Sign in to follow this  
Barso

ARMA2 installed to a SSD?

I just purchased a 120GB solid state drive for my OS install.

But will arma 2 benefit much from being installed to it?

Thanks.

Click here -> enter SSD -> click on Go -> read.

We have countless SSD threads here already, all you have to do is using the forum search.

I have it on SSD, and it seems the loading of object is faster and smoother when flying around, than before when i had it on normal HDD.

So, you might get a much smoother gameplay, but that depends on your gameplay, and also on many more other factors (ie: if your HW is generally a pice of crap, then SSD alone wont help anything)

Yeah, installing it on my SSD really helped with object model details being loaded instantly when i turn around / zoom in. Def good idea to buy an SSD if you can.

Its been a while since i last played arma 2 on my mechanical hdd. i recently got a 120gb ssd and installed it on that and so far so good. cant comment whether it is faster then a mechanical hdd for arma 2 as i have not played it for a while but it seems to load quite fast and the fact that for me anyway, it takes longer to connect to a server rather then loading the game world

I just purchased a 120GB solid state drive for my OS install.

But will arma 2 benefit much from being installed to it?

Thanks.

sure. its also enlarge you ego. a bit.

but slower than using RAMdisk and less reliable than hdd.

Actually, they are significantly more reliable than HDDs (unless you are using a very old one).

but slower than using RAMdisk and less reliable than hdd.

1. Less reliable than HDD?

My SSD comes with 2 million hour MTBF rating, and i got extended 5 year warranty on it (though even those standard 3 years would be more than enough).

Anyway, maybe after 10 years my SSD will be dead, and your HDD will still run, but will it matter then?

The oldest part of my computer is 2.5 years old, and it is the keyboard.

Even if this argument would be valid, it is irrelevant when choosing between SSD or HDD.

2. Slower than using RAMdisk?

True, but how big is your Arma 2 installation? will it fit in your ramdisk?

My Arma 2 installation takes up to 34 GB, which means i would have to buy machine with at least 38 GB of RAM to be able to use ramdisk to fit all those data and still have at least 4GB left for OS and the game.

So... i'll vote for the SSD any day.

1. Less reliable than HDD?

My SSD comes with 2 million hour MTBF rating, and i got extended 5 year warranty on it (though even those standard 3 years would be more than enough).

Anyway, maybe after 10 years my SSD will be dead, and your HDD will still run, but will it matter then?

The oldest part of my computer is 2.5 years old, and it is the keyboard.

Even if this argument would be valid, it is irrelevant when choosing between SSD or HDD.

2. Slower than using RAMdisk?

True, but how big is your Arma 2 installation? will it fit in your ramdisk?

My Arma 2 installation takes up to 34 GB, which means i would have to buy machine with at least 38 GB of RAM to be able to use ramdisk to fit all those data and still have at least 4GB left for OS and the game.

So... i'll vote for the SSD any day.

I fitted 24GB of RAM with the intention of putting A2 into a RAMdisk,a 40GB game folder just doesn't seem to fit in there now, damn those quality mods. ;)

SSD runs it pretty much perfectly I would say and I also even haven't felt the urge to RAMdisk the game as beta and official updates have improved it so much as make RAMdisk pointless.

SSDs are now pretty damn reliable and if you are worried about data loss just back it up or keep the stuff you really don't want to use on an HDD.