Sign in to follow this  
GregRUS

How to make scripts "hardreadable" like in valhalla or RP-Mods?

Hello!

Is there any public tool that can change all variable names to a random set of characters and keep all dependencies inside the mission?

Saw that in valhalla pbo and rp-mods mission.

Tried to binarize with makepbo (Eliteness).. its easy to depbo and you can see all the scripts easily even with notepad :)

Is there any public tool that can change all variable names to a random set of characters

Ctrl+F -> Replace all. :p

Why would you do this anyway? Are we not allowed to learn from your stuff? Didnt you learn it from the community you are now trying to block out? ;)

The question is not about a lesson...

I will try to help everyone who ask!

But some shi**y ppl alway try to steal part of my scripts... just want to protect it from them!

Also they never asked me... acting like a rats :)

Thats why I want to make my finished mission hard readable from them!

The question is not about a lesson...

I will try to help everyone who ask!

But some shi**y ppl alway try to steal part of my scripts... just want to protect it from them!

Also they never asked me... acting like a rats :)

Thats why I want to make my finished mission hard readable from them!

As a newcommer to Arma2 scripting, I will hold my hands up and say that I absolutely rely on being able to read other people's scripts within their missions. I would hazzard a guess that most people here have learnt this way. As probably did you.

The BI community only survives because of this openness.

If you were selling your stuff commercially then I could understand this attitude, but you are not.

Nearly every mission I have downloaded credits the author of major scripting work that contributed towards it and I have found that the community is in general open and generous.

Maybe I missed your point, but your attitude does seem a little 'mean'.

A more appropriate way of getting credit would probably be to contact the mission makers who use your script and remind them that you would like a credit. I understand the hard work that goes into writing scripts, and as this is a non-commercial endeavor, the only thing we can get in the way of reward for these efforts is the credit. We are all human beings and we do need this recognition of our efforts!

So come on, show your scripts, be proud of what you do and basque in the glory that your efforts helped others to make great content for this game to keep the community alive!

A "this script was written by xxx based on yyy's work. If you decide to use this, please give credit where credit's due" does away with most such problems.

There is no way to encrypt it, the only thing you can do is make them hard readable for the human eye. As an example:

Easy to read:

if (isnil "GLT_GEAR") then {
GLT_GEAR = {
	private ["_anims", "_i"];
	_i = abs ((_this animationPhase "Fold_Gear_F") - 1);
	_anims = ["Fold_Gear_F", "Fold_Gear_R", "Fold_Gear_L", "Gear_Door_F", "Gear_Door_R", "Gear_Door_L"];
	if (_i == 0) then {_plane setVariable ["GLT_GEARDOWN",true];} else {_plane setVariable ["GLT_GEARDOWN",false];};
	_this say "glt_canopy";
	{_this animate [_x, _i]} foreach _anims;
	_this animate ["glt_idx_arnws", abs ((_this animationPhase "glt_idx_arnws") - 1)];
};
};

Hard to read:

if(isnil "GLT_GEAR")then{GLT_GEAR={private["_anims", "_i"];_i=abs((_this animationPhase "Fold_Gear_F")-1);_anims=["Fold_Gear_F","Fold_Gear_R","Fold_Gear_L","Gear_Door_F","Gear_Door_R","Gear_Door_L"];if(_i==0)then{_plane setVariable["GLT_GEARDOWN",true];}else{_plane setVariable["GLT_GEARDOWN",false];};_this say "glt_canopy";{_this animate [_x, _i]}foreach _anims;_this animate["glt_idx_arnws", abs ((_this animationPhase "glt_idx_arnws")-1)];};};

Both are the same code, just removed any carriage return and unnecessary white spaces.

As a newcommer to Arma2 scripting, I will hold my hands up and say that I absolutely rely on being able to read other people's scripts within their missions. I would hazzard a guess that most people here have learnt this way. As probably did you.

The BI community only survives because of this openness.

If you were selling your stuff commercially then I could understand this attitude, but you are not.

Nearly every mission I have downloaded credits the author of major scripting work that contributed towards it and I have found that the community is in general open and generous.

Maybe I missed your point, but your attitude does seem a little 'mean'.

A more appropriate way of getting credit would probably be to contact the mission makers who use your script and remind them that you would like a credit. I understand the hard work that goes into writing scripts, and as this is a non-commercial endeavor, the only thing we can get in the way of reward for these efforts is the credit. We are all human beings and we do need this recognition of our efforts!

So come on, show your scripts, be proud of what you do and basque in the glory that your efforts helped others to make great content for this game to keep the community alive!

AllRight !

What the makers of Valhalla and RP-Mods do is not a good example at all. I'm a veteran script and mission maker and I consider my job well done when others use my scripts, be they ones I release individually or ones that form the script base in my missions. However, when I see a mission that heavily relies on content made by me but credits only the mission maker, I do consider it bad conduct. In one such situation I mentioned it to an Armaholic admin and the mission was no longer hosted there.

Hehe I remember when I wanted to add some functions to Sahrani life - I thought the PBO unpacking had problems, so I made a programm that sorts the the code to readable source^^... some time after I understood that it wasn't a problem of unpacking - but they wanted to make the source "hard readable"...

I for my part don't give a statement on this behaviour.

I even don't want that other companies copy the code I write for my company, but it would make me proud when code that I write in my freetime for a game gets copied from the community for other missions.