Sign in to follow this  
wolffy.au

Multi-Session Operations v3.4 is released!

Thanks for the feedback guys. You can blame my new PC to lack of activity, as I've spent 3 days trying to get the best quality/frame performance in ARMA2.

For everyone who has posted issues above, please confirm you are using the build from the MSO File Tupolov has posted above (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/mso/files).

By default, I have turned down the intensity of everything. If ambience is still an issue, there is a setting for that, which I can turn down also.

I'll comment the daily build on 6/21/2011 at 3:45 -5GMT runs at a near consistent 50FPS on my 2500K @ 5.0 GHZ server at default settings on map Lingor.

I'll also comment that attempting to use custom factions as added by a mod does not work no matter what you try. After looking and looking for a very long time and changing a TON of variables it still fails to work.

I've used in the init.sqf (after modules load) and in init-custom.sqf

MSO_FACTIONS = ["LIN_army", "ibr_arl_faction", "ibr_drg_faction", "ibr_unisol_faction"];

I've also edited the enemy\init.sqf, description.ext, etc etc and while I can comment that changing all factions in the random enemy FOB spawn does work as camps spawn but no enemies ever spawn in exception to a few terrorist cells after extensive testing. I've tried only adding one faction with a known good faction name "LIN_army" just in case one of my faction modifiers were incorrect but still no spawn.

Using notepad++ and replacing all default factions using match case to lingor factions as a last resort option yeilded the same conclusion, nothing happens. I've tried adding one to every single unit with 0% probability of spawning on top of everything above and still no dice.

It's a low to normal priority fix since a few others have suggested this feature; fighting the Lingor Druglords, Unisol company with the Lingor Army and players as Police sounds to be a blast only if it worked. I'd also replace terrorist cells with cyborg cells with caches of tech for canon and fun; Lingor's cyborgs are pretty cool.

EDIT:

I found F2 Common Local Variables HERE in which I may be in luck for a custom faction workaround. I don't know too much about scripting but I am learning.

Proposed hack/fix for lingor (for proof of concept):

Place units in editor to init (unit(s) of "LIN_army", unit(s) of "ibr_drg_faction", etc )

Place in init-custom.sqf

waitUntil {scriptDone f_script_setLocalVars};

MSO_FACTIONS = ["f_var_units_OPF", "f_var_units_RES"];

or modify description.mso and init files to reference custom faction arrays if documentation is outdated.

I'm not sure how factions are read and I'm sure BIS's are "hardcoded" but I believe the problem is MSO isn't populating the "array/list" of units from custom type "faction" in which rmm_enemypop (or zora, whatever populates enemies) doesn't spawn units since "faction" has no "units" to populate the map with.

A better solution would be to create an array of units manually in a file (available units of given faction) and call MSO_FACTIONS = ["custom_unit_array"]; or change description.ext and related files which reference vanilla faction to "custom_unit_array".

Of course all this is best guess and I'm going to have to experiment but I'm writing to inform others of a possible fix for I44, Lingor, etc custom factions who may have more knowledge than me.

Need dev response if possible (recap):

1: is the method of calling factions in init.sqf as outlined in the outdated mission editor's guide still valid?

MSO_FACTIONS = ["faction"];

2: if the method is still valid does rmm_enemypop still create camps if using all custom faction names ("ibr_drg_faction" ≠ "RU")?

3: unrelated, how does the ZKS_Build module work? What code do I paste in what init? A MTVR, game logic or? I've tried pasting cargomenu.sqf into a mtvr but the laptop spawns inside the MTVR.

Ideas:

Factories for everything to reduce client polycount/load and to declutter base (Vehicle, CSW, etc). FOB factory to spawn prepopulated cargo container(s) with timer to match (large FOB should take longer than small FOB to "manufacture") SCRIPT

Currency system in which players earn money to buy assets (instead of resupply=time, resupply=actions of team) to reward teamwork, completing objectives, etc while discouraging bad gameplay (killing civs, wasting resources, etc)

1. By timer (paycheck)

2. By "gifts" from cities for being happy with you (MSO 3.6 instead of giving a asset you may not need at marker, you choose what asset would be of most use)

3. By enemies killed in relation to enemy rank

4. Ability to "bribe" towns to liking you or provide money for town to arm themselves (eventhandler town moneyreserves, spawn random ammobox from array in town if moneyreserves priceofammo < moneyreserves, deduct moneyreserves, script for serverside units to arm themselves?) or just put bias in spawning civvies with more guns if money variable is met.

