Sign in to follow this  
igordoner

Everything in Czech

Hi,

I've owned OF and OF:R pretty much since they've been released. I decided to come back to playing it recently and when I installed the game I got (almost) everything in Czech! (I own Polish versions of these games).

I have never ever come across this problem until now. (I must have installed OF at least 20 times until now).

A friend of mine, who also got Polish versions of OF/OF:R is seeing EXACTLY the same behaviour despite the fact our machines are totally different spec (e.g. me: XP, Pentium4, him: Win7, i7).

I've tried swapping the language files (stringtable.csv, I got them from someone in the forums English ones ages ago) and they help to an extent (in-mission messages etc) but the main menu and the preferences mini-application stay in Czech. The only languages available in drop-down menu in the preferences are Czech and sometimes Polish, but when I select Polish nothing changes.

Sometimes the main menu goes back to English probably thanks to the swapped stringtable.csv files but it won't always stay like that.

This is becoming quite frustrating as despite numerous attempts with manually changing the config files I have failed to resolve the issue.

Many thanks in advance for any support.

@igordoner

Go to your OFP folder and run FlashpointPreferences.exe. Then at the top of the window is a drop down that says language, select Czech or what ever you want there.

Sorry perhaps I should have stated my problem more clearly.

My OF/OF:R is currently in Czech but I want everything in Polish (or English), especially with regards to the Preferences application. I own Polish version of the game and never had that problem until now.

As I said in my first post, I already tried this in preferences but with no success:

...The only languages available in drop-down menu in the preferences are Czech and sometimes Polish, but when I select Polish nothing changes.

In other words whatever I do, everything in the preferences application (the buttons/options/fields) is in Czech.

Sorry perhaps I should have stated my problem more clearly.

Well, what game are you actually running, Operation Flashpoint or OFP: Resistance?

What version of the game are you running, 1.96?

Did you install any addons or mods before this happened or was it like this straight after installing the game?

Did you try to re-install the game when this happened?

Try to complealty uninstall and then re-install the game, maybe some file got deleted or replaced by accident or by some addon.

As far as I know you won't be able to convert the game to English or Polish just by replacing stringtables, this only works to a certain extent but the languages are also encoded in to the .exe of the game, you can see this when other players connect to a server in MP. Otherwise there would be no need for BIS to release a seperate 1.91 patch for the Polish version.

If you can't fix this, you could alway's learn Czech, if you know Polish then you know most of it already :tongue:

Well, what game are you actually running, Operation Flashpoint or OFP: Resistance?

Both. Both suffer from the same problem. Both were bought as Polish versions.

What version of the game are you running, 1.96?

Did you install any addons or mods before this happened or was it like this straight after installing the game?

Straight after installing the game.

Did you try to re-install the game when this happened?

That was the first thing I tried. It didn't help. Got exactly the same behaviour.

Try to complealty uninstall and then re-install the game, maybe some file got deleted or replaced by accident or by some addon.

Tried that too. It was a clean install (and then re-install) with no addons on my hard-drive (I haven't played OF in a couple of years)

As far as I know you won't be able to convert the game to English or Polish just by replacing stringtables, this only works to a certain extent but the languages are also encoded in to the .exe of the game

I actually sort-of-successfully managed to do it (convert Polish to English) just by replacing stringtables. I do take your point though - the conversion wasn't 100% complete. HOWEVER: we can disregard this aspect in this thread as my Operation Flashpoint spontaneously became Czech before I messed with any stringtables. (Same for the friend of mine I mentioned earlier).

If you can't fix this, you could alway's learn Czech, if you know Polish then you know most of it already.

:P

I can understand probably 10% of Czech if it's spoken not written. I understand sh*t if I just read text. The only workaround I found so far was to read the Czech messages on the screen out loud to myself. Then I thought I'm sad and decided to ask for help hence this post :P

The only thing as far as I can tell that has changed since the last time I played OF (and everything was fine language-wise then) is ...the time. I have tried this as well (changing the system date; no, I haven't got the time machine) and it didn't help.

(What I have not tried is changing the date and THEN reinstalling the game but that seems like a step too far / may not be worth the while anyway)

Anyone?

Simple diagnostics:

1. Open 'res\bin\stringtable.csv' and see which languages are available
  2. Open 'flashpoint.cfg' and check which language is selected

Don't touch the 'FlashpointPreferences.exe' because it has fixed language selection and does not resemble actual stringtable.

*As an alternative you may install Operation Finnishpoint which will replace stringtables with international ones.

Edited by Faguss

Tried that too - before posting here. Polish is the language in the .cfg file. I tried manually changing it as well if I recall with no success. Polish version of the game has got Polish and Czech in the stringtable files. Yet for some reason Czech was often selected in-game. A workaround I found was to delete in the stringtables all the languages but the one I actually wanted. This helps with the in-game menus (ok, consider that problem sorted although it annoys me I have to fix it manually modifying stringtables) BUT it DOES NOT HELP with the preferences application.

The preferences application does not seem to use stringtables to display it's own text in the fields/buttons.

The preferences application does not see all the languages that are defined stringtables in the drop-down list for selecting the languages.

Bottom-line: My preferences application is in Czech, I cannot seem to be able to do anything about it. The easiest workaround is probably to translate (on a piece of paper....) all the text in the preferences application from Czech to whatever, but I just don't see how the problem appeared in the first place as I never had it before.