Sign in to follow this  
Choki

Iron Front - Liberation 1944, new WW2 game on A2:OA engine

Just let's return to discuss the game.

What about your ideas and wishes? What do you want to realise in game?

Edited by Ingeneer

Offhand I would say...

Horses

Maybe a hollow haystack with a door and a firing slit? (It would have to otherwise be the same as a nonhollow haystack)

Working guard dogs?

If its not planned with the current game, maybe a race to Berlin expansion/dlc?

Will you ever consider doing the western front or the Pacific?

I really hope that High Command stays in the editor, as I would like to command Soviet and German platoons, companies, and even larger formations. If some tactical symbols correct for the period are included, so much the better!

http://army.armor.kiev.ua/hist/takznaki.shtml

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/symbols/_symbols_43.html

Just jumping on the swastika waggon again:

All other games get censored here in germany and the german version only. The game will not be censored for all people, so get over it.

Will this thread be continued here, or will you open a forum soon?

Its a shame that Games are not recognized as Art here in Germany. Is it different in other countrys?

Id like something in the infantry section that would separate it a bit more from Arma. Perhaps a detailed reload animation, hands that holds vehicle/static machine guns,

some sort of small detail that sets it a little bit apart.

Edited by sparks50

Our tracks are animated on the halftracks. Without corrections to the engine)

Awesome! I44 mod should try to find out aswell how to get it to work. I know its all small details but that's what people look at these days. You could have a million vehicles, features and weapons but if for example the weapons don't have their bolts animated it is a down factor. Every thing should be properly animated and its a shame that bis didn't do that in their game. Look at the steering wheels pilot sticks and mounted weapons why are there no hands attached to? Please consider to add proper animations in this game I know it will take a lot of work in the arma2 engine but I'm sure it will be all worth it in the end!

Its a shame that Games are not recognized as Art here in Germany. Is it different in other countrys?

I wouldn't say it is just Germany, in many parts of the world games are censored from things that all other forms of media have such as movies

just look at the recent medal of honor fiasco

, why is that I wonder..is it the interactive element?

Moving on..animations would definately be a great addition and bring more life to the game from the players eyes. Also will this be a stand alone game or will it require Arma2/Arrowhead to be used, like an expansion?

I'd say it is not considered as art, because you can influence the outcome or interact with the game. All the other forms of art are finished/done and dont require any input.

I don't think video games are art, however there is one being released that was made purposefully to be art. It was on the PC gamer site a month ago.

I don't know exactly why Germany censors certain things, but I doubt it's because they want to forget history. Even if so, coming from the USA, it would by quite hypocritical to scoff at Germany for 'rewriting' history.

But hopefully the US version won't be censored; I'm not sure if that makes for seamless online play between the two versions? (People in the USA would see the swastika while Germans see Mickey Mouse? :-)

I don't think we meant, or at least I did not mean a direct forget, it wasn't the right word. I understand the history would be kept and taught, and that people would honor those lost during the war. It was more of a..pushing it aside when it comes to gaming, not a literal not acknowledging that it never happened. It is the fact that the symbol can be seen in every form of entertainment but games..books, movies, nobody cares about those but when it comes to games many things become "edgy".

The only difference online would be texture changes which shouldn't cause any difficulties, it would be no different than different languages in the game itself causing problems online.

Edited by NodUnit

Ok guys, I think this is pretty much OT. Political discussions don't belong to this thread! B2T :icon_exclaim:

I'd say it is not considered as art, because you can influence the outcome or interact with the game. All the other forms of art are finished/done and dont require any input.

Whether or not it's art is simply dependent on the intentions of the creators, IMO. If they want to make a game as art, then it's art.

But this thread isn't about whether or not games are art. This game looks interesting, I'll be watching it closely.

Every game is Art for me, there was always someone who carefully designed everything, the levels and Maps for example. I can´t understand that this is not considered Art. I mean, just look at Bioshock.

Every game is Art for me, there was always someone who carefully designed everything, the levels and Maps for example. I can´t understand that this is not considered Art. I mean, just look at Bioshock.

Or Team Fortress 2. Some of the finest digital hattery I have ever witnessed. :cool:

Perhaps it is due to the media itself, games in the past have and to this day can achieve in even better fidelity between novel and movie. They could be so much more than what they currnetly are but there is no market for it because much the population still believes that games should be things for 'kids'..which is why we openly have war games and GTA.

Imagine a world where video games are used for more than the soul purpose entertainment that we know them as, imagine Heavy Rain, expanding to graphic novels of the past or future, you read through the story but you also play through it. Now imagine video games used as training tools, this already exists in simulations but again it could be more...and perhaps even education, kids love to play video games so why not make ones tailored to education that don't have the silly childlike asthetic or tutorial method. You could turn these into shooters, puzzle games, platformers, adventures..the possibilities COULD be endless.

Imagine a new video game store, one where you have rows upon rows of video games that span beyond the typical shooter or racer, interactive books of all kinds, video games as it were..could span to far many more things, hell just look at casual games, they are doing an excellent job with themselves so why can't the same concept be taken in 'video games'?

The problem is that while people, especially critics love to plob on about how games are art, they are also ready to shoot down games trying to bridge out that could in future tighten the gap.

It is a shame because video games could be used in far more ways, education is a great example, not necessarily fully replacing books but pending on how the medium is used, it could be a good and more cost efficient alternative, it is also possible that students would WANT to play it and therefore want to learn, even if they are subconciously learning.

Electronic media has been proven to work, just think back to the days when you went to those simple classes and played games where by solving math problems you achieved a higher score and got to the next level, the brain was learning and taking in the lessons of math while the will to strive for success was there..you may have actually looked forward to playing so you could get a higher score, all while you were still learning.

well this could be neat http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109835-Games-Now-Legally-Considered-an-Art-Form-in-the-USA

Can we still talk about it in spoilers

Edited by NodUnit

very off topic all this, Just enjoy this future great game

I'd still like to know if it will be stand alone or a sort of expansion, like Red Alert A path beyond to C&C renegade, same engine but doesn't require the original to play it.

I'd still like to know if it will be stand alone or a sort of expansion, like Red Alert A path beyond to C&C renegade, same engine but doesn't require the original to play it.

As they have licensed the engine, i guess it'll be a stand alone game.

I guess It´ll be a Stand alone game or I Hope it at least

Just gave the Invasion 1944 mod a try and loved it. Loved the atmosphere in the missions. High quality mod. Can't wait for this game to be released.

Are they not by the same people? The same models are being used.

I don't think so. The units may seem similar, but i guess that is just this way because they are depicting the same units and maybe had similar sources.