Sign in to follow this  
critanda

SP Mission: Vulcan

ARMA 2 CO SP MISSION: VULCAN v1.1

I have previously made two missions. I released them when ARMA 2 were kind of new. Since then I didn't really have time to create anything new, even though I got pretty good response from those. I just got back into the game again and decided to make a new mission, cause that's the part I like most about this game. I don't know how the community has been evolving, so I hope that my mission wont feel outdated.

PREVIOUS MISSIONS

SP Mission: Operation Enable Sky

SP Mission: Morning Assault

MISSION SHORT INFO

You lead a squad of ten men. Your mission is to destroy three targets at the enemy location. After the objective is done you will need to meet at the extraction point.

CHANGE LOG

Thanks for all the feedback! I realised that I might have released the mission too soon, but it's hard when you don't have anyone to test it. I've fixed everything that has been brought up and also added alot of stuff.

- Completely reworked how the chopper extraction works. Should now be reliable.

- Added ammo crate in the camp with different weapons stocked.

- Adjusted equipment for player and entire squad.

- Changed weather, should now be less fog and rain. The weather won't just switch agressivly anymore.

- There is now a chance that enemy reinforcement will spawn when destroying an objective.

- Added cinematic intro and outro.

- Added two additional objectives.

- Polished enemy positions and much more.

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/9239/example1e.jpg 291 kb

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/8982/example2s.jpg 215 kb

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/7891/example4o.jpg 310 kb

Download here:

Vulcan Mission v1.1 on ArmaHolic

Vulcaon Mission 1.1 on MediaFire

Feedback much appriciated!

Edited by critanda

Welcome back.

I think you are in the ballpark. Maybe to 'catch-up' to what you think you are behind in, is to use an addon that the community has created.

Nice mission. Thanks for your hard labors.

My thoughts on the mission:

1.) I like a varied load out and for missions like this, I prefer SD weapons. I think most players prefer using their fav toys instead of being forced to use the mission designers. IMHO.

2.) I'm assuming the Lead is an engineer, therefore, I'd like to see a sub-title that each AA has been taken out.

3.) The difficulty I had was trying to find the last AA, which I still haven't. I would suggest having the guards post manned with stationary high caliber machine guns.

4.) I didn't reach the Extraction just yet, but hopefully you have a surprise waiting like a patrol riding in with trucks or a helicopter or something...

3.) The difficulty I had was trying to find the last AA, which I still haven't. I would suggest having the guards post manned with stationary high caliber machine guns.

I suppose there are only 3 AAs, not 4 as on the map. I haven't found anthing on the last mark. Are you sure you destroyed them? They need to explode and go up in flames for the objective to complete. I needed 2 satchels for each, not 1 as stated. Good, that my mates carry some in their backpacks.

I was playing without ACE, so maybe that was the problem as this was created mainly for ACE.

Haven't finsished the mission yet. I will give some more feedback later.

^^^^

You could be on to something there. I'll try it out with ACE and two satchels per AA.

Thanks!!

Welcome back.

1.) I like a varied load out and for missions like this, I prefer SD weapons. I think most players prefer using their fav toys instead of being forced to use the mission designers. IMHO.

I have to disagree on this one. One of the biggest "turn-offs" for me is a briefing screen loaded with all the US or Russian arsenal. It's just feels childish and shows lack of inspiration on part of the mission creator. As a player I would like to feel the creator have thought carefully on the load-outs, the weapons and the amount of ammo. moreover, in this way you can find out more weapons than those you got used to and like.

thanks for the mission critanda, it was nice to play it.

My comments:

I disliked the feedback request message at the beginning of the mission. It's one thing to put it on the briefing, but putting such a request inside the mission simply damages the immersion in my opinion.

The Blackhawk acted wierd. In my first attempt I suddenly saw it sliding down the hill, pilots possibly jumped out. Of course it was damaged, forcing me to revert. I dont think it received damaged.

In my second attempt it did a nice minigun fly-over and killed some takis, which was very nice. I like hot LZ extractions. However, after two of my squad boarded it, it flew off, only to return and land again (maybe a respond to my "all board" and "all disembark commands. However it flew to some point and stopped in mid-air, and got stucked there.

Variable is correct.

Not sure if there is a "correctness" involved with style and enjoyment of play.

I am assuming, though not sure because I lack total experience in performing real live stealth missions or 'go loud', whether as to the operative is given a choice or not with a weapons layout.

I am going out on a limb and saying "yes", they are given a choice, within reason as it pertains to the mission at hand with appropriate approval.

SO THERE!!:nerner:

Played "Vulcan" without ACE2X mod/addons.

