Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.5 (CO)

Played this Mod for some time the last days.... Its huge, couldn't even explore it fully (lack of time).

I dont want to sound too much criticizing or something like that... but... well...:

The Mod is still in beta right? At least i hope so, because there is still a pretty huge variation in quality between models, sounds, everything. Also the Performance with this mod loaded is horrible, really horrible... in SP as well as in MP. Same on my Brothers PC. We can play other "Super-Mods" like ACE(X) with 10 times the units and more fluid than with the Invasion 1944 Mod.

So much for the bad words (25% of my overall impression), sorry!

'Beta' is kind of a hard term to apply to the mod, as unlike a commercial game we're constantly working on its development, there's no real final stage we're aiming to reach and cut off development of new content. So we're always working on improving the mod beyond each release, taking feedback from the community to develop it further for the next one.

This is also the reason you see a mixed level of content in the mod. With the ArmA2 version we've used content from various previous versions as well as brand new stuff. So the older models tend to be built towards older games which often had lower polygon counts which the engine and machines could handle at the time. For the most part we've only used models which still stand up reasonably well still, but there's definitely a few weapon models that are starting to show their age. While we'd love to be able to replace everything up to A2 standards, with such a small team its not feasible to do this all in one go, so we try to focus the development towards the most important equipment in regards to the state their current model is in (or whether it even exists in the case of completely new units like the new Hetzer).

Sounds have been nearly completely overhauled with 2.6, Macolik's been making some great new sound effects some of which you'll have noticed in the new videos. This is something we'll always be working on improving as we find new samples and resources trying to get the weapons sounding as good and accurate to the real thing as possible.

Performance is something we've really focused on for 2.6 and so far we've been seeing great improvements at each new test session, through a combination of eliminating bugs and improving the model optimisation the mods running better than ever, but there's always room for improvement and we'll do our best to what time allows. In regards to number of units, it really depends which units you're using as a couple of models have a limited range of LOD models so high detail models get used at greater distances, we're doing our best to improve these as we go but again time is a limiting factor here.

Other than that it was very awesome to play (75% of my overall impression), Many things accurately realized from that area, very nice. Looking forward to any improvement over time and really hope to see your mod around even when ArmA3 is out and the whole community switching for it.

Thanks for the feedback, if you do have specific issues with units, make sure to check our dev-heaven page to see if it has been reported, and if we've fixed it. We look forward to ArmA 3's release, here's hoping development teams get a chance to start looking at the requirements for modding soon to minimise the post-release development time for mod teams.

when is 2.6 out people this just gets even more epic with each update!!!!

As we always say, when it's ready! The last thing we want to do is to have to do release day patches to fix issues we could have solved before release, there's always a couple of bugs that could be found with just a bit more testing so we're making every effort to get a stable release out that people can enjoy for a long time, with the maximum amount of new content that we can jam in. By setting a date it just ends up rushing things, trust me its worth the wait!

Hey, my uncle has a T34 that runs if you guys ever need sounds or pictures. At least I thought I saw some Russian units in some of your pictures...

Hello all

Also, dont forget Bovington Tankk Meuseum has a running Tiger as well as a plethora of other ww2 veicles to view/see running/record. Worth a trip IMHO.

The only issues Ive noticed with the mod are some of the legacy weapons low poly counts, but once im playing I soon forget about them.

If I were running the mod, i'd concentrate on adding new features (like the amazing weapon resting) as hi res models can be added as and when (afaik!). (Also, theres a vast amount of mid to hi res skinned royalty free ww2 models, if not used commercially, that could be used to save time)

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the next release!

rgds

LoK

PacUK

Thanks for that very honest & good answer. Again i don't wanted to sound too negative or so, i hope you get the thing with the 75/25%, so even though my text with negative comment might be "longer" and the one with positive remarks is shorter , its still that the overall impression is 75% positive. :-)

I'm really looking forward to 2.6 then :-)

Hey, my uncle has a T34 that runs if you guys ever need sounds or pictures. At least I thought I saw some Russian units in some of your pictures...

Thanks for the offer, there's currently no plans for one, the russian side of the war isn't something we're too focused on right now but if we ever get to that side of the conflict we'll be in touch! Though Macolik might like to check out any sound samples you could make for certain elements he could mix into other sounds.

Also, dont forget Bovington Tankk Meuseum has a running Tiger as well as a plethora of other ww2 veicles to view/see running/record. Worth a trip IMHO.

