Sign in to follow this  
AnimalMother92

ACE 1.10 (Advanced Combat Enviroment) for OA/CO

Quick question,

whenever I try to use compress on a wounded soldier, it is never highlighted for any wound. What are the compresses used for?

I read the Wounding System documentation but couldn't find anything about the compress being used.

Cheers

Edited by azz_er

I have a Vanilla install of AO. Just downloaded the latest 6 updater and for some reason I get errors when ACE starts the game. In the main menu I see "Cannot open object ca\weapons\m240.p3d" On top of that, the ACE scenarios are listed twice. How can things be so screwed up on a fresh install with nothing enabled except ACE via the 6 updater?

Ok, thanks to y'all I can add, remove, pack, and unpack the ACE ruck sacks. My problem now is that there is no longer any Action option to cause my AI guys to drop their ruck sacks. Now, apparently, I have to use the Gear option under selection 6. When I do this, my guys take off running. If there is an ammo crate, they will run a mile under fire to get to the ammo crate, when all I want is for them to drop their ruck and rearm from it. With no ammo crates around they will run a ways, apparently trying to get out of the line of fire, then the gear menu comes up and I can make them drop their packs. Which brings up my next problem. If either I or my AI guys drops a pack near a structure (building, crate, whatever) the ruck will disappear from view (this can also happen on open ground), and I cannot interact with it in any way. The only way to retrieve it is to get one of my AI guys to pick it up. But then, I can't use any of my AI's packs, because they will all run to the same cover and drop their ruck into the twighlight zone.

In one mission I was under fire in a building and wanted to grab some 40mm from my pack. When I dropped my ruck, it of course, disappeared. The only way to get it back was to get my AI guy to come retrieve the pack for me, which apparently had passed through a worm-hole and emerged in the same building, but one floor above me, and invisible to sight. After much mucking around I got my pack back, and lo and behold, it was empty.

Also, if I am wearing a pack and use the ACE interaction key/gear to interact with my AI guy, I cannot get him to drop his ruck without first dropping mine.

Wan't it simpler to just select a player, hit 6, and select "drop backpack"?

So that mission was a wonderful waste of 2 hours of my life.

Help?

nodlew: Don't use the 6 command menu to open up AI gear. Open up your own gear. To the left and right of your name (top right) there are arrows to cycle through the gear of your units.

Regarding the other stuff, post a bug report as stated above by Sickboy with more detail because it's hard to tell what you were trying to do.

Dropping rucks near buildings is not supported.

The only reason to drop a ruck is if you want to lose the weight for an extended period of time and come back for it later. You shouldn't be doing it on a routine basis (almost never). The contents of a dropped ruck will be lost if the unit picking up the ruck already has a ruck or has items in their ruck arrays. The only way to swap rucks between units is if you both use the Drop Ruck button (so you both end up with empty arrays) then pick up each other's rucks.

You can now use rucksack sharing (Rucksack on the interaction menu) if you are trying to easily get into the ruck of another unit.

Edited by tcp

Thanks all for your quick replies. I'll try the arrows. Doh!

Hey, TCP--that works like a charm. Thank you very much.

Still learning, I guess. I thought the only way I could get stuff from my ruck, or another person's ruck was to drop it and approach it like a crate. I assumed it was a realism feature. If I don't have to drop them, I'd rather not. I'll experiment further. Thanks again.

Although, there is another reason to drop a Ruck--you can rest your weapon on it like a sandbag for greater accuracy, which is a pretty handy thing.

Ok. Now I get it. Very easy to manage all the ammo and weapons of my own and my AI units. Simple as pie.

Edited by nodlew

Oh yea, I forgot about that, weapon resting is a nice bonus feature. Luckily, near buildings you shouldn't need it.

I did change the positioning code a bit for when you drop a ruck. I would still make sure the space in front of you is clear (with a small buffer to the left and right of that space as well) and that its height is level with where you are standing. It will probably still have problems though.

I will consider adding a special button that let's your grab (and move) a ruck that you just dropped in case it goes into the floor or something.

Dropping rucks as a weapon rest works really well. You can lie down, open the gear menu, drop ruck, and the ruck is perfectly positioned as a rest, just hit shift+space. Then use take ruck, and you're on your way.

I have a new issue. I am using the RH Mgswp 1.0 OA-CO weapons addon and for me it has been a life-saver. It has some very nice weapons in it, but the big thing is that for some reason the scopes of the weapons don't lag on my computer like the Stock/Ace? versions do. So now I can use the ScarH with an Acog or a Spectre without the scope lag ruining my game.

