Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

Well, what are the other options? Some people have suggested it might be short for the name of an expansion ("Arma2: Free XYZ" or something), but to be honest I can't think of a name containing "free" that wouldn't sound corny.

Maybe it is tied to the guerrilla clue (as in, Freedom Fighters ?). Like Alwarren, I'm hoping for some new content for Arma 2... Arma 3 is still so far into the future (and I don't mean the setting, but 2012 :D)

And the free content they released so far was called "lite" because that's exactly what it was: watered down content provided for compatibility reasons only. It wasn't truly free content, in that sense. ;)

True, but a reduced version of Arma for free would also be "watered down".

I also don't really see what BIS would gain from it, from a commercial standpoint... sales ? I think that's what demos do. A gift to the community because of the 10th anniversary ? We all own Arma already (most of us, I'd say, own OFP, Arma and Arma 2 with all expansions and DLC already).

*nudges BIS* come on, spill the beans... what's arma2free.exe

I know what arma2free.exe is, that's simple... it's just arma2 + dx10 and physyx... we will get it to make some tests before arma3 will be released.

I also don't really see what BIS would gain from it, from a commercial standpoint... sales ?

What did Monolith/Activision gain from releasing F.E.A.R. Combat for free? I'm not a marketing expert, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

But I believe it may be positive for them simply by raising awareness of the Arma series. Arma2 is two years old (OA almost 1 year), so sales probably won't be as high as they used to be. I don't think they will really be concerned about losing sales by releasing a portion of the game for free at this point. But it will probably get a bunch of people interested, as it lowers the barrier for anyone to try it out. It will also gain some publicity.

This could potentially increase the size of the core fanbase (especially with PR:Arma2 coming out soon), leading to increased sales of Arma3 a year down the road.

That's my theory.

What did Monolith/Activision gain from releasing F.E.A.R. Combat for free? I'm not a marketing expert, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

That was a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig mistake on Monoliths behalf that was.

Although i hope that all the mods that were created for arma 2 can be used straight into arma 3

Bohemia Interactive i love you. Alot.

I am going to hazard a guess with all the substantial changes that would be a no without tweaking?

If you prefer old school weapons and equipment, wait until you see the OPFOR guerilla faction. They wont be shooting with HK OICW's etc

so im pretty sure you will also be satisfied

Well this is set in the near future, in a full on conventional conflict, which is, I beleive what the Comanche was developed for. I'm sure in real life, if the need arose, the project could be revived quickly. In fact, what with stories of the "Stealth Blackhawk" perhaps it was never cancelled at all? ;)

No chance the Comanche would be revived quickly as it just didn't do the job it was supposed to.

Stealth Blackhawk is a misnomer. Good luck on hiding radar reflections from the big whirly disc. More likely it was noise reductions.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/silent-rotor-blades-could-lead-to-true-stealth-helicopters/4663

Well, what are the other options? Some people have suggested it might be short for the name of an expansion ("Arma2: Free XYZ" or something), but to be honest I can't think of a name containing "free" that wouldn't sound corny.

"Freedom Fighters"? Sounds a bit like Resistance, don't you think ;)

In any case, I am certain there is something to come still :)

For sure! But lets bitch and whine until we get new information. ;)

That's how you get things done :D

with your shitty little 20rnd mag, di-optic sight G3.

The H&K G3 is a very good, solid 7.62 NATO weapon. Really nice and solid to fire.

Brian :)

i miss H&K G3. Im like that rifle in ofp :)

No chance the Comanche would be revived quickly as it just didn't do the job it was supposed to.

Stealth Blackhawk is a misnomer. Good luck on hiding radar reflections from the big whirly disc. More likely it was noise reductions.

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/smart-takes/silent-rotor-blades-could-lead-to-true-stealth-helicopters/4663

Sure it did, but they pushed it too far, at the time the commanche and the apache were competing, commanche would have been an exceptional scout aircraft but when they tried to make it attack there was just no way it could keep the stealth element AND carry the arsenal the apache could.

What I don't get is why Nvidia has an Arma3 profile a year before the release (and we all know it's gonna be delayed 4-6 months).

DX10 is the minimal requirement, but it might support DX11. (Like Civ V, for example.)

No official info yet.

Yeah i mentioned yesterday that they'll probably go the route a lot of dev's have done lately (like with Shogun 2 and Crysis 2) and tack on DX11 features rather than build on it completely. That's assuming they go anywhere near DX11 at all.

What I don't get is why Nvidia has an Arma3 profile a year before the release (and we all know it's gonna be delayed 4-6 months).

This may be something to do with BIS using some sort of PhysX SDK? Not really sure about all that stuff though.

Brian :)

Do you think terrain tesselation could be possible?

I'm crossing my fingers on that one, especially since I don't see much of a performance hit from tesselation, though I can't speak for everyone.

I will buy Arma 3 for sure. It's not TOO far in the future, and I'm sure it will attempt to be realistic in the same vein as all BIS games. It looks Great!

An as yet unvoiced physx opinion:

Regarding PhysX, I have seen inaccurate analogies ("it's like saying that because I can't have a Ferrari, no one can", or "I won't buy this because I have an AMD card").

The real issue for me is that physx is used by nVidia as a tool to gain MARKETshare. It's a cool sdk that, in imaginationland where companies put something like graphics advancement before their bottom lines, would be great.

Instead people who otherwise would have been able to get better effects (if not for lack of game development monetary subsidies) will be limited.

Then again maybe physx will be able to be hacked for this particular game...:)

Watercooling here I come!

Release day purchase for me.

Wait, what am I saying....I'll preorder it as soon as it's avaliable. :yay:

Thats becuase BIS probably have a game version is which they are using (screen shots show this) to test all the PhysX componets and they have most likely Beta Testers who are on the job who need these profiles to run the game well :rolleyes:

Thats becuase BIS probably have a game version is which they are using (screen shots show this) to test all the PhysX componets and they have most likely Beta Testers who are on the job who need these profiles to run the game well :rolleyes:

Let us hope that with nVidia supplying the PhysX SDK, it's going to be a true the way it's meant to be played military simulator with ragdolls for infantry and some vehicles, and that is - ArmA 3. :yay:

i think i figured out of BI hacking problems out it has something to do with arma 3 look at the map that they found in the box earlier it show routes of where europe has been captured or being attacked and then read the arma 3 story line paragraph it says that europe is the last stand for the nato force i put some of it together a little after reading into it about it has nothing to do with p8p8 it is just some thing about the arma 3's story line and the hms ship earlier probably has to do someting with the underwater pics

Edited by deadpool2894

i think i figured it out it has something to do with arma 3

Wtf - Do tell more! :eek:

Edit: forgot it was just posting stuff on forums and not actually hacking stuff...

Edited by D.Ginzbourg

D.Ginzbourg, the "hacking" was fake. It was an alternate reality game by BIS to unveil Arma 3. If you're getting spam, it means you're getting it from/through someone/something else.