Sign in to follow this  
ArmAriffic

ArmA 2 site hacked

I am now convinced this is building up to an announcement for ArmA 3! (Perhaps with an expansion to fill the wait) If tomorrow's annoucnement also includes Outerra in the feature's list my VINDICATION will be complete! Haha!

Havnt read anything but i hope it has something to do with:

Arma3

Outerra

Physic Engine

Total destroyable buildings and enviroment like in good ol Red Faction, or Soldner.

:D

;1926975']Maybe i've missed it but is there any given time when the announcement is going to be made?

Tomorrow at 3:30PM CEST.

So in 22 hours and 37 minutes. (as of this post)

There, ArmA 3 myth killed,.

Is that you Sion Lenton ?? :p

Arma3

Outerra

Shocking. The outerra posts are still rolling in.

I guess it hasn't clicked into everyone's head's yet that the shear amount of work required to port everything ArmA2 has into Outerra (or vice-versa) would take years [to reach a playable state like current ArmA2].

I'm not interested in the hysterical levels of presuppositions and wishful thinkings, but quite clearly the Outerra references are nothing but internally generated fantasies :)

My guess would be a new ArmA derivative with a revamped engine. Same engine, but revamped, in the same way that Armed Assault was the OFP engine revamped.

Shocking. The outerra posts are still rolling in.

I guess it hasn't clicked into everyone's head's yet that the shear amount of work required to port everything ArmA2 has into Outerra (or vice-versa) would take years [to reach a playable state like current ArmA2].

Up until a short while ago posts about Arma 3 were widely met with that same response. It would not be wrong to say the the current engine is probably pushing the very limits of its abilities, it wouldn't be surprising that BIS went for an overhall. Meanwhile Outerra is planned to include the sort of capabilities that Arma would need.

It is a mil sim, not just and infantry sim, so the massive potential of the Outerra engine would make it a more complete simulation. Which would increas it's saleability massively in the real money winning market...the Military.

Yes it's speculation but that's all that's left to do right now.

Edited by .Taffy

One day they are going to have to kill that engine and move on. Because your statement concludes that arma 2 still has the same engine as OFP but revamped. Pointless to keep moving down the same road. Eventually there is nothing new you can do with it.

One day they are going to have to kill that engine and move on. Because your statement concludes that arma 2 still has the same engine as OFP but revamped. Pointless to keep moving down the same road. Eventually there is nothing new you can do with it.

I find it odd thay you never hear such complaints in the CoD community, while that was based on the quake3 engine which is older than god. Everything can be improved, i see no reason to throw all the old stuff away.

Up until a short while ago posts about Arma 3 were widely met with that same response. It would not be wrong to say the the current engine is probably pushing the very limits of its abilities, it wouldn't be surprising that BIS went for an overhall. Meanwhile Outerra is planned to include the sort of capabilities that Arma would need.

It is a mil sim, not just and infantry sim, so the massive potential of the Outerra engine would make it a more complete simulation. Which would increas it's saleability massively in the real money winning market...the Military.

I believe that the day BIS decides to license an outside engine, is the day they are signing an agreement with id Tech for their 5 year old outdated engine to make another COD clone :icon_rolleyes:

I just don't see them licensing somebody else's engine. That isn't who Bohemia Interactive is. I mean.. last I heard they had some 130+ employees. What else are they supposed to be doing if they license somebody elses engine? :p

but quite clearly the Outerra references are nothing but internally generated fantasies :)

don't say that its been conjured... look harder...

But there is no doubt that outerra is beyond bis' capability... for now...

Arma3

Outerra

Physic Engine

Total destroyable buildings and enviroment like in good ol Red Faction, or Soldner.

That is because there's actually referances in the clues BIS left pointing to Outerra! Great job, you are one of the few who actually spotted them!

I take your response is based on your first hand, long term experience as a developer with a handful of different game engines, including BIS, yeah? May i see your resume please, i am planning on making a game myself these days

It is a mil sim, bot just and infantry sim, so the massive potential of the Outerra engine would make it a more complete simulation. Which would increas it's saleability massively in the real money winning market...the Military.

Speculation is based on some sort of evidence (even if incomplete). What you are doing is called dreaming.

oh hold on! i thought the wannabes game developers basket was full...my bad...make room for another one please...

don't say that its been conjured... look harder...

But there is no doubt that outerra is beyond bis' capability... for now...

Are you talking about that Outerra engine which is still to be finished, with no real date even for a RC version, that i am aware about? Or is it different one, which have been tested by the industry already? I wonder...

