Sign in to follow this  
bigpickle

Chinook Exits

As everyone knows the main exit for troops on a chinook is the rear ramp, so could we have the ability to run in the back then select to be a passenger from the inside.

Then to unload select get out as normal but instead of placing you out side it keeps you loose inside so you can walk/run out the back your self.

Eject will still have the regular function.

Regards

Bp

This option is available in VBS2

This option is available in PR:Arma 2 (Seen in Videos, Pictures)

This similar option is available in AAW (Australians At War) Mod - Vehicle: Bushmaster

Most likely is the player walks into the vehicle (Chopper or APC) and they would walk towards a seat and find a "Sit" Option.

Yeah, this would be great for vanilla implementation. (no Mods needed)

Walk inside chinook to find seat option

Walk inside C130 to find seat option (or side door if ramp is up)

Agreed, it would be a good start. I really wish, one day, we'll be able to walk in a moving vehicle

pQMkG8qnOTk

OEQbjpw8gbs

Agreed. The Operation Unknown Sea Knights have this ability, which is great.

It'll be great to have, but just imagine the ruckess in pvp matches with everyone trying to get out at the same time :p

As much as I love the idea, I'm at the same time worried about simple things like not being the driver of a vehicle, and the lag that causes...

As much as I love the idea, I'm at the same time worried about simple things like not being the driver of a vehicle, and the lag that causes...

:confused: Having the exit point being inside the vehicle wouldn't cause lag, it just changes the exit point. What does that have to do with not being the driver, or lag? :confused:

:confused: Having the exit point being inside the vehicle wouldn't cause lag, it just changes the exit point. What does that have to do with not being the driver, or lag? :confused:

First, I like the idea of the internal exit point :)

Second, and to address this particular question, the issue of lag is introduced when any player who is not the driver of the vehicle, uses a vehicle. The ArmA2 game engine makes the vehicle local to the driver's machine, so as to give the driver absolute control despite ping issues. Everyone else is riding a machine updated from the driver's machine to the server, and then from the server to each client. Someone walking about on a moving surface that is a couple of updates behind will experience lag, warping & other weirdness. Not a biggie IMO, passengers should be seated when in motion in any case :)

The "Get Out" option doesn't appear unless a vehicle is pretty much stopped, so that wouldn't (or shouldn't I guess I should say) be an issue.

The "Get Out" option doesn't appear unless a vehicle is pretty much stopped, so that wouldn't (or shouldn't I guess I should say) be an issue.

I guess the poster who mentioned his worry about lag was thinking of the VBS2 video that shows someone moving about on a Chinhook inner floor surface, not in a cargo seat. I guess also that to complete the usefulness of this feature, that it would/should be possible to leave your seat in mid-flight and take up a gunner position in an emergency, or to otherwise jump out of the back of a Herc say for para drops.

:confused: and rightly so :p Sorry about that. I was referring to the comment(s) about VBS2 and walking inside vehicles. DMarkwick got me right. As for point locations, aren't those just memory points in a config file? Or are they model proxies (proxy points?)?

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I would love to have the ability to walk in or on vehicles/boats. This would add the possibility for mod developers to create for example moving fightcarriers or battleships thats a thing arma sadly lacks some nice naval warfare.

All I gotta add to this issue is that Joint ops gave you the abilaty to run around inside the choppers ( I remember I used to hide in the back of enemy puma's wait for the pilot to get in and fly off.. Then Stab him in the head and fly off with my prize) And that was like 156 players in one match and there were no lag issues....

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xw8v7VTwGVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I understand the games are quite quite different but they do share a lot of similarities as well...

This similar option is available in AAW (Australians At War) Mod - Vehicle: Bushmaster

The AAW Bushmaster is quite something to behold, in terms of real-life functionality and immersion effect. Why can't more Arma2 vehicles be more like this?

Does this create issues for the AI? Are they able to accurately get up there and get in? I would think that would be a primary reason for not doing it.

Surely they can just add some simple waypoints for A.I to find their way in vehicles?

Surely they can just add some simple waypoints for A.I to find their way in vehicles?

I think it would probably be more complicated than that. You would have a lot more variables like who gets to sit where, what happens if they run into each other, what if one of them gets killed, what if the chopper takes off while their still inside (especially for disembarking).

Shouldn't it be possible for the AIs "Get In" point to stay where it is (at the back of the Chinook, right at the ramp) and just move the "Get Out" point to inside the chopper a couple feet?

If so then none of the above would affect anything (Except for the Chinook taking off early, but I've seen that with everything from the Osprey to the Little Birds), as when the AI load into a Chinook (for me atleast) they run around the bird til some magic sense says they are where they need to be, then they line up, then they run single file to the Chinook's ramp and get in, one at a time.

Does this create issues for the AI? Are they able to accurately get up there and get in? I would think that would be a primary reason for not doing it.

This feature would indeed probably will not work with ai and why should it be? They can get in vehicles. But if it doesn't work with ai it shouldn't be implemented? I don't call that a valid reason. I would love to be able to walk in vehicles like it is in vbs2.

This thread has nothing to do with walking in vehicles like VBS2 or anything like that. It's about having the passengers "Get Out" exit point inside the back of the chinook, like vehicle "Get Out" points are right next to the driver/passenger side doors.

This thread has nothing to do with walking in vehicles like VBS2 or anything like that. It's about having the passengers "Get Out" exit point inside the back of the chinook, like vehicle "Get Out" points are right next to the driver/passenger side doors.

Has nothing to do with walking in vehicles?? okay..