5. Penalize for killing civvies

Add a NPC who could give out bounty missions, for ace could spawn group (and marker) and require player to bring back dogtags or special item for non ace of mark. Could reward player with money depending on how difficult mission is. Good for new players to MSO for something to do and others for fun.

"Side Missions/SOCOM" can have a random probability of spawning a named suitcase in which you can take back to factory to unlock items. (player gets socom task, clears objective, finds suitcase/object (blueprints, tank parts, whatever), returns suitcase/object to factory, selects action to "upgrade factory", factory looks 50m around itself for named object in array, factory sets variable of asset to unlocked, factory deletes suitcase, player can buy unlocked asset).

Player can buy/spawn units in field from deployed FOB (higher cost and/or lower skill) to simulate hiring local independents/civilians. Fixes having to run back to base all the time but penalizes player by skill and/or cost to make base spawned AI still important.

C130/airdropped supplies (ammo, FOB container, etc) would be bought instead of (airdrop = time) so good teams are rewarded and rapid expansion can occur while penalizing bad teams.

Start out with only one factory or otherwise where you would build up your ability to manufacture assets and decrease the amount of time assets take to manufacture much like warfare.

Overall I believe some sort of currency system would serve as the missing overall objective to MSO since players can relate to currency more readily as an objective. It would decrease the learning curve for new players and set a real reward/penalization structure for those who do not receive pleasure from the existing MSO type of gameplay making it more accessible and popular while forcing players to take responsibility for their actions.

I'm not suggesting ideas that I expect the dev team to work on but more as to share my ideas so I and others can work to implement if it is feasible in effort to help with MSO development and custom versions and to help others fix problems with their custom build.

I'm personally working on my variant of MSO and working towards adding some of these features as my developing skill set allows. Anyone interested can PM me and we can work together.

Edited by zorrobyte

I'd actually like to see more interactions with the local populace. T cells and ambient traffic, and police/medical is great.

But if we can get random intel by visiting cities or doing humanitarian supplies such as dropping off Medical boxes or Water barrels and getting respect/rep back that would be awesome. But I guess that's a whole new ball game. Ability to hire a translator from the local population would be awesome as well.

Hey m8s!

Havent been here since i was on holidays. I wanted to share this with you, hope you like it!

-------------->

Mission: Terror in Fallujah v3.34

Versions: MSO 3.42 with TCells and VTS 3.5

Developer(s): MSO team, VTS Team, ported by highhead

Required Add-Ons: ARMA 2 CO, CBA, Fallujah

Description:

This mission is an attempt to simulate warfare in a big Iraqi city against a growing number of terrorists who are supported by local guerillas. Both are fighting against a small number of US and british troops!

You are supported by additional features to ensure having fun fun also while playing with a small amount of players or even when playing alone with AI.

- HALO Jump

"sign-in"-able for group jumps (players and AI), also working fine with enemypop and cep/nou-cachings to save performance.

- PXS Sat-View

Limited to a 2km radius to have no break in immersion thru seeing cached units.

- Norrins taxi / extraction chopper

furthermore:

- SR5 IEDs and suicide bombers enabled

- random IEDs also set (no disabling)

- VTS can be activated at HQ (no loading in beginning to save memory)

Download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0XQSGH3H

Have fun with it and go out for a hunt, and pls. provide feedback if possible!

Dave

Edited by highhead

Zorrobyte, some great ideas there. Please add feature requests/bugs etc to the Dev-Hev Tracker so they can be picked up by the Devs.

