Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

And what exactly would you call what Dwarden, Suma, Gaia, and all other BI programmers do on a daily basis? Are they just digging up old forks from the Poseiden svn?

"Oh hey Maruk, think I'll introduce this AoTC feature finally because folks want more features. I'll wait a couple months before I add that Render-to-Texture feature I worked on back in '99"

Pretty sure that's not what I was trying to say...

I'm too busy to dig for the actual links, but look up this game called "Take On: Helicopters". Your explanation for larger worlds will be hidden within :icon_rolleyes:

True, I do remember the article you're talking about, I think it was the PC Gamer Interview. Yeah it's bigger but not compared to the size of Europe. I realise the fact that map of Europe was shown does not necesarily mean that's what the map will be. Then again maybe it does.

Because your opinion, as you stated it, is based on proper savy information, or first hand experience? Which of the two? Or was it based only on your "gamer gut feeling"?

Sorry "bud" but you seem to really know what you were saying there, being so confident about BIS hitting the wall with their ongoing development on the RV engine not that far in the future.

Please excuse my non-professional 2 cents on the matter in that case

Because its an opinion. Do you know me? are you part of my family? Do we work together? Is your opinion of me based on the fact you are god? Jesus christ, calm down and I retract my opinion. I will keep my opinion for myself. Sorry I posted it here. Had nothing to do with them even hitting it yet. There is still life in the current engine no doubt. You are right, I shall have no new opinions on this forum. Thank you for setting me straight.

This thread has gone nuts. Flame war!

My two cents is that I hope its an expansion to be released in a few months and an proper sequel to be released in 3 years time. OFP had 5 years, why not Game 2?

I think anything would make us happy at this point. As long as theres some improved functionality included, we're all for it :)

There are limitations on the way we can interact with water, the AI still struggles with pathfinding and with each release, although the maps get larger, they are balanced between greater size and detail aginst making the demand on player's systems too heavy.

I am aware of both water limitations, as well as AI ones. I wave also had an eye on Outerra since the site got up (don't get me wrong, that engine looks to shape as a great one). Even so, i still don't understand how Outerra could fix those ares, since there has been no mention about either of those features in it. Maybe there is some information/demo about AI behavior or water simulation on those forums i am not aware of, and you would be willing to share with me.

All aspect's of this engine are clearly being improved but you don't have to be an expert to realise that newer technology means possibilites could be expanded further.

Could you be more precise in regards of what new technology you are talking about here that RV engine is missing or is unable to get implemented?

You don't need to provide concrete evidence for every single thing you say, especially on a forum. There would be very little conversation in the world if that were the case.

Yes, you are right, if it was a conversation.

You either have some sort of (general/particular) understanding about how and engine is working, or you base your words on some sort of comparison between some tech demos or released information.

My speculation is based on the first clue, the map which covers an area far greater than the current engine is capable of and the words "The World Will Change" which of course are open to interpretation.

Of course it is. Still, i see no reason why you choose Outerra over say...

I would also like to say that the way you have been talking to other forum user's throughout this thread has disgraceful and rude. There is no need for it, especially here.

I am sorry if i have hurt your feelings or others for that matter. I thought this was a forum based on some rules, and afaik i can tell, i haven't broke any

And what exactly would you call what Dwarden, Suma, Gaia, and all other BI programmers do on a daily basis? Are they just digging up old forks from the Poseiden svn?

with all due respect to Dwarden, afaik he was brought in as a Steam manager, not a RV programmer. get your knowledge on !

-Ziggy-;1927029']with all due respect to Dwarden' date=' afaik he was brought in as a Steam manager, not a RV programmer. get your knowledge on ![/quote']

Suma is Lead Coder so he is the one who shall be mentioned as coder in first place

I'm here for online distribution and as community manager plus work noone else want to do ... :D

aka the 25/7/366 workload

... plus work noone else want to do ...

Nobody else wants to tell us what is going on yet. Guess that is your job to tell us then eh? :p

One day they are going to have to kill that engine and move on. Because your statement concludes that arma 2 still has the same engine as OFP but revamped. Pointless to keep moving down the same road. Eventually there is nothing new you can do with it.

Well, when you revamp an existing engine enough, you can eventually call it a new engine. Because what we see are games with incrementally revamped engines, it's difficult to say finally what version represents a new version.

As for hitting the wall of the engine's limits, well I don't see that happening as long as parts are continually rewritten.

Personally, I think people who are hoping for a port to the Outtera engine are wanting huge scale just for the sake of it. Look at FSX: you've got the whole world modelled (very poorly), whereas in Wings of Prey you have a small area, perfect for engagements, modelled with virtual photorealism.

