Sign in to follow this  
Pauldarrington

Steam Midweek madness-- Dont miss!!! (80% off ARMA 2, 40% off A2:OA and DLCs)

i thought getting this a steam is a no no as you cant install and use beta patches and some mods are a bit fiddly to setup?

Of course not. That's just what the Steam haters want you to believe. ArmA 2 works perfectly fine on Steam.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 AM ----------

I'm mostly referring to mods and other things related, I know its easy to install, I had RO on steam.

ArmA 2 mods don't work any differently on Steam, you just have alternative ways of launching them.

Nope.

Not true. Because of the Steam patch disaster last time I downloaded ARMA II and OA images, installed CO from them and than I installed the DLCs from Steam and it worked.

But I dont know if you can buy the DLCs without having the games on Steam.

you can't buy STEAM DLC for OA w/o owning OA itself on the STEAM, that's how theirs system works

cool so this bargain is only for STEAM OA users

Well I ended up purchasing Combined Operations and both DLC on steam, around $39 US... so about $36 AUD which is cheaper than the $48 Reinforements goes for at EB Australia.

I'll prob now sell both ARMA2 DVD and OA DVD, also have Operation Flashpoint special edition DVD which I might sell too.

Sprocket has sales as well, if you don't want to deal with Steam ... you can also buy the CO DVDs at discount prices on Amazon.com.

I have actually just bought everything in the Steam sale, even though i already have A2 + OA on retail discs, and i had purchased BAF from Sprocket upon release.

Not fully sure why i did that to be honest lmfao, but i do like steam, and i like the ease of use it gives me, plus the last two times i have tried to play, i have had to update the bloody games with a patch before being allowed online, much rather let Steam manage that stuff for me in the background.

Might sell my retail copy's, although i have a mate i usually play coop with on the Xbox and he is looking at sorting a gaming PC soon, might just give him the retail discs as a freebie :)

cant you just copy the AddOns folder to the ssd and run most of the game content as you would a mod?

You can move steam games to different drives jonney. You can have arma on your SSD and the rest on a different hard drive.

There is even a program that set it up for you if you don't want to do it manually. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

EDIT: I see there is a thread on the subject here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=118068

Edited by Bullet Purveyor

i see. thing is, i will have to buy all of arma 2 and its expansion packs and DLC because the steam DLC wont work with sprocket/dvd version of arma 2.

how much does everything costs in steam? the DLC in GAME(retail shop) costs nearly £30!

IIRC about £25 all inclusive for me from steam, might get £15 back for my retail discs when i sell them ?

Thats what I did and my friend did... cost us $36 AUD for ARMA2, OA, both DLC on Steam.... we will sell our DVD copies of ARMA2 and OA to get some $ back.

Dont expect anything as simple as a player manual with the steam version .

They do give you a blank pdf thought :mad::confused:

huh? the manual is available for all ARMA titles as PDF, same as for retail version

not the steam version unless something is broken . nothing in the game folder apart the readme.

If i rightclick arma2 in my steam game librarry there is a link to the manual in pdf but nothing hapens . I have the latest adobe reader (x) .

must be a steam problem :mad:

Still does'nt help me though . Oh well i am sure i can find it somewere :confused:

Edited by evo6tme

not the steam version unless something is broken . nothing in the game folder apart the readme.

If i rightclick arma2 in my steam game librarry there is a link to the manual in pdf but nothing hapens . I have the latest adobe reader (x) .

must be a steam problem :mad:

Still does'nt help me though . Oh well i am sure i can find it somewere :confused:

Must be something wrong on your end since it works perfectly fine for me.

Must be something wrong on your end since it works perfectly fine for me.

it may be problem of distributions, let me check ...

remember

appID 33900 = North America version of game

appID 33910 = Rest of World version of game

btw. both works for me fine to reach manual

---------- Post added at 07:03 ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 ----------

to avoid more confusion i wrote this BIKI page

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ARMA2_PackageCombination

to describe various packaging distributions and content , theirs possible combinations and ofcourse Multi-Player compatibility ...