There is only one problem, the grenade launchers (at least the ones on the scars, can't speak definitively about all of the others) do not work with the ACE Sight Adjustment System. So, although they have nice GL red dot sights, I have to aim at the moon to make my grenades go to range, this is not realistic, and a pain.

Does anyone know how to make a config patch to make weapons compatible with certain ACE features? I tried to make one, but I don't know what I'm doing at this point.

Any info at all would be appreciated.

The "Retrieve Ruck" button would certainly help.

There is only one problem, the grenade launchers (at least the ones on the scars, can't speak definitively about all of the others) do not work with the ACE Sight Adjustment System. So, although they have nice GL red dot sights, I have to aim at the moon to make my grenades go to range, this is not realistic, and a pain.

With the ELGM active press Shift-Numpad0 That will bring up a small range hint in the upper left corner. As you tilt your gun upwards the range will change. When the range is colored red if you fire the 203 at that angle it'll hit at that range. Should work with the SCARs just fine. Use that for range instead of the red dot on the side. Only problem is that anything more than 150-200m or so and you start to lose sight of your target so your aim might get a bit wobbly as you arc higher.

Thank you again for your help Kylania, and to all the others who have helped me in this thread.

Yeah, that works pretty well, definitely better than just pointing at the sky and taking pot-shots, although the ACE system where you dial in the range using the arrow keys would be better. Can't have everything I guess. This will do until I learn more about making config patches.

Update--I reinstalled the RH Mgs mod using Six Updater and with the new Beta activated and now the grenade launchers work with the ACE sight adjustment. Not sure what fixed it.

Edited by nodlew

Quick question,

whenever I try to use compress on a wounded soldier, it is never highlighted for any wound. What are the compresses used for?

I read the Wounding System documentation but couldn't find anything about the compress being used.

Cheers

anyone?

anyone?

It's for the mega bloody, the only time I've ever needed one on me was when a sniper got me in the chest on an op during a withdrawal

@azz_er: DaveP is right. :)

The use of large bandages/compresses is described in the ACE 1.10 RC3 Changelog:

Bandages do not fully stop bleeding, but reduce bloodloss, resulting in more bandages needed to apply to fully stop a bleeding (alternative use the large bandages for more effect)

I was going to post this as a Bug Report at the ACE site, but after reading (partially) the requirements and etiquette necessary to do so, I decided it was a great deal safer just to pose a quick question here. I did search the issue tracker and found no reference to "Binocular".

Using the script-- this addweapon "Binocular"; --

I am able to give my guys binoculars. But, whether I place them in my pack, or on their immediate person, I cannot select them for use. Rolling the scroll wheel on my mouse does not reveal them for selection, only the rest of my "weapons". No problem with any other of the optics I've tried--NVGoggles, MX, Yardage450, etc.

Safely assuming I am doing something wrong, what is it that I am doing wrong?

The other thing, when I have a weapon on my back, and one in my hand, i.e. an M79 GL on my back, and an M14 in my hands, and then I switch my rifle for the GL on my back, I lose all of my M14 Ammo--or vice versa, switching from M79 to M14, all of my M203 grenades disappear. This is most disconcerting in the middle of a firefight.

Again, what stupid error am I making to cause myself so much trouble?

Edited by nodlew

To use binoculars you should just be able to press the B key. Don't think I've ever used them from the action menu before. Now, things like rangefinders I can use from the action menu. But try B. :)

As for the ammo during battle thing, I always make sure to dump the ammo into my backpack first then switch, then move the new ammo over. It's completely unrealistic to swap weapons and ammo instantly on the fly and ACE isn't about unrealistic. heh

Do you lose your ammo in the middle of a firefight? I thought it only drops the ammo if you are using the gear option on an ammo crate or weapon holder?

Stuff shouldn't be automatically dropped if you use the gear option in the middle of nowhere as far as I know. Though maybe using a quick key to swap between back/hands stuff would be nice (and maybe there is one already hiding somewhere in the ACE settings menu, should check :)).

Dagnabbit, forgot about the B key. I've been testing the other range-finders, designators, etc. for so long, I forgot how to use the binoculars. Thanks once again Kylania.

Stuff shouldn't be automatically dropped if you use the gear option in the middle of nowhere as far as I know.

Galzohar, I'm pretty sure the ammo just disappears. This happened out in the open, no where near an ammo crate. At the ammo crate I was very careful to make sure that after adding various items, I still had the ammunition I needed. Then, in the fight, I switched from my Mk14 to the stand-alone m203 gl on my back and fired off some grenades. When I switched back to my rifle, all of my ammo was gone--even the magazine that was in the rifle itself. I was just about to search the ground for my ammunition when I was shot to death, so I'm not sure if the ammo was lying there, or merely vaporized into thin air.

