Sign in to follow this  
memm

PCI Based Graphics Cards (and sound cards)

Hi,

Couldn't find a previous discussion on this.

I have an old server with lots of RAM but only PCI and PCI-X slots.

Does anyone know of GPU cards that are PCI based of similar or better performances then:

Nvidia Geforce 8800GT

Nvidia Geforce 7800

ATI Radeon 4850

ATI Radeon 1800

.... while we're at it could anyone recommend sound cards?

Thanks In Advance.

Dedicated Servers do not use video nor sound cards. High frequency CPU and goo-gobs of ram are whats needed in servers.

...Syn...

The bandwidth you'll get out of a PCI video card is very low compared to PCIE. Most servers don't actually support graphics cards, as in the manufacturers never intend them to be used so they don't test them in that configuration at all. The BIOS and IRQ settings may not work well with an added video card either.

Even today, high-end Dell servers (newest 11th gens) ship with an onboard graphics chip with 8MB VRAM. Its only designed to be used in a datacenter environment and most of the stuff people do on a server isn't done using the server's video at all, its all terminal services/RDP/VNC or virtualization.

My server at home doesn't even have a monitor :-) I SSH into it if I need to do anything.

Good luck though if you get it to work! I hope you are able to!

Hi,

I understand ... consider it an experiment.

still any ... recommendations for a good graphics card and sound card.

@memm

forget it. Actually available are just some Matrox cards for PCI and those are not capable to run the game even at lowest ever possible settings. Same goes for possible cards you might find on eBay or similar platforms. Most likely it will fail at the point where DX9 support is required. PCI cards are just too old to support this, let alone the usual VRAM at these times (64MB was a lot back then).

Before waisting time and money, drop this project and make a ArmA 2 server out of it (if it can handle it).

Not to mention that I don't think any PCI GPU supports shader model 3.0; which the game REQUIRES to run

Like what's been said before, don't waste your money

years ago, when im purchase my All-In-Wonder 1900 Ati card, im notice than PCI version also saled, along with PCIe, i bought.

also noticed that something like 5650 and 5450 was made in PCI versions, but never saw such things "in person".