Some suggestion:

+ check if all of the team have the right weapon + ammo

+ add a small weapon crate with only few (!!) weapons at the camp

+ remove the pistols/handguns and other non-mission related stuff from AI

+ check weather effects they're imho switching too fast

+ add random OPFOR reinforcments so the player can't wait/have a break after blowing up these ZSU-23-4 "Shilka".

+ place some open vehicles, just in case of helicopter crash

+ make a intro + outro (eg infiltration, exfiltration)

+ maybe add optional sidemissions eg find documents/info, destroy a roadblock, lay mines etc

:)

I am assuming, though not sure because I lack total experience in performing real live stealth missions or 'go loud', whether as to the operative is given a choice or not with a weapons layout.

I am going out on a limb and saying "yes", they are given a choice, within reason as it pertains to the mission at hand with appropriate approval.

There's nothing enjoyable about having a lot of junk in the mission selection screen and realizing that the mission wasn't made with any kind of balance in mind - not only it looks amateurish - but it means that the designer tested it with his own favourite weapon and when you then start playing it with the weapon of your choice you find it either incredibly easy or unbearably hard. Or even totally unfit to that kind of weapon.

Best missions are usually the ones that give you ~4 weapons of the same class and have everything balanced for the most enjoyable way of using them.

Edited by metalcraze

Thanks for all the feedback! I realised that I might have released the mission too soon, but it's hard when you don't have anyone to test it. I've fixed everything that has been brought up and also added alot of stuff.

NoRailgunner, thanks for those suggestions. I incorporated almost everything in your list :)

About style and enjoyment of play refer to Metalcraze's well put reply.

About realism, I am sorry to say that you are wrong. Operators train on a range of weapons, and specialize on several, that is true. However, once a mission is assigned, the weapons will be selected, usually by the commander prior to the mission and if there is time to train, models will be carried out with the assigned arsenal. In any case, there will be no "choose the gun of your choice out of the US arsenal". This limited weapon selection will be done only out of those the operator is trained upon which will not be more than a few. Hence, again, Metalcraze's reply.

However, during active war, like this mission and like most missions simulated by the ArmA 2 community, operations are carried out in a short notice, possibly not allowing any weapon selection, each operator uses his personal weapon, in which he specializes.

Critanda - I liked this mission, but I REALLY liked your "Enable Sky" mission. Loved moving around with the AFV and hitting those Tunguskas. The final battle was epic.

The community thanks you, please keep on making missions!

Edited by Variable

There's nothing enjoyable about having a lot of junk in the mission selection screen and realizing that the mission wasn't made with any kind of balance in mind - not only it looks amateurish - but it means that the designer tested it with his own favourite weapon and when you then start playing it with the weapon of your choice you find it either incredibly easy or unbearably hard. Or even totally unfit to that kind of weapon.

Best missions are usually the ones that give you ~4 weapons of the same class and have everything balanced for the most enjoyable way of using them.

You have valid points and agree to most of them.

I'd be interested to know what they do, in the military, right at that moment they hand the operative his weapons.

I'm sure they plan things out precisely as possible, but for me, I like SD...

Silent but Deadly..........

---------- Post added at 12:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 AM ----------

About style and enjoyment of play refer to Metalcraze's well put reply.

About realism, I am sorry to say that you are wrong. Operators train on a range of weapons, and specialize on several, that is true. However, once a mission is assigned, the weapons will be selected, usually by the commander prior to the mission and if there is time to train, models will be carried out with the assigned arsenal. In any case, there will be no "choose the gun of your choice out of the US arsenal". This limited weapon selection will be done only out of those the operator is trained upon which will not be more than a few. Hence, again, Metalcraze's reply.

However, during active war, like this mission and like most missions simulated by the ArmA 2 community, operations are carried out in a short notice, possibly not allowing any weapon selection, each operator uses his personal weapon, in which he specializes.

Understood.................

Hello,

first of all, i wanna thank u for the mission and the work u done! :)

I enjoy the mission, but the gameplay is going to straight, that means, no surprises, and if u choose the right weapons the enemy is neutralized in a minute!

But i like the idea and my respect for creating a mission!

I wanna thank you with this statement/test on "ArmA2News"!

Please feel free to read it!

http://www.arma2news.de/forum/8-arma2news-diskussionen/124-mission-vulcan-einzelspieler

Best regards

McLupo

Step by step to a better version :)

Imho it would be better if you let the player decide to lay mines, to fight or to run. Those pink spheres are a bit too gamey...

+ add some randomness into reinforcments eg number of units and direction.

+ add just a radio call from HQ saying that enemy reinforcements are on their way and that the player has to decide the next steps on his own discretion

+ maybe make an option so player can choose to play this mission in a different day time/weather condition? Something more for replayability...