Although MSO can be played quite happily straight out of the box, it is essentially a moduler mission framework with no definite objective; that bit's up to the mission makers to put in. If you want to create a cash or points module to add to the collection that'd be grand. Note that the RMM_Construct module has a basic points system implemented for FOB building. You can enable this by adding the following to the init line of a suitable object:

0 = this execVM "support\modules\rmm_cnstrct\addAction.sqf"; this setvariable ["cnstrct_supplies",100000]; if (isnil "supply_crates") then {   supply_crates=[];}; supply_crates set [count supply_crates, this];"

It works in a similar way to the Warfare construction module. I've not played with ZKS_Build yet, but I assume it's something similar.

Zora = module that creates random enemy patrols in the vicinity of players

RMM_EnemyPop = runs once at mission start to populate the map with fixed enemy positions. I know Highhead was playing with this one a lot before, so he may be able to help some.

MSO_FACTIONS should just be defined in ..\enemy\init.sqf.

RMM_EnemyPop uses this info to spawn the base complexes and calls the script fn_randomGroup.sqf to generate the enemy patrols. I'm afraid this is where my very limited scripting ability ends, and you'll need to ask Wolffy about the rest.

Hey m8s!

Havent been here since i was on holidays. I wanted to share this with you, hope you like it!

-------------->

Mission: Terror in Fallujah v3.34

Versions: MSO 3.42 with TCells and VTS 3.5

Developer(s): MSO team, VTS Team, ported by highhead

Required Add-Ons: ARMA 2 CO, CBA, Fallujah

Description:

This mission is an attempt to simulate warfare in a big Iraqi city against a growing number of terrorists who are supported by local guerillas. Both are fighting against a small number of US and british troops!

You are supported by additional features to ensure having fun fun also while playing with a small amount of players or even when playing alone with AI.

- HALO Jump

"sign-in"-able for group jumps (players and AI), also working fine with enemypop and cep/nou-cachings to save performance.

- PXS Sat-View

Limited to a 2km radius to have no break in immersion thru seeing cached units.

- Norrins taxi / extraction chopper

furthermore:

- SR5 IEDs and suicide bombers enabled

- random IEDs also set (no disabling)

- VTS can be activated at HQ (no loading in beginning to save memory)

Download it here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0XQSGH3H

Have fun with it and go out for a hunt, and pls. provide feedback if possible!

Dave

There goes my weekend!

Stk2008: Most vanilla missions will still work with ACE. Only the medic module really needs changing. You can do this easily by just depboing the mission, add the ACE medic modules, repbo, you have an ACE version. That's all their is to it tbh.

Do you still plan to fix the caching system, regarding air units? I mean the caching system shouldn't work for air units.

Hey guys!

Just tested it with latest ACE ver from dev heaven, and it works fine. Yu gotta make your own ACE version like Friz described - i didnt try it out myself yet but i suppose it will work fine if yu use ACE revive instead of Norrins (just disable norrins revive startup in my init.sqf by commenting it out with //) and use ACE logistics instead of the MSO-vanilla Logistics by placing an ACE-module in editor and disabling the vanilla one also by commenting out the lines in "support\modules\modules.hpp".

If yu wanna have a decent framerate on a med-spec PC, start up a dedicated server with the same modline as yu play in singleplayer. Then startup ya Arma 2 CO, connect to ya server and while mission-setup use a enemy 85% percent setting in enemy intensity and disable Airtraffic completely. My "server" keeps it on 20 fps at least and thats enough to have no rucklings and heavy warpings.

Have fun!

I was having a think the other day and happened across a passing thought over a module that could greatly expand the immersiveness of MSO. I let it sit in my head for a few days away from the computer and it all came together and festered until I had a nice dank fermented idea. While I've tried to implement similar ideas in the past and through my own lack of technical ability failed to get them to fruition, I believe this idea is too.. well, cool! to just let rot, and so here's the skinny:

Takiconomy, a pair of modules designed to simulate a basic town-to-town economy.

