Sign in to follow this  

The Tillman Story

Hi Everyone,

This movie was released in 2010, and I must say, it's amazing. I know the story dates way back to 2004, but this movie is all but old.

I recommend anyone with some spare time to give it a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568334/

Pat Tillman never thought of himself as a hero. His choice to leave a multimillion-dollar football contract and join the military wasn't done for any reason other than he felt it was the right thing to do. The fact that the military manipulated his tragic death in the line of duty into a propaganda tool is unfathomable and thoroughly explored in Amir Bar-Lev's riveting and enraging documentary.

Richie.

Is it true to the facts or is it like the Jessica Lynch movie? Either way TBH it's not much of a story. He turned down a multi-million contract, enlisted in the Army, Became a Ranger, was killed by friendly fire in Afghanistan, the US Army tries to make him out to be Audie Murphy and fails, end of story.

I respect him, but the only reason everyone went up in flames over it is because he's Pat Tillman. If it was PFC Joe Blow no one would give a shit. There's stories out there about regular soldiers no one's heard about that are way more moving than Pat Tillman's I'm sorry. If you want to watch something that'll blow you away watch Restrepo.

Edited by Big Mac

I have seen Restrepo, Armadillo, and countless other Afghan/Iraq war movies.

When I started watching the Pat Tillman story, I thought the same as you, that it was only popular because of who he was.

However, the story is not about him because of who he was, it was about how he and an Afghan soldier were killed, and how the government not only covered it up, but right up to the ranks of George Bush they lied about all the events of that day.

The movie actually exposes the true events of Jessica Lynch as well, and it pretty much tells everything as it is. Honestly, I wouldn't say it was good if it was just an "army recruiting video".

It's more of an anti war video tbh!

What strikes me, is how he and an Afghan soldier were supposedly caught up in an intense ambush, and in the fog of war, they were both killed by friendly fire.

However, there is no valid proof at all of any enemies what so ever, more likely a soldier accidentally discharged his weapon causing a lot of panic. The soldiers all opened fire with all weapons into the top of the valley they were stuck in.

Hearing the fire, a part of the convoy that was 0.5 miles ahead ran back to support their friends. Pat and this Afghan guy were on a ridge, about 50 metres away, did not fire their weapons at all, and were fully engaged by their team mates. A SAW, 50.cal M2, and two rifleman engaged their position, in clear daylight.

Pat deployed smoke, and the firing stopped, and everyone was screaming "friendly fire". They assumed the squad had realised it was friendly fire, and stood up. The vehicle and squad then moved to a better position, re-engaged, and Pat was shot 3 times in the head. The Afghan soldier was shot 8 times. And I believe 3 other soldiers were wounded as well.

It was not just, "fog of war" friendly fire, it was absolute death by negligence. When you read some of the soldiers reports, it's scary.

Anyway, the documentary explains it much better than I can, but it really is worth a watch.

Richie.

I read the book about him because it was written by John Krakauer, who has written some good books in the past. I wasn't super impressed by the book overall but his interviews from friends and family revealed some disturbing things the Army did in regards to Pat Tillman and his family's atheism/agnosticism or whatever you want to call it. They basically refused to acknowledge he wasn't religious and they ignored the requests to waive standard Christian military traditions. Then they insulted the family by saying their persistent inquiry into his death must be because they believe he is "worm dirt" and not in heaven.

I read the book about him because it was written by John Krakauer, who has written some good books in the past. I wasn't super impressed by the book overall but his interviews from friends and family revealed some disturbing things the Army did in regards to Pat Tillman and his family's atheism/agnosticism or whatever you want to call it. They basically refused to acknowledge he wasn't religious and they ignored the requests to waive standard Christian military traditions. Then they insulted the family by saying their persistent inquiry into his death must be because they believe he is "worm dirt" and not in heaven.
There's no such thing as a atheist in a foxhole, didn't ya know?