I'd prefer it if the next development of Arma scaled back the size of the maps a bit and introduced a much more realistic terrain mesh and full physics model (calculated on the graphics card using an engine that is not proprietory to either Ati or Nvidia). What would we lose? - Jets would be far less fun to fly and we wouldn't have big, laggy MP games of Warfare that last 5 hours and crash the server before either side can win.

I'm sure there are plenty who'd wail and gnash their teeth, but I'd be really happy if Bis decided to focus on slightly smaller-scale conflicts if it meant they could focus their attention on a higher quality infantry and tanking experience. This would stand a good chance of getting new customers to buy an Arma game.

If the announcement really is going to be Arma 3, then Bis really need to make sure the animation system is fully overhauled. Hope the devs have been paying close attention to the community PvP animations that have been released recently. CQB and throwing grenades badly need to be improved.

Nobody else wants to tell us what is going on yet. Guess that is your job to tell us then eh? :p

i would like to tell You that ... but then they must kill me and also everyone told :)

I doubt Bohemia can cope with the insane effort involved to change engines completely which is why I don't believe in the Outerra theory. What I believe, or rather hope, is that someday they do major rewrites of their own engine core to use updated libraries and modern techniques while still keeping their current set of features. They are already doing that in small steps from OFP to the games today, but to me it looks like they are basically stacking that on top of the original OFP core rather than changing the core itself, causing the engine to act really slow and raising the hardware requirements to the crazy level it is at right now. Maybe I am wrong, as I have no idea what their code really is like, but it's what it looks like to me on the outside. So I'll assume that nice features like perhaps an much improved AI, or the speculated physics engine from the ARG, or whatever else you are looking forward to, requires an updated base unless they want to keep demanding insane hardware specifications for the upcoming games. Would you want ArmA3 to run only on a 12 Core Supercomputer from Mars?

What I'm saying would be the same route other engines that developers have specialized themselve on went. Someone mentioned CoD and Q3 engine, another example would be Valve and the Source Engine which originated from Quake 2 - and that came a long way too through such rewrites and can display some nice stuff with really low hardware requirements.

Having said that, I can't say if ArmA3 or whatever they are going to announce tomorrow will do ANY of this. There is no proof for that, and it's wishful thinking. I don't even know if Bohemia can financially afford such a undertaking or not.

I guess we'll just have to see tomorrow what it'll be, we all seem to have different expectations what it might be and what they did to get there. And while some like PuFu seem to be disturbed by the expectations we post, I like reading about it and look forward to see tomorrow who was closest to the reality (and who was off the most) :)

I believe what we can expect is:

1) Larger world (Europe / Greece hacks)

2) Improved (under)water simulation (submarine hack)

3) Overhauled physics engine (sphere wall hack)

The rest of the hacks were hinting towards the actual gameplay.

As for Outerra/FSX sized world, I believe that is a little out of the realms of possibility for now.

I just don't see them licensing somebody else's engine. That isn't who Bohemia Interactive is.

Well said!

From Poseidon on this has been Ondrej's baby... that's NOT going to change...

B

Well I hope its an announcement that we are going to get the entire green sea region in a single map. (A new campaign to go along with it would be nice too).

@PuFu My assumptions (I'll admit that's what they are) are based on Tech Videos demonstrating the Flight Model, Vehicle Physics, Water and the ability for people to walk around etc. And also the aspirations and goals of the developers mentioned in the occasional blog or forum post.

I wasn't aware of the Infinity Engine, you're right it does seem to offer the same scope as Outerra, thnks for telling me about it.

I appreciate your apology, thank you.

Well said!

From Poseidon on this has been Ondrej's baby... that's NOT going to change...

Ondrej

Outerra-----> :firefoxlover: <-Real Virtuality

Edited by WackyIraqi

Well they might have been working on Arma3 but, i still think it should take a while for it to be released. I prefer ato have an extremely optimized game, than for it to be released ASAP.

Aa for hardware, we are less than 1 month from having 8 cores, with advanced instruction sets, like XOP and FMA4.

Well they might have been working on Arma3 but, i still think it should take a while for it to be released. I prefer ato have an extremely optimized game, than for it to be released ASAP.

Aa for hardware, we are less than 1 month from having 8 cores, with advanced instruction sets, like XOP and FMA4.

Oh I hope so, I would happily wait years for Arma 3. There's still plenty of potential to be realised in Arma 2, particularly from mods and user made missions.

anything happened since last night?

I just came back from an English and Maths exam, really don't have the time to be following this anymore :(

Only that the site called Arma 3 (which had stated no relation to BIS or IDEA Games and had some real life military pics) has gone offline and the ownership appears to have swtiched to BIS.

Bearing in mind recent TakeOnHelicopters invite to "test players", and also hands-on preview of Carrier Command, this "hacks" could mean something major,

BIS is no more "underdog niche" developer.

Just a wish/speculation.

To all that worked their asses off to break those hacks, thank you.

The best gaming community in the world. :627:

Edited by Kernriver