Sign in to follow this  
lugiahua

Why can't AI tank crews use HE against infantry?

well, I had this question since original OFP.

that AI tank crew never use HE/WP/Canister against enemy infantry formations, only machine guns. Unless it ran out SABOT/HEAT.

I was playing a tactical game "Men of War". I know it's not a FPS, but the AI tanks in that games always switch to HE when targeting infantry or un-armored vehicles. (and also use MGs to suppress enemy while reloading main gun)

I am wondering if it is possible to do the same in Arma2? like including in the future patch or in a mod.

well, I had this question since original OFP.

that AI tank crew never use HE/WP/Canister against enemy infantry formations, only machine guns. Unless it ran out SABOT/HEAT.

I was playing a tactical game "Men of War". I know it's not a FPS, but the AI tanks in that games always switch to HE when targeting infantry or un-armored vehicles. (and also use MGs to suppress enemy while reloading main gun)

I am wondering if it is possible to do the same in Arma2? like including in the future patch or in a mod.

Yep, there is a lot of things that ARMA2 could learn from MOW. It is an excellent game with a lot of innovative stuff. Even the AI is very interesting at times.

I was playing a tactical game "Men of War". I know it's not a FPS, but the AI tanks in that games always switch to HE when targeting infantry or un-armored vehicles.

They also tend to prefer infantry over more threatening tanks, often to my frustration. :rolleyes:

But ArmA2's AI still can't make decisions about changing ammo types. They can make decisions about changing weapons though, so it's probably something that could be extended to ammo too.

On another note, AI infantry rarely ever seem to fire HE grenades from their grenade launchers.

The AI knows how to switch weapons, but they are terrible at it. The behavior of AT infantry should demonstrate that getting tanks to switch ammo types effectively is tricky.

You only want them switching directly after firing, so that they don't waste time switching unloading and reloading constantly. You would need to code a bit logic that only lets them unload sabot and load HE if there are no tanks nearby. This behavior would piss off a human commander if a bunch of tanks were inbound but still out of sight, however. I would even suggest a cheat for the AI, so that they would not unload sabot so long as any enemy tank is within 1000m, whether they see it or not.

On another note, AI infantry rarely ever seem to fire HE grenades from their grenade launchers.

Dunno. When I was putting a russkie preset squad into a mission I always had to remove GL guys because I just got insta-spammed by grenades the moment we made contact.

Men Of War is another hidden gem in game industry that does not recieve much coverage. If Arma could get that easy way to put AI in cover and dynamic building destruction as in MOW then Arma would be the ultimate game of all times (:

• Like 1

Dunno. When I was putting a russkie preset squad into a mission I always had to remove GL guys because I just got insta-spammed by grenades the moment we made contact.
Yeah I've been "noobtubed" before.

it might be because they are trying to follow the genewa conventions?

you know, like not using .50 and up against humans :P

40mm grenades are less than .50 calibre. :D

40mm grenades are less than .50 calibre. :D

I assume .50 cal is in inches, not decimeters. :p

Some musket balls were 1.0 caliber. I'm pretty sure the Geneva Conventions didn't retroactively outlaw the American Revolution.

in Men of War, if a tank in on "hold fire" mode, it would not switch shells by itself

nor if the vehicle in under direct command from a player.

I would say it would work perfect if only tank crew under AI unit commander would switch shells by themselves but not those under players command.

I don't know much about coding, but wonder if it is possible that tank change to HE rounds

if:

AFV in sights = 0

infantry in sights > x number (maybe 10 ..)

and switch to SABOT/HEAT

if:

AFV > 1

Men Of War is another hidden gem in game industry that does not recieve much coverage. If Arma could get that easy way to put AI in cover and dynamic building destruction as in MOW then Arma would be the ultimate game of all times (:

It would be enough, if AI in ARMA was able to look before going behind a corner and shoot while moving.

AI look around corners all the time. Thing is, when they want to move past the corner, they usually take it at a run. But if they're defending, they will use buildings quite well.

they do shoot while running...with terrible accuracy anyway...and always get gunned down lol

I guess you mean aimed shooting while moving.

AI look around corners all the time. Thing is, when they want to move past the corner, they usually take it at a run.

That's what I meant. Thanks.

they do shoot while running...with terrible accuracy anyway...and always get gunned down lol

I guess you mean aimed shooting while moving.

Yes, that was it. Something more effective. A lot of deaths is caused by AI's unnecessary slow reactions combined with a need to stop and go down.

It isnt a violation of the Geneva Conventions to use .50 Caliber munitions against people.

That's a myth.

In Iraq and Afganyland, insurgents get shot daily with Barretts. No investigations are launched. No one one goes to jail. Everyones happy. Even the insurgents.... they didnt feel a thing.

Perhaps what he meant was the explosive Raufoss MP 12.7mm round that has been causing some controversy.

Edited by sparks50