Sign in to follow this  
EDcase

Vehicle handling suggestion

Agree?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Agree?

• Yes
    • No

This is mainly for wheeled vehicles but could also influence tracked to a lesser extent...

When wheeled (car, jeep, etc) goes off road instead of being forced to slow speed could the controls be made less effective instead to give the impression of less grip.

So driving off road the vehicle would not respond to steering as quickly. (Vehicle will rotate but direction change will be slower making a slide).

Accelerating and braking would be slower to react so take longer to get to full effect (less grip). This would mean its more dangerous to drive at higher speeds as you can't avoid objects as easily.

I think this would make driving off road more fun and a bit more realistic.

What do you think?

Edited by EDcase

This annoys me so much that i recently wanted to mod it, but cant due to lack of time and not sure if the method i had in mind will work properly.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I think the problem is not so much that there is less grip- it's driving off road at 90 (and i don't mean on dirt roads), will destroy your car.

I think the problem is not so much that there is less grip- it's driving off road at 90 (and i don't mean on dirt roads), will destroy your car.

Tyre deflation after too much rough off-road driving, perhaps? It's already in the game in a way, run over a rock, and your tyre deflates. Maybe even a spare tyre system, similar to the SLX Mod's?

Edited by Laqueesha

No I mean driving like that off road will destroy your suspension, possibly flip the car, not to mention beat up the occupants.

So, it sounds like people should be careful while driving off road, just like in real life, yes?

Yes, really careful. Well, not so much careful as it's really rough on you and you can't really drive when your car is bouncing like that. I think that unless these penalties are in place, driving faster should not be possible. We need the penalties first. Moreover, I think it would be more frustrating for the player if they kept wrecking cars- and then you have to ask yourself whether it's any different forcing the player to drive at the same speed one way or the other.

Yes, really careful. Well, not so much careful as it's really rough on you and you can't really drive when your car is bouncing like that. I think that unless these penalties are in place, driving faster should not be possible. We need the penalties first. Moreover, I think it would be more frustrating for the player if they kept wrecking cars- and then you have to ask yourself whether it's any different forcing the player to drive at the same speed one way or the other.
Right now we already have the strange issue in OA that a HMMWV will be overtaken anytime by a Bradley doing 140 offroad downhill while the HMMWV is stuck at 95. In so called real life the tracks of the Bradley should start to desintegrate at that speed. Edited by Beagle

I completely agree. Something should happen or the speed should be limited.

I think the current system is good - it only needs some tweaking for certain vehicles, but otherwise it should work.

As someone maybe already wrote before, you just can't go faster than certain speed on rough terrain without the car starting to bounce too much, making the passengers jumping around inside the car (danger of injuries, interior redesigning with puke, and every item thats not tied down will be flying around), and if you push the pedal too much the car will end up broken, or landing on its side or even going over its roof.

So, there is no need to get rid of the automatic speed limitation which depends on current terrain surface type. Maybe only tweak it a little, because some vehicles may be able to go little faster, and some shouldn't be so fast, but otherwise the system seems ok.

... and if you push the pedal too much the car will end up broken, or landing on its side or even going over its roof...

Thats EXACTLY my point. It should be up to the driver to control that...

Each vehicle will have its top speed depanding on its engine and tyres but not as low as they are now offroad.

In real life there is no limiter to slow down a vehicle depending on where it drives so why should ARMA?!?!?!

Also vehicles will handle differently so you will notice more difference between driving a sedan or a jeep.

If you drive too fast (as in real life) the car will get more and more damaged.

There is more chance to skid into a boulder or flip it.

Thats how it is in real life and its not so hard to do in ARMA.

Edited by EDcase

To be honest, there are lots of things that are automatic in ArmA that are manual in real life. I guess it's a question of gameplay philosophy. The best way to get your suggestion noted by the devs is to make a CIT ticket, I think.

Voted no, actually. It's not that I don't want an endlessly complex solution (possibly requires big engine revisions) for proper damage handling, but it doesn't sound like the best spent developers time for something that already works fairly well (but far from perfect).

Going with surface speed modifications and individual vehicle tweaks just sounds much more cost effective. Vehicle handling isn't the only problem. I'm perfectly happy with slowing down automatically, but the surface definitions could be better; I'm driving faster on certain offroad surfaces than I am next to many roads.

If anything, there could be gradual damage to the "engine" (simulates other parts like gearbox etc) reducing the output of the engine slowing you down. In addition to the slowdown. The slowdown is still needed to prevent newbies destroying vehicles because they always drive to fast.

It's not all bad, it's just that I fear that it will ruin public gameplay even more by becoming more specific.