Where possible we've tried to source original sounds for the vehicles from various sources so I wouldn't be surprised if some came from a visit there. The main problem there is sounds from the other visitors often cloud anything I would be able to capture so without a more professional sound recording artist / equipment available the quality probably wouldn't be that great from my camera phone ;)

The only issues Ive noticed with the mod are some of the legacy weapons low poly counts, but once im playing I soon forget about them.

Hopefully in 2.7 or so we might be able to produce some newer models, its mostly a matter of needing modellers which we're in short supply of, so anyone wanting to work on some high polygon ww2 era weapons feel free to get in touch!

If I were running the mod, i'd concentrate on adding new features (like the amazing weapon resting) as hi res models can be added as and when (afaik!).

This has been a large part of 2.6's development, we've got some great features in the new version that we hope should add a lot to mod as well as opening up the gameplay to players and missions makers so fingers crossed they'll be a larger SP/MP community beyond the release week. We'll be putting some videos out showing more of these systems closer to release.

(Also, theres a vast amount of mid to hi res skinned royalty free ww2 models, if not used commercially, that could be used to save time)

We generally avoid these types of models and opt for original works created by the team members, while it does increase development time, it avoids issues with improperly lisenced models that can arise. It does also mean however that we can ensure as much consistancy between the level of quality of each unit as well as style and colouring. However we have co-operated with several other WW2 based addons (such as The Few, and Hell in the Pacific) to help widen the scope of units available hopefully for the benefit of both teams.

Thanks for that very honest & good answer. Again i don't wanted to sound too negative or so, i hope you get the thing with the 75/25%, so even though my text with negative comment might be "longer" and the one with positive remarks is shorter , its still that the overall impression is 75% positive. :-)

We try and read and where appropriate reply to all feedback, as we do want people to enjoy and keep playing the mod so its great to know what areas people like and dislike so we can focus on improving the mod for the userbase while still achieving what we want to see in the next release.

Its great to see people excited for 2.6's release, I know the wait's hard but with new content, features and fixes rolling in everyday it should be more than worth it. We've recently expanded our test team again, thanks to the 6th Airborne Division for helping out there, you may have seen them in our latest video creeping across Utes with us.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to expand the team again soon to gather as much feedback as possible, so if you're in a clan/group that is going to be playing I44 (or already are) please do get in touch and let us know!

Not sure if this has been asked/answered before but now that the US will get the M2 Flamethrower (courtesy of HitP mod) are there plans for the Germans to get the Flammenwerfer 35?

Its mainly a matter of having someone with time to model the german version (and a british version) which we don't have yet. With the small team currently so rushed off our feet when this will happen I'm not quite yet sure when that will be, so for 2.6 I would only expect an M2 model but we'll probably use the model for a placeholder for the other countires variants.

Hi guys! First of all amazing job! Can't wait for the 2.6 :)

I think i found a bug, maybe it's known...

When i use the weapon resting module i can't see my hud anymore.

Maybe the code can help you:

class RscPicture

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = -1;

style = ST_PICTURE;

colorBackground[] = {0, 0, 0, 0};

colorText[] = {1, 1, 1, 1};

font = "Bitstream"; //Typeface

sizeEx = 0;

};

class RscTitles

{

class BTC_Hud

{

idd=1111;

movingEnable=0;

duration=1e+011;

name="BTC_Hud";

onLoad = "uiNamespace setVariable [""HUD"", _this select 0];";

controlsBackground[] = {};

objects[] = {};

class controls

{

class Score

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = 5000;

style = ST_CENTER;

x = 1.1;

y = 1;

w = 0.15;

h = 0.05;

font = "Zeppelin32";

sizeEx = 0.03;

colorText[] = {1, 0,0, 1};

colorBackground[]={0,0,0,0.3};

text = "";

};

class Text

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = 5001;

style = ST_CENTER;

x = 1.1;

y = 0.95;

w = 0.15;

h = 0.05;

font = "Zeppelin32";

sizeEx = 0.03;

text = "Score";

};

class Kills

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = 5002;

style = ST_CENTER;

x = 0;

y = 0;

w = 0.15;

h = 0.05;

font = "Zeppelin32";

sizeEx = 0.03;

text = "";

};

class Time

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = 5003;

style = ST_CENTER;

x = - 0.23;

y = - 0.27;

w = 0.15;

h = 0.05;

font = "Zeppelin32";

sizeEx = 0.03;

text = "";

};

class Deathes

{

type = CT_STATIC;

idc = 5004;

style = ST_CENTER;

x = 0;

y = 0;

w = 0.15;

h = 0.05;

font = "Zeppelin32";

sizeEx = 0.03;

text = "";

};

};

};

};

When i use the weapon resting module i can't see my hud anymore.

