Sign in to follow this  
scw1996

ArmA2 MAX pre-rendered frames (Nvidia)

Hi I'm new here...

I have been playing arma2(all expansions) for a while now and and am wondering about MAX pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel...

can someone please tell me what I should use? from 0-8.

cheers :)

and also any other tips to reduce mouse lag is much appreciated.

I play arma 2 with full settings.

[my rig]

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

CPU

Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz 35 °C

Lynnfield 45nm Technology

RAM

8.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. P55-USB3 (Socket 1156)

Graphics

W1943 @ 1360x768

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470

Hard Drives

78GB Seagate ST380815AS ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C

977GB Western Digital WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device (SATA) 30 °C

Optical Drives

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH22NS50 ATA Device

DTSoftBusCd00

Audio

Realtek High Definition Audio

I believe if you want to reduce mouse lag, "0" is the value you want to go for with max prerendered frames.

and also any other tips to reduce mouse lag is much appreciated.

I play arma 2 with full settings.

You can decrease mouse lag if you dont play ArmA2 on full settings. Things you should set to normal / low are:

- texture detail on normal

- post fx (off)

- object detail on normal

Leave shadows on high (GPU does the job rather than the CPU)

I play with 0 pre-rendered frames. Both in Nvidia center and editing the ArmA2.cfg file somwhere on your HD.

Yep, 0 worked best for me but note that some people had crashes when set to 0 so then use 1.

Also note that with the latest patch (1.59) your character turns slower when crouched or prone.

Thanks guys I reallllllyyy appreciate all the helpful fast replies!!!!!!:)

I am under the assumption that the slight mouse lag I get does not happen to you guys?

do you people have better pc specifications then me? is there anything I should upgrade to make my arma 2 more perfect?

You could try to overclock your CPU If you really feel the need to do something. And maybe a better GPU

Well, i OCed my 9550 Quadcore from 2.8Ghz to 3.6Ghz and i gained about 30% more fps (gutfeeling).

Then i upgraded my GTX260 to a GTX460 and now to a GTX570, gained about 50% more fps. (tested with ingame benchmark)

Finally i bought a Kingston v+100 128GB SSD and installed ArmA2 on it.

These 3 things really go a long way if you want a more smoother ArmA2 gameplay. But its still not enough to go all HIGH on the settings though, you need to be reasonable about it.

Yep, 0 worked best for me but note that some people had crashes when set to 0 so then use 1.

This. Also turn of vsync.

I once read that setting it to higher than 0 has multicore benefits, i currently have it on 1 but i never really saw a difference between 0 and 1. However anything higher than 2 gives me incredibly annoying mouselag.

Edited by NeMeSiS

I have max prerendered frames on, 1 , setting it to 0 halves my framerate!!, so experiment with it, use fraps alongside orso.

This. Also turn of vsync.

i currently have it on 1 but i never really saw a difference between 0 and 1. However anything higher than 2 gives me incredibly annoying mouselag.

Same here, pre-rendered frames activation really causes a lot of mouse lag, it makes it so bad I can hardly aim (read hit) at anything and mostly kill sand pixels. It did turn my frames up though when using higher values but it makes the game unplayable so I set it back to 0.

Does anyone know of a program that just over clocks the CPU?

and is over clocking a CPU bad for it?

(i7 quad core 2.93 Ghz)

thanks again :D

(i7 quad core 2.93 Ghz)

first you should read about overclocking CPU/GPU/RAMS...

P.S. as for my self, i have red about it, not enough, but i'm not in a hurry with OC thing, since my PC would melt anyway before achieving any increase.

I wish OC thing was easy as custom PC buildup from parts for me :j:

does anyone know what the 3D resolution does???

I turned it down to match the normal resolution setting and now it runs perfectly! XD

(i7 quad core 2.93 Ghz)

Well generally speaking, if you don't take care and your CPU runs too hot because of the overclocking, you will destroy it over time. Sadly I'm not that much into OC. My PC would explode before I reach good results

Overclocking will not give a huge benefit and you must do a good bit of research beforehand.

Yes, keep the 3d res the same as screen res. (Its stupid that it can go above screen res)

Use HDR 'Normal'

VSync 'Disabled'

Check in Settings/Controls that Mouse Smoothing is lowest (slider to left)

'researching overclocking' usually means you roam about the forums at www.overclockers.net or www.guru3d.net

after 2 hours you know what to do, then its just 1 tiny step after another before testing. your cpu is only in danger if you're OCing too much at a time without testing afterwards.

before anything breaks you either get

- freezes/crashes (normally ram related, happens if your ram is too slow or doesnt get enough volts)

- BSODs / CTD / Sudden resets (normally CPU is too stressed, too hot (bad ventilation) or doesnt get enough volts

- flickering pixels, dots, lines, or completely messed up textures ingame (gfx-card related, too hot, too stressed)

If the CPU runs hot for long periods that will reduce its life.

So make sure to have GOOD cooling on CPU and in the case.

Huh, I've always thought (and experienced) better FPS will "pre-rendered frames" set to 3.

Setting them to "0" means much more work for your GPU to keep up doesn't it?

Also, shadows should be left on HIGH?? That will take workload OFF your CPU? Is this correct? I have mine set to low I believe.

I'm running a 2.4Ghz Quad Core XPS 720 system. With a GTX 460 1 GB RAM vid Card.

I've tested it with 0 and 3, not much difference in fps. when it's on 0 it's a easier to aim if the fps bogs down. And if the fps is medium/high I dont care I could have more.

Do you guys notice a differencing in graphics between matching the 3d resolution with the interface resolution or having the 3D resolution on full?

and whats the graphical difference with running the resolution in windowed?

the 3d resolution largely determines the workload of the gpu. Of course there's a bit more work with the resizing but that's peanuts compared to the actual rendering. I run at 110% or something with a bit of antialiasing, gives better quality than 100% +lots of aa imo.

Does anyone here think it it helps performance or makes it worse to have to visibility on full? I have heard mixed things on this......

You mean the view distance (VD) or the 3d rendering resolution?

Full VD will kill any machine out there... except SKYNET and HAL9000.

Thats actually quite funny because I think it is possible to mod the Viewdistance up to 50km. (Seriously, your PC would just melt....)

I literally have no problems with my new setup running ArmA 2 at MAX settings every single thing at the highest setting it can go, EVERY setting. HDR, AA, its all maxed out. View Distance is also 10000 and I get about 28 FPS average, when im moving around in a city. Inland running or flying around about 34 fps average. Im running i5-2500k oc'd to 4.5 GHZ stable and 4gb 1600mhz ram, 6950 2gb flashed to 6970. I also oc'd above the 6970 and oc'd the i5-2500k to a stable 4.7 ghz, the frames see about 3-5 frame increase.

Thats all on ArmA 2...

OA is a different story, with everything set at that I get better frames but right as im in a town and I move my frames go to 1-4 and it stutters incredibly bad. At standard very high settings its playable moving around but the frames begin again to go down to low levels 7-10. It sucks.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

Also tested the ArmA 2 max settings with a incredible battle of around 50 Abrams vs 50 T-80's? With about 10 squads on each side battling, frames stayed around 20-22 average.