Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Invasion 1944 v2.5 (CO)

3NiRjCqtB40

Here's an early preview of some of our upcoming Commonwealth troops.
The infantry model is based on a submission by Waxbutter, with improvements made by Marcel and Macolik.
We're also working on adding some new armour units for them in the very near future keep an eye out for more updates soon!

britpromo1.jpg
britpromo2.jpg
britpromo3.jpg
britpromo4.jpg Edited by SFG

This is superb, loving it!

In my opinion the Arma2 engine is better suited for WW2 gameplay with all eyeball detection than modern hitec systems.

A question: Will the Brits use voices from BAF?

And while im at it: are you guys making a German voicepack?

(Sorry if this has been asked already)

Very good looking UK units.

Would be great if ther could be a Scottish unit to, with a Tam or Glen Garry ;)

So with the planes from the FEW, are you going to update them? or can you at all?

We can update them but as they are coded by CSJ, they don't follow our usual setup which makes them a lot harder to modify (if you've ever tried to edit someone else's code you'd know if can be a lot like reading a foreign language). As we don't have any dedicated coders this make the job even more difficult when we could focus on other things that we are able to modify easily.

I've got grenades on my chest. could you guys make them dissapear if I don't have got any grenades in my gear?

While the suggested feature of removing them with a fired event handler could work, it doesn't take into account the actual amount of grenades a player could be carrying, so it could end up being a lot more trouble than its worth for one very small detail on a model thats only noticeable close up. So I doubt this is a feature we'd spend much time developing as it could open up a whole can of worms, or rather big ugly bugs ;)

I'm wondering this as well. It'd be good to have the B-17 working more like conventional bombing planes in the game

I did briefly experiment with this but its not how the B-17 actually operated, once bombs started dropping, the entire load is dropped, not single bombs as with the other planes. Also giving those pilots such a well loaded bomber would really unbalance the game so I think we'll probably stick with the current 1 round of ammo for the full bomb load for the time being.

Is anyone else having an issue where gunners won't engage if you're physically in the vehicle? IE: I'm driving or gunning in an M3 halftrack, and the rear gunner will never engage unless I physically dismount. Most of the time the main gunner will engage in any tank or vehicle, but never the secondary turrets, IE rear guns, hull guns, commanders, etc.

You need to tell the gunner to engage as by default they're set to not fire, I think its shift+LMB (or it might be control) to give the command to fire (I forget and don't have the game open to check right now). The other problem is ArmA2 isn't designed to have multiple gun turrets like that hence some won't engage as the AI doesn't realise its able to fire from its position. We'll do our best to make most things engage but sometimes we are limited by what the engine is actually capable of.

Few things would be great to get fixed.

*Suspensions on all vehicles

*Crosshair fixes on all the planes

And can you guys make that flying c47 a bit more destructable that thing has to take so many hits before it goes down no matter where you shoot, when chasing it down.. same for the p51d

Vehicles should all have suspension so you will need to explain exactly what you mean here and which are affected. The planes inbuilt crosshairs are harder to deal with, due to the cockpit view moving with movement they won't always be accurate, some do need tweaking such as the Bf109G but thats actually the pilot viewpoint proxy not the crosshair position thats off. Damage wise I've seen the non Few planes taken down very easily, but yeah the transport planes do need some tweaking still but that requires a bit of time and feedback from players to perfect.

hat's how it is for ALL vehicles. Hit a Tiger with a javelin/Hellfire/Maverick or two, then some SMAW, get in and drive off like nothing happened. Also, Panzershreck to an M1 blows it up instantly.

Of course our units don't work vs modern units, they haven't and won't be designed to be used in conjunction with them. Its not our intention to produce a time travelling mod so we won't be looking into making them so. With regards to the M1, what M1 are you talking about? The designation is used for serveral vehicles and weapons in the US armoury, but then the Panzershreck was also very powerful so its probably pretty accurate.

I know they're balanced differently, but what if I want to send a company of marines back in time with a complement of 3 M1s? They get wiped out by a platoon of WW2 era Germans and a Tiger...

Then perhaps you should start work on a mod to deal with that type of situation, its not something that is a priority for us while developing a realistic WW2 mod sorry!

ye the tanks are insane, 3 rounds to the back of it should be K.O.

This completely depends on the rounds you're firing, from what weapon you're firing, and the tank you're trying to blow up. ArmA2's damage system isn't that complex and we're still working on our own penetration/damage system for them so hopefully it should be more realistic with future releases.

the spitfire and the hurricane seem to be fine you can even shoot the wings of in mid air. But try that on the german planes or p51d and c47 doesn't seem to work. Takes all your ammo to get the them smoking wonder how much it would need to actually take it down?

The Few planes weren't coded by us rather by CSJ hence the wings flying off etc not being present on our air units. We are looking at improving the aircraft in the future but the ground forces have definitely greater priority for us as we are not a flight sim mod, and by deault the aircraft system in ArmA2 is very limited without extensive scripting such as that done by CSJ for the Few units, and without a dedicated coder for it, we just don't have the manpower to dedicate anything to it for a little while yet.