Kylania, you make an interesting point about realism, and if moving the ammo to my pack will preserve it, then I'll use that method. Only problem being that in the mission in question, the ruck is a vanilla Arrowhead ruck which cannot hold all of my ammunition, but I can change that. Still, on the subject of realism, one would assume that the rifle and grenade ammo not stored in the pack would be carried in readily accessible pouches on the soldier's body, so switching to a back-up weapon would not have any effect on it's availability, and for the ammo to just stay there would actually be more realistic.

Anyway, thanks for your help dudes.

I was running a sniper mission the other night. Had a TAC-50SD and ammo for it in my back and bag (Molle I think it was) and in my hands I had a M4A1 SD for the insertion. When I went to swap my M4 to my back I got my TAC-50 and redid the ammo, but somehow I lost my M4, which made extraction under fire difficult!

The new shareable backpack system is pretty sweet though.

I was running a sniper mission the other night. Had a TAC-50SD and ammo for it in my back and bag (Molle I think it was) and in my hands I had a M4A1 SD for the insertion. When I went to swap my M4 to my back I got my TAC-50 and redid the ammo, but somehow I lost my M4, which made extraction under fire difficult!

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/21864 please include your rpt file and if possible a repro mission and steps.

Dagnabbit, forgot about the B key. I've been testing the other range-finders, designators, etc. for so long, I forgot how to use the binoculars. Thanks once again Kylania.

Galzohar, I'm pretty sure the ammo just disappears. This happened out in the open, no where near an ammo crate. At the ammo crate I was very careful to make sure that after adding various items, I still had the ammunition I needed. Then, in the fight, I switched from my Mk14 to the stand-alone m203 gl on my back and fired off some grenades. When I switched back to my rifle, all of my ammo was gone--even the magazine that was in the rifle itself. I was just about to search the ground for my ammunition when I was shot to death, so I'm not sure if the ammo was lying there, or merely vaporized into thin air.

Kylania, you make an interesting point about realism, and if moving the ammo to my pack will preserve it, then I'll use that method. Only problem being that in the mission in question, the ruck is a vanilla Arrowhead ruck which cannot hold all of my ammunition, but I can change that. Still, on the subject of realism, one would assume that the rifle and grenade ammo not stored in the pack would be carried in readily accessible pouches on the soldier's body, so switching to a back-up weapon would not have any effect on it's availability, and for the ammo to just stay there would actually be more realistic.

Anyway, thanks for your help dudes.

I believe the issue you're having is how BIS handles gear when you switch weapons and the like; if you're carrying magazines for something that you can't use and then switch out your weapon, the game appears to presume that the ammo you're carrying is either useless or for a weapon you just dropped and so gets rid of it in preparation to fill up the slots with ammo for your main weapon (as per when you grab a rifle from an ammo crate)

Please confirm fix http://dev-heaven.net/issues/21864#change-100251

---------- Post added at 18:54 ---------- Previous post was at 18:51 ----------

We will be releasing ACE for OA 1.11 RC4 off-schedule, instead of next week, it will come already this week (Friday).

Whatever glitches remain in the ACE system, they in no way detract from its excellence. It is in fact, indispensable for me playing CO. In fact, I really don't know what the vanilla game looks like, or plays like any more. Quite frankly, for a mod, I have never seen its like.

That said, I was being driven crazy by one aspect of the mod which I didn't even know I was utilizing. I went into the config and just turned on everything that sounded right to me, one of which features was ACE Reticle system. Since that unfortunate move, I have been trying desperately and vainly to find some way to get my weapon optics to stop lagging and glitching visually with mods. I finally discovered what the Ret Sys was all about--that 3d recoil thing with the fat black ring that lags on screen and the reticles that won't render and then won't disappear--disabled the damn thing, and now all is right with the world again. Although, I'm sure some features will now be missing from my game.

My computer is no great shakes of course, I'm sure it works fine on faster systems. The feature should come with a Disclaimer of some sort though--"If you experience lag with scopes, or visual anomalies, this feature should be turned off" would do nicely.

Ah, others were posting while I was posting--

the game appears to presume that the ammo you're carrying is either useless or for a weapon you just droppe
That makes sense, but it kinda makes a monkey out of the Weapon on Back system. I see that Sickboy has posted something related to a Fix, gonna look into that.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

The Ruck fix appears to have repaired the problem. Switching back and forth between weapon in hand and weapon on back, or weapon in hand and weapon in Ruck has no effect on the ready ammunition available to the unit. Good work, Guys!

Edited by nodlew