FPDR

Edited by PuFu
incomplete sarcasm

I find it odd thay you never hear such complaints in the CoD community, while that was based on the quake3 engine which is older than god.

And I find it odd that you havent noticed that the last 3 COD games didnt bring anything new. I love the arma engine, Im just saying that eventually there is a brick wall that will not allow you to do what you want with it. So next time you think im complaining, use your reading eyes and take it as an observation that I was making.

Got troll?

oh hold on! i thought the wannabes game developers basket was full...my bad...make room for another one please...

FPDR

Thanks bud, keep you a spot at the table for you with your arrogant buddy up there. If I cant express my opinion without being attacked and have to read your garbage, then there is a serious problem here.

Edited by pbishop

That is because there's actually referances in the clues BIS left pointing to Outerra! Great job, you are one of the few who actually spotted them!

You trollin or am I just oblivious? :icon_rolleyes:

The problem with people talking about other engines is that they do this:

ArmA2 capabilities + Engine x capabilities = Awesome game

While in reality you would lose the old engine so it would be more like this:

ArmA2 capabities + Engine x capabilities - ArmA2 capabilities = ???

And I find it odd that you havent noticed that the last 3 COD games didnt bring anything new. I love the arma engine, Im just saying that eventually there is a brick wall that will not allow you to do what you want with it. So next time you think im complaining, use your reading eyes and take it as an observation that I was making.

Got troll?

Don't forget, Kotick didn't want to use any of his precious billions to develop any kind of new tech so Modern Warfare 3 will still be using the SAME engine as the past... 4? titles have now.

Kotick is #winning !:yay:

Edit:

Well.. ArmA2Official sure did get a bunch more subscribers just now :D

Edited by WackyIraqi

Thanks bud, keep you a spot at the table for you with your arrogant buddy up there. If I cant express my opinion without being attacked and have to read your garbage, then there is a serious problem here.

Because your opinion, as you stated it, is based on proper savy information, or first hand experience? Which of the two? Or was it based only on your "gamer gut feeling"?

Sorry "bud" but you seem to really know what you were saying there, being so confident about BIS hitting the wall with their ongoing development on the RV engine not that far in the future.

Please excuse my non-professional 2 cents on the matter in that case

Edited by PuFu

I take your response is based on your first hand, long term experience as a developer with a handful of different game engines, including BIS, yeah? May i see your resume please, i am planning on making a game myself these days

There are limitations on the way we can interact with water, the AI still struggles with pathfinding and with each release, although the maps get larger, they are balanced between greater size and detail aginst making the demand on player's systems too heavy.

All aspect's of this engine are clearly being improved but you don't have to be an expert to realise that newer technology means possibilites could be expanded further.

You don't need to provide concrete evidence for every single thing you say, especially on a forum. There would be very little conversation in the world if that were the case.

Speculation is based on some sort of evidence (even if incomplete). What you are doing is called dreaming.

My speculation is based on the first clue, the map which covers an area far greater than the current engine is capable of and the words "The World Will Change" which of course are open to interpretation.

I would also like to say that the way you have been talking to other forum user's throughout this thread has disgraceful and rude. There is no need for it, especially here.

Edited by .Taffy

All aspect's of this engine are clearly being improved but you don't habe to be an expert to realise that newer technology means possibilites could be expanded further.

And what exactly would you call what Suma, Gaia, Dwarden and all other BI programmers do on a daily basis? Are they just digging up old forks from the Poseiden svn?

"Oh hey Maruk, think I'll introduce this AoTC feature finally because folks want more features. I'll wait a couple months before I add that Render-to-Texture feature I worked on back in '99"

What exactly would you call Render-to-Texture? AoTC? More detailed flight models? These not "newer technology" and "expanding possibilities"?

My speculation is based on the first clue, the map which covers an area far greater than the current engine is capable of and the words "The World Will Change" which of course are open to interpretation.

I'm too busy to dig for the actual links, but look up this game called "Take On: Helicopters". Your explanation for larger worlds will be hidden within :icon_rolleyes:

Edited by WackyIraqi

What is being expressed in the term "Outerra" is peoples' wish for certain features to be implemented into the ArmAverse. What is the single thing that would change the world forever? An actual physics engine with limited ragdolls for infantry & (some) vehicles.

I came to the conclusion that Take On Helicopters is being developed on RV3+, and that ArmA 3 will make use of it. ;)

I came to the conclusion that Take On Helicopters is being developed on RV2+, and that ArmA 3 will make use of it. ;)

Finally, I thought all hope was lost in this thread:p