A question: Will the Brits use voices from BAF?

And while im at it: are you guys making a German voicepack?

Its undecided yet as I don't think anyone on the team actually has BAF so we're only played briefly with the BAF Lite voice pack. We are looking at producing our own language sets for troops but its an awful lot of work, we had hoped to include something for the Germans in 2.5 but rather than hold the release back for it we decided we'd patch it in later, it was going to be a surprise but well so many people have asked about it or complained about the russian voices I though it was worth addressing. So yes one day the germans will speak german on the ingame radio.

Very good looking UK units.

Would be great if ther could be a Scottish unit to, with a Tam or Glen Garry

We're actually looking at doing them as commonwealth units so we can easily apply a range of insignia for localised troops, such as Canadians. Which groups exactly is still in the planning phases, and we'll release more information as and when we have it to give ;)

Phew! Hopefully firefox won't eat all that this time. Keep an eye out for more news soon, for now go and enjoying that rude tea slurping video a few times! Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming, and don't forget to report issues (in as much detail as possible please) via our Dev Heaven site

Sure but rather national preference, I prefer historical accuracy - credible sources suggest that more Commonwealth troops landed on D-Day than Americans.

83,115 Commonwealth (61,715 Brits + 21,400 Canucks) landed with 24,970 on Gold + 21,400 on Juno + 28,845 on Sword + 7900 airborne troops.

73,000 Americans landed with 23,250 on Utah + 34,250 on Omaha Beach + 15,500 airborne.

It may sound like detail, but its important to remember particularly when so many people's impressions these days are heavily influenced by Hollywood (US).

Edited by domokun

I commend ALL of the Invasion 1944 Team on such fine work. With that said I hope no offense is taken at my 2 questions.

1) What makes Invasion 1944 differant from other up and coming WW 2 mods?

2) And why not combine the hard work of other groups working on WW 2 mods to make n overall combined effort towars your mutual goals?

I know these questions sound like those of a youngster but I assure you at 63 I'm not feeling as spry as I use to. Still I enjoy your mod emmensily. And NO I wasn't in WW 2 ...... Viet Nam yes, WW 2 no.

Edited by ChiefRedCloud

I know these questions sound like those of a youngster but I assure you at 63 ...

I've found a great video on youtube that I believe uses the Invasion 44 units that recreates a scene from Saving Private Ryan here

, and IMO is one of the factors that sets this mod apart from the others. That being the level of detail coupled with the ability to do so many things in ArmA Also, even though Omaha is a small map, it seems as if the level of detail on terrain elevation sets it worlds apart from the 31st WWII Normandy map. And don't get me wrong, they have great stuff coming out also. But for what the mod guys at I44 have done thus far, it makes it a much more enjoyable mod than any other WWII game I've played. I don't know if this answered the question from just an observer that well.

And also ChiefRedCloud, thank you for still playing at 63 years old. Myself being 32 this year, I was able to point out to my wife that I, in fact, am not the only one playing ArmA outside of my teenage years, lol. BTW, thanks for serving our Country.

The mod need a good team vs team mission ASP. On the Normandy map... or if there is a new map coming?

they look nice, but I personally prefer US troops.

&

It may sound like detail, but its important to remember particularly when so many people's impressions these days are heavily influenced by Hollywood (US).

Heh well we have a few brits on the dev team which is why we are really looking forward to including these new units into the game :)

Well for one, our mod is out and playable, we've also got a number of features developed by the team (both in 2.5 and as WIP for future releases) to help provide a more authentic WW2 experience for the players. Our main priority is to maintain a consistantly high level of quality content for you to enjoy.

2) And why not combine the hard work of other groups working on WW 2 mods to make n overall combined effort towars your mutual goals?

Combining mods isn't as easy as it sounds, I know that there's some bad blood with 31st/FOW mod due to the unauthorised use of our work in some of their previous releases, and general animosity from their team towards us for pointing it out in the past. While the other ww2 mods in production function much as we do focusing on specific areas of the war rather than a large overview of the whole war. That allows the dev teams to really focus on the quality of their content rather than a dumbed down but overall large conflict covering the whole globe.

While yes it would be great to have a total war mod, it just isn't very feasible with mis-matching goals, different teams, and each teams attachment to their own content and methods of working.

We're also open to the idea of bringing more developers into the I44 team, but we generally won't out-source our content to others for use as it can result in the original authors going uncredited, as I44 has been a team effort for around 10 years, it'd be a real loss to see the content being produced under a different team/mod name.

In the end there will always be multiple mods for various games covering the same area's. We'll leave it up to players to decide which they enjoy most and just continue to work on those areas that interest us as a team. Its also nice for us to be able to play other mods we haven't had a hand in developing!

Haha, the way the officer kept sipping the mug with the canned sounds made the whole scene reminiscent of the anamatronic models of a commonwealth soldiers in ww2 display

Can't wait to use them to give the cold steel to the germans.. they don't like it up em!

The mod need a good team vs team mission ASP. On the Normandy map... or if there is a new map coming?

