• Libya
    • North Korea
    • Dense Jungle/Swamp
    • Mixed Terrain - Jungle/Mountain/Desert/Plains
    • Cuba
    • Scottish Highlands/Coast
    • China
    • City/Urban

I voted for a Winter Afghanistan type look, like having some incredibly high mountains with snowy peaks, but still have a lot of cover a terrain deviation on top of the mountains, not like takistan where the mountains are empty and you can shoot form the bottom of the mountain to the top.

Hi everyone!

Some interesting responses so far!

I'm not going to actually vote on this poll since it's likely I'll be helping a little on the construction front - but it's been very interesting reading the comments so far!

Perhaps first I should mention the fairly obscure Maps Under Construction thread... this is generally where we boast/moan/discuss terrains currently in progress... there's some interesting stuff in the pipeline...

Worth a look... like Commander just said above - the terrain you want may already be on the way!

Anyhow... purely from an actual terrain-making perspective - here's a few comments in no particular order to bear in mind while suggesting/voting, etc...

BIG maps...

This can be done - see Rip's Normandy, etc... however there's a price... ground detail...

To go this big basically you have to make the ground out of much bigger "cells" - OFP sized cells or bigger - this means no intricate or detailed hills or coastlines... if each cell is 50m or more then you really can't make any ground or coastline feature smaller than that...

Winter maps...

Winter veg could probably be done... several people have done limited selections for their own terrains...

House, etc models are a different story... there'd be a LOT of work putting snow on everything - as someone has already mentioned... this could only really be done with the available Arma 1 buildings selection - we can't really retex the Arma 2/Arrowhead buildings at all... not to that extent anyway - plus that level of retooling of models turns the whole thing into a modelling exercise rather than a "fast build community terrain"...

That doesn't mean winter maps can't be done... go check out Winter Thirsk - one of my all-time favourites!...but there's object limitations we'd probably have to accept...

Urban maps...

Back to buildings selections again... We have an Arma 1 buildings "big city"... The excellent Fallujah... that performs surprisingly well!

Then theres the forthcoming "Emita City" by Bracer... thats effectively an Arma 2 buildings city... on a slightly smaller scale than Fallujah - I think - we've yet to see how that will perform...

For an Arrowhead buildings "city" we have - Zargabad...anyone notice this lags a little ;)... imagine it bigger - much bigger.... those buildings are quite heavy on resources...

Again... urban maps are perfectly possible - there's a few on the way and theres probably room for a few more...

Summer maps...

Someone mentioned me & Betons "Summervegetation"... there's two versions of this... the one that was linked to before is a "replacement pack" which will auto-replace those autumn trees on any map that uses them... it won't do anything about the satellite layer (the hills and landscape you see in the distance) though... it's just a "quick fix" mainly intended for Chernarus...

However - there's another version -think of that as a "Summer Veg for Islandmakers"... it works exactly the same way as the familiar "Berghoffs African Foliage"... it's a complete pack of all the BIS Arma 2 veg in summer colours and you download it once and use the same files for any and all islands that require them...

OK so there aren't any islands released yet using this pack - which is why it's not familiar to most people - yet... but there's a few in the pipeline...

It's a big download though - 200mb or more.... though, as I say - it'll come in handy later on when there's several islands released which require it...

Bear in mind that extra downloading requirement though if you request a summer map - though of course we're really only talking about "European- style" summer terrains there...

I guess that's about it on the "obvious limitations to bear in mind" front... nothing too restricting, just the usual concerns about extremes of size and/or the sort of objects and models you could feasibly expect to see on a "fast" terrain...

On the actual locality question - there's no real limits! from Hawaii to the surface of Mars - if you can walk around on it, it can probably be modelled...

Finally.... for those who vote for the Scottish Highlands/West Coast... click my sig pic... I haven't abandoned this one... later this year sometime for sure - I promise ;)... it's as big as Cherno - even though it's officially the "least populated area of the EU" that still means a lot of crazy coastal roads - and crazy coastlines - not to mention the 300+ peaks of 1000m or more (make that 250m or more in my heavily scaled version)... that's a lot of hills... in fact - it's pretty much all hills... it's the "highlands", remember... ;)

Of course that doesn't mean I won't contribute heavily to another Scottish map if that's how the vote/decision turns out... a smaller area at a more realistic scale could be cool too...