The skinny of it is setting up towns as different economic areas and then their occupants travelling between towns to signify trade. Higher levels of trade mean better economic success and so better town morale/less chance of becoming tribal terrorist holes, trade can be stimulated with economic projects like bringing generators in to towns or offering security along trade routes or hindered by buildings being destroyed and the enemy setting up roadside bombs and ambushes, making the blufor more accountable for their actions and offering more opportunities for diverse taskings and operations

Here's the whole deal:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/58578463/takiconomy

(there are some slight inconsistencies in the text where I refer to three modules, there was a path-finding module I'd considered that would promote civvies moving along main MSR's but it didn't sound like it'd be easy to make efficiently and isn't really that important for the major aim of the system)

I do hope this inspires someone to make some work towards this area of development, whether or not it's in this exact form is not important so much as the idea of the civvies having the same kinds of individual aims and objectives as the blufor and enemy already possess in the form of t-cells, etc. rather than simply being 'ambient'.

(Issue tracker ref. http://dev-heaven.net/issues/20666 )

Dave,

I thought of something similar a while back.

I was thinking along the lines of a command and conquer system, where by you have to "mine" areas for metals/minerals, have farms for food etc. This wood allow you to build more equipement. The enemy could also do this, so for example you may stumble accross an enemy weapons factory, that by destroying, would limit there available weapons.

Dave,

I thought of something similar a while back.

I was thinking along the lines of a command and conquer system, where by you have to "mine" areas for metals/minerals, have farms for food etc. This wood allow you to build more equipement. The enemy could also do this, so for example you may stumble accross an enemy weapons factory, that by destroying, would limit there available weapons.

This is not so much a matter of gaining resources for your own purposes: This is simulating the civilians having a purpose (ie. increasing their town's economy) other than sitting around and randomly ambling between towns.. it has no direct affect on the player's accessibility to resources and items, only on the morale of the people and meaning that everyone who's driving around is actually trying to get somewhere for some purpose -it encourages the player to keep major population movement routes secure and to not just totally steamroll towns while trying to take down the bad guys

I imagine the current scripting used for the convoy module could be used for the transit portion of the trade module (because that's effectively all it is, one or two vehicle convoys between towns at a certain/random interval) and the calculating of a town's 'economic score' or how that affects morale is a fairly simple set of algorithms, to the point that I've already drafted them out in the pdf

The main area I'd be not so sure on how to do efficiently is the population centres module, all my past attempts to try and recognise where different objects are in relation to each other have been totally gash

The ideas are fantastic... but...

I dont believe that the arma 2 engine is powerful or specialized enough to handle the complexity of your concept, tough its really kept simple! Take tcells as an example: what looks quite "simple" (travelling to towns, recruiting members, splitting up, etc) has an enourmous impact on server performance! i cant imagine that tcells and takiconomy would ever go togehter. Sure, i also would love to see something like this but im a bit sceptic about the possiilities of the engine. Maybe some experts can say more about it!

Have fun!

Hey all any more info on this?.

Thanks

Which bit specifically? If you mean MSO updates, it's still being worked on albeit rather slowly at the moment due to real life keeping Wolffy rather busy. Nothing significantly new has been added yet, it's mainly bug fixed and optimisations. You can follow progress on dev-hev.

I can't find a MASH tent anywhere. Please help.

There should be a big hospital tent unless the mission editor has removed it. Can't really help you unless you say which mission you're playing

BAF USA Vs bad guys ACE 2 version

Not edited ... It's the original.

EDIT :

How do you load stuff onto vehicles.

Ace way don't work

Edited by Shinji

There should be a MASH tent in amongst all the FOB junk. To load stuff in a vehicle you need to park it nearby. I've not used the ACE logistics system much myself, I tend to stick to R3F and/or the construction module.

There Is barriers a field hospital and 2 containers

Some fortifications noooooo mash

I don't know

How to load stuff in vehicules, they are parked near the stuff.

There Is barriers a field hospital and 2 containers

Some fortifications noooooo mash

I don't know

How to load stuff in vehicules, they are parked near the stuff.

Look outside the barriers, there's a whole heap of junk out there for transporting around and building FOBs.

For ACE related questions please refer to the ACE2 Wiki.