We'll be expanding our mission list with each release hopefully, and as more community missions are released some may make it into future patches. We've only got a very small mission team though and many of those (myself included) have a few other responsibilities in the mod so they can take a bit of time to develop. I know I'll be bugging Frizy and Faust to make a frontline style mission or two for Omaha next time I catch them ;)

Haha, the way the officer kept sipping the mug with the canned sounds made the whole scene reminiscent of the anamatronic models of a commonwealth soldiers in ww2 display

Can't wait to use them to give the cold steel to the germans.. they don't like it up em!

Heh we all know the British army runs on tea ;) and gah now I wanna make a Dad's Army scenario... anyone wanna make a Mr Mannering face for me? :D

I would love to see a domination version of the i44 mod.. the missions are great never the less but sometime people are just in need of some plane simple domination..

is their anyone who can convert the xeno domination with OA equipment to I44?? would be so awesome!!

this mod would be perfect if you had a bigger normandy based map like 20km by 20km ;)

this mod would be perfect if you had a bigger normandy based map like 20km by 20km ;)

I'd love to see the map expanded further inland and down the beach. T'would be epic. :D

I would love to see a domination version of the i44 mod.. the missions are great never the less but sometime people are just in need of some plane simple domination..

is their anyone who can convert the xeno domination with OA equipment to I44?? would be so awesome!!

I was working on it but hit a snag in getting them to spawn correctly. I started an Evolution and got it tested with the help on the 15th MEU guys. Once the script errors are corrected I will post a link and continue on Domination. If all goes well and I dont find any other problems I will have it out by Saturday or sunday night.

I was working on it but hit a snag in getting them to spawn correctly. I started an Evolution and got it tested with the help on the 15th MEU guys. Once the script errors are corrected I will post a link and continue on Domination. If all goes well and I dont find any other problems I will have it out by Saturday or sunday night.

Awesome would be great to have a working I44 domination. What version are from xeno are you using? Gl can't wait to test it out!

I can't seem to get the wounds system working, I have no mods loaded. I tried the wounds module and it seems as though Often I lay there shot with with no help coming? Maybe I a am doing something wrong?

:D Hehehe... Proto, that was great. Me and you in that sherman, 70+ kills before RTB XD Hahaha... (LCpl Flynn :P)

I can't seem to get the wounds system working, I have no mods loaded. I tried the wounds module and it seems as though Often I lay there shot with with no help coming? Maybe I a am doing something wrong?

The AI don't run up and give you aid if I recall correctly. It's mainly for use when playing co-op I believe, so your buddies can patch you up. -Shrugs- :o My best answer.

Whats with the huge amounts of smoke on the citizen soldiers mission town. Got my fps down. And also on the mission where you have to scout out the french coast with a few men and avoid detection, there seems to be Really, really white puffs of smoke or fog on the beach that feel out of place.

this mod would be perfect if you had a bigger normandy based map like 20km by 20km

The production of a map that large to a decent level of detail would be a huge undertaking if it was going to be anything more than copy and pasted environments (which really isn't something we'd like to do). Also people complain that missions such as D+1 have too much travel time so a map of that scale really would just worsen the problem of having to move huge distances to reach objectives. Its more likely you'll see small maps of much higher detail and historical accuracy, than large generic maps with the same buildings and features repeated over and over.

I'd love to see the map expanded further inland and down the beach. T'would be epic.

Jojimbo did have plans to extend Omaha a bit but unfortunately real life has currently got a firm grip on him so don't hold your breath sorry!

The wounding system is meant more for players than for AI, though saying that if you report yourself injured (5-4 on the radio) any medics in your squad should make an attempt at healing you. Also note the module will not affect AI (they won't get injured), the current system is very much a place holder which we hope to replace in the near future it unfortunately didn't make the 2.5 release but is in the works!

Whats with the huge amounts of smoke on the citizen soldiers mission town. Got my fps down. And also on the mission where you have to scout out the french coast with a few men and avoid detection, there seems to be Really, really white puffs of smoke or fog on the beach that feel out of place.

I'll have a word with Jman and see if we can tone it back some for the next release. With Tarbrush the fog you're seeing on the beach thats super white occurs when either searchlights or vehicle lights are pointed towards the beach, unfortunately ArmA2's lighting engine isn't the greatest so it can a appear very bright white at times. Originally there was a lot more clouds so it felt a lot thicker but the settings were causing some nasty script errors so I was forced to tone it back resulting in much more sporadic lumps of cloud instead of a constant mist. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about ArmA2's lighting system to improve it :(

Edited by PacUK

With Tarbrush the fog you're seeing on the beach thats super white occurs when either searchlights or vehicle lights are pointed towards the beach, unfortunately ArmA2's lighting engine isn't the greatest so it can a appear very bright white at times. Originally there was a lot more clouds so it felt a lot thicker but the settings were causing some nasty script errors so I was forced to tone it back resulting in much more sporadic lumps of cloud instead of a constant mist. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about ArmA2's lighting system to improve it :(

Those lumps really kill the mood. Why not use armas own bad weather effect or just remove them completely. I believe it would be better without them.