We haven't had that problem reported before, are you talking about the standard game hud? That should be unaffected. Custom/other mod huds may not work with it, thats not something we can really test for given development time. You may also want to check you difficulty settings and make sure thats not disabling your hud features.

Not the standard game hud, maybe "hud" isn't so correct...Anyway i posted the relative code in the spoiler in the previous post.

We no longer have anyone working on the weapon resting, so quite where/how this code is used I'm really not sure what its meant to be doing or fixing so really would need more info before we start looking into working on that. So if you could expand on exactly what the issue is we may be able to look into it.

I found out what's the problem. In arma you can't have two cutRsc at the same time. I fixed the problem changing my cutRsc in titleRsc.

Is the image of the weapon resting module so necessary? Maybe to let you understand that the weapon is rested you can use just a sound or an hint...Or you can add a variable to the module so the mission maker can choose to show the image or not...In this way you can prevent any others incompatibility with mods/scripts. Just my two cents :)

Keep up the good work! :)

Edited by Giallustio

Odd, are you running ACE2 with I44? That used to be the problem with me then I found out it was ACE2 causing it.

I had the same problem, but adding ACEX and a older ACE "grenade.pbo" fixed the problem for me.. Don't ask me why:o

Thanks now it works. My arma works muuch faster without ACE2 GL4 and ASR! By the way Thompson and BAR sound sucks.

Is the image of the weapon resting module so necessary? Maybe to let you understand that the weapon is rested you can use just a sound or an hint...Or you can add a variable to the module so the mission maker can choose to show the image or not...In this way you can prevent any others incompatibility with mods/scripts.

The image is pretty necessary as our resting is automatic, a sound or hint would become very intrusive to the players when navigating certain environments. Compatibility with others mods isn't something we generally look for as we try to incorporate all the features we'd like to see directly into the mod without needing to download other mods to play it as we intended. There will always be something incompatible, and if we were to try and be 100% compatible with every mod/script available we'd never be able to release. Also the display in question can always be deactivated through user preferences in the weapon resting options.

I had the same problem, but adding ACEX and a older ACE "grenade.pbo" fixed the problem for me.. Don't ask me why

This is due to ACE using a different 'throw' action to us, therefore when you load I44 with ACE the classes are updated and no longer correspond correctly (greandes with the 'throw' weapon).

Thanks now it works. My arma works muuch faster without ACE2 GL4 and ASR! By the way Thompson and BAR sound sucks.

Considering both sounds have since gone through 6+ versions before we settled on the current ones for 2.6 I guess it was time well spent, as mentioned before, and as seen in our recent videos, nearly all of our sounds have been redone. You really have to remember we're a free modification not a game studio with access to top notch sound equipment or the real weapons for sampling, we can't use copyrighted sounds from other games or tv shows, so sounds are always going to be one of the hardest things to real nail down, but I feel like we have some excellent ones for 2.6's release. But try not to critique stuff by saying "it sucks", it doesn't help us actually identify what the problem is, and we're probably already aware that its not perfect anyway... it also means I have to try and resist "so does your mum" retorts, and thats never easy!

Its mainly a matter of having someone with time to model the german version (and a british version) which we don't have yet. With the small team currently so rushed off our feet when this will happen I'm not quite yet sure when that will be, so for 2.6 I would only expect an M2 model but we'll probably use the model for a placeholder for the other countires variants.

Ah okay then, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to imagine an M2 being the FW35. Times like this though that I knew how to 3D model as I'd defo help out with the modelling.

A Pzfaust downs houses with a single hit on i44 Omaha map. Is that correct? :confused:

Arma X CO install (V1.59.79385)

CBA 0.7.4.154

i44 V2.51

no other mods & modules

There's a couple new screenshots up on our ModDB page showing of the new Winter version of Merderet featuring American, British, and German units.

A Pzfaust downs houses with a single hit on i44 Omaha map. Is that correct?

I don't think its meant to no, but haven't experienced it myself to say, I'll try and take a look into it sometime over the next couple of days and make sure there's not a big issue with a single round taking out large buildings.