Currently I've been sidetracked mightily from Scotland by another terrain about which I'm sworn to secrecy for the moment - I'm not allowed to even mention Elephants or anything...

oops... :o

B

Edited by Bushlurker

@=WBG=WESLEY

ive got just the map for u

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=116630

almost 58km in diagonal +- 16x takistan.

lower left to upper right corner takes u 9 minutes to fly @260kmh

so in a tank going 80kmh it still takes ages to get there

only thing im looking for are fellow comunity members to fill it with buildings, roads, bridges, vegetation and stuff like that it would be 34 villages to fill this is industrial area's included.

villages are a small so could be done quit fast if u know how its done.

takistan buildings fit for the map style, roads would be 95% dust roads.

there are screenshots in the thread go take a look.

landscape is 80% optimized right now...

map consist green area's a huge desert, rivers, mountain's

I definitely went for cities, because a city would structure a different kind of game. Imagine being a sniper on a chopper looking for a target in a jammed street, a kamikaze which would blow the car if you can't stop him while other troops directly fight on the road house by house... :D

north korea!

Agreed I would love to have North Korea

we need more cool maps with awesome environment much compounds high grass some lakes or rivers high walls for cover . good roads for convoys and ambushes some open fields

What about keeping up with the ArmA world and make a map based off of Karzeghistan or maybe something like the Ardistan/Takistan border. Takistan side consisting of desert green zones with a transition into greener fields and wooded areas as you travel into Ardistan? Complete with a border wall/city area in the center with snow capped mountains or something?

None of the above I would love to see UK Cumbria map (Scottish highlands almost in terms of terrain but kind of more farmland and chernarus esq with road access and farms etc): That would cover hills, flying, ambushes on roads, nice open field areas for tanks, even WW2 scenarios.

GOOGLE MAPS

Edited by mrcash2009

)rStrangelove;1900146']Cuba & Urban City would be good. Or combine them both and have a large jungle with a big city like Havanna in the middle.

- that - would - rock :)

I agree fully with you.

I would like a Cuban island with large city on it. Beautiful beaches,women,Sunny weather and large war. :p (That like map would be cool to many kind of scenarios.)

I think there's so much Afghan maps coming so i think its better to to something different from them.

I've voted for mixed terrain. Something like Arulco from Jagged alliace 2 would be really great! :D

I voted for a china map just for the sake of it. :D

kind regards

China is a... big place.

Would you be referring to the mountains, the deserts, the plateau, the plains, the foothills, the delta or the forest?

I would like to see an urban/city map. I really want a map based off of somewhere in America.

I would like to see some North America/U.S.A. suburb maps as there are not too many from the community (if at all); it could make some great U.O. action. :cool:

I would like to see an urban/city map. I really want a map based off of somewhere in America.

Same here.

Schmalfelden but bigger would be awesome. Full of 'life' and some great scenery.

Love the idea of the big map makers combining forces. Will keep tracks of this!

Schmalfelden- Love the idea of the big map makers combining forces. Will keep tracks of this!

Ohh good call paragraphic on the Schmalfelden type map! :cool:

I'm currenlty working on:

- Red Dawn 1984 locations map with a substantal feel of the Sahrani on 3/4 of the parts (woods, euro-feel, mountain & desert).

Hell yeah! that sounds nice...

I voted for China and N.Korea...But! what parts of the country would you guys do then?

and honestly a nice central european 80s style map would be cool. maybe something with the inner German border....well, maybe next time :D and good luck with the project!

I'd like to see a large island that has a diverse landscape, 20x20+ with coastal cities, a mountain range then an inland desert behind that. Similar to Washington state, where Western WA is forested temperate region with fir trees (Like Chernarus) and Eastern is more of a desert with pine trees (Like a cross between Utes and Takistan) both separated by a mountain range.

I chose City/Urban. I would like for something from the USA itself. Even if it was inspired by the bigger cities like Chicago (down town), San Diego (port area), Los Angeles (tram line + hollywood studio's.) Washington D.C. (government/capitol area, broad parade-street.) Dallas/Forth Worth (airport layout) And ofcourse the "Crammed Canyon" :D (CO Dam-structure! referring to Grand Canyon would-be Hoover-dam! ;) )

For North Korea I would think the obvious choice would be the DMZ. For china, the possibilities are endless, you could even do the Spratly islands (or some of them).

A DPRK - ROK DMZ border map would be good. Vilas' DPRK units vs Zerg63's LCWF ROK units. ;)

I chose City/Urban. I would like for something from the USA itself. Even if it was inspired by the bigger cities like Chicago (down town)' date=' San Diego (port area), Los Angeles (tram line + hollywood studio's.) Washington, D.C. (government/capitol area, broad parade-street.) Dallas/Forth Worth (airport layout) And ofcourse the "Crammed Canyon" :D (CO Dam-structure! referring to Grand Canyon would-be Hoover-dam! ;) )[/quote']

IIRC, South Zagoria is nearly identical in size to Washington, D.C. in terms of square kilometres.

Edited by Laqueesha