Fox '09

Task Force 121 pack by Fox '09

Thought I'd post some of the progress, some minor updates to normal maps etc.

Take_On_H_2012_05_07_18_33_14_31.jpg

(click)

I'm a little busy working on a surprise, but it isn't related to my units. Things should speed up soon once I finish the paraclete pouch set & HPC. Also coming, era accurate buckle dating (and style), new radio system, and more.

Edited by Fox '09

nice to hear all that fox !!! =] ... and i think we all like surprises .. =]

they are really starting to come together mate, looks great.

I love these Units, the models are really fantastic. From an art design perspective, though, I think they could benefit from more aggressive normal mapping, wrinkles and things like that. I want to stress though, this is no demand, rather my observation and opinion. At this level of modding, I think if you do it as you´re doing it, you have a good reason to do so. :>

I just felt like I had to run my mouth and put this out there, heh. I feel that more complex shading would make these Units much more tangible and life-sized-feeling.

I love these Units, the models are really fantastic. From an art design perspective, though, I think they could benefit from more aggressive normal mapping, wrinkles and things like that. I want to stress though, this is no demand, rather my observation and opinion. At this level of modding, I think if you do it as you´re doing it, you have a good reason to do so. :>

I just felt like I had to run my mouth and put this out there, heh. I feel that more complex shading would make these Units much more tangible and life-sized-feeling.

It's precisely what I've been working on in the last couple weeks. Before I can move onto making more than one unit I need to settle on some normal maps. I'm trying to use displacement maps and other methods to mold the model to the cloth folds (and then rebake), kind of like how the Crysis 2 marines are set up. Those are probably made in zbrush or some other program, but the general style is appealing to me. I just purchased Ndo2 a little while ago which should help in this endeavor. Perhaps this weekend I'll post some of the progress from that front, and hopefully you guys can help me get it down :)

Edited by Fox '09

arma2oa_2012_05_11_18_49_27_21.jpg

and another photo. radio equipment is still on the way so the strange deformations on the wire will have to stay. Lots of visual artifacts I'll be cleaning up.. as you can see, there is still a lot of work to do.

arma2oa_2012_05_11_18_49_43_32.jpg

And so I return to you with this. I'm still looking at ways of tweaking the vertex shading modes so that the edges of the folds are sharp but the interior of the deformed area is still pronounced.

Re: the wire deformations - try experimenting with the "head" selection on the next two vertice sets of the wire. The goal is to make the stretch happen somewhere natural (e.g. on the portion immediately after emerging from the vest towards the neck), rather than have the two floating vertice sets you can see at the moment.

Of course, if you're about to re-do all the radio gear, probably not worth it.

Definitely more beta testing required. Certainly.

Sleeves and associated patches looking much more natural now. See if you can tidy up the shadow problems visible on the MICH neck pad, if bored.

Great step forward. It looks very good already on the legs. The only thing that bugs me is how Arma always distorts the models, so the flag turns into a trapezoid shape. It´s not so pronounced here as it is on the OA soldiers, but I wish there was a way to prevent that. I like the velcro patches irl, so I keep eyeing them all the time ingame. It´s sort of a tick I can´t turn off :/

Love these. I bet they will turn out wonderfully operationally tacticool and high-speed on the Arma 2/3 battlefield once finished. Can´t wait :O

It has been a while since I posted any updates, so here I am.

Capture.jpg

http://threewise.webs.com/BHIDOAV.jpg

I've been a little busy working on these, which are not the same as the 2005 units. I'm afraid those may be postponed until later, however these will be filling in the gap. DOAV courtesy of Jeffers Pang, WIP image from a couple weeks ago.

If there is something I'm missing or incorrect on my textures, please alert me of it, I'm trying to get things right before I move onto putting an addon together. Some areas will not be used in the addon, and are left undetailed.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/CIA_BODY.jpg

Here are two images of the 2005 unit(s) in their present state and in game. First image is a good demonstration of the cloth fold progress I'm making, however the crotch weighting is a little buggered right now.

arma2oa_2012_06_02_01_43_03_30.jpg arma2oa_2012_06_04_17_40_29_83.jpg

Progress is slow because I have some other addon obligations I'm working on, which are taking up most of my time. If you have a decent swatch for woodland DPM for the NZDF please drop a PM my way, I am in need of a large swatch (doesn't have to be seamless).

Edited by Fox '09

Awesome work Fox. The units looks awesome and I love that DOAV.

-edit-

That AOR 2 is sweet as well.

Edited by SuicideCommando

this olive camo looks a bit like the idf uniforms :)

but reall nice job on those waiting for more updates :)

Awesome work Fox. The units looks awesome and I love that DOAV.

-edit-

That AOR 2 is sweet as well.

The AOR 2 is actually Jeffer Pang's doing I think. Before I dabble in AOR etc ArmA 3 will have to come out. I am collecting resources however, such as LBT vests and other modern accessories such as a wireless PTT

I mentioned that, it's weighting, not the model, and yes I'll be fixing it before any release.

looking at the units and the progress you make is simply astonishing! Kinda makes me want to install ArmA2 and all the modding tools again :)

Keep up the good work!

thanks johnny, you inspired me to learn in the first place, and I appreciate your help and support. I've nearly phased out all of your models as you suggested a while back, and so another chapter begins :)

looking at the units and the progress you make is simply astonishing! Kinda makes me want to install ArmA2 and all the modding tools again

Get back to work, Gunnery Sergeant.

In light of the other camo thread I figured I'd post some of my resources. I know some of the character artists already have some of these but it may be useful to others.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/ACU1.jpg - Source is US ARMY press website (now gone). I also have the 300 MB original file, if anyone needs it drop me a message.

http://filesmelt.com/dl/Multicam.jpg -Source is me, took photo off of back of surplus coat I bought at a store. The tiling is awful but works in some areas. If you want the original drop me a message.

Edited by Fox '09

Those units looks kewl and epic awesome job man :D

They look like they're shaping up, only gripe and don't take this wrong is the pants.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/39121/thumbs/s-BAGGY-PANTS-large.jpg

They look like ghetto SF, straight from compton... Any chance on changing/fixing it?

Ghetto SF from Compton? How about just stating that the pants look wrong and let Fox respond, instead of making statements that could give the wrong impression. By the way, baggy pants are no longer strictly associatated with the "ghetto" and it hasn't for years now.

Ghetto SF from Compton? How about just stating that the pants look wrong and let Fox respond, instead of making statements that could give the wrong impression. By the way, baggy pants are no longer strictly associatated with the "ghetto" and it hasn't for years now.

Yeah, already reported with beta-testing anyway so I think there is beeing worked on.