Sign in to follow this  
daveygary1979

daveygary's Rangers

So i decided to go ahead and create my own ranger units and as of today they are nearly done and done, some screens of tonights testing!!!

oh and if you notice the left arm you will see on my model (and all others, it just so happened i was using mine at the time) i have my squads xml on the pocket!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-43-55-06.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-40-34-50.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-40-14-46.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-43-55-06.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-43-37-95.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/DaveyGary/arma2oa2011-04-1400-41-51-75.jpg

i have no idea as to when this will go public as i am still early stages of beta testing!

they sure do look cool ingame and the shadows are GREAT!!!!

i havent seen anything like this before (thanks to johannes for the use of his russian soldier model from the arma 2 example model pack for the soldiers body, which may i add, i had to HEAVILY modify and the use of some of his work from the sf models particularly the pouches, saved me a whole bunch of time!!!)

i am hoping to get the final release out for testing asap!

Those look awesome. Great work for just an early beta. The headgear looks especially good.

man these guys look awesome !!! one question though to do come with a headgearless version ?

They look awesome daveygary1979, the headgear are very impressive....:yay::yay::yay:

Those are looking great! :)

How about some pictures without the dust? Would be nice to the see the rest of the gear and the multicam a bit clearer.

Really nice work on the units. With the NVG is there an animation for the units to fold them down and up? Liking the NVG ontop of the helmets, hope to see them have the option to fold up and down.

I don't know how I would animate the nvgs to come down when used, right now they are present even with nvgs enabled which looks a little parculiar but I can live with it until I find a solution (I don't play many night missions anyway lol). I will work on getting more screens on asap.

If you animate them via a script that includes addweapon, its possible. I rember some VBS1 addon that had that..

Awesome looking units. However, I did notice one of the units sporting a ranger scroll and I would just tell you that the Rangers do not wear their scrolls on mission, espcially a colored one. Just pointing that out to you. Great work.

Awesome looking units. However, I did notice one of the units sporting a ranger scroll and I would just tell you that the Rangers do not wear their scrolls on mission, espcially a colored one. Just pointing that out to you. Great work.

I believe the scroll is to demonstrate the function of the placing of the XML patches (Clan Patch) If I'm not mistaken.

yeah, that is the xml patch placement, the unit i am with is the 2nd ranger battalion therefore that is our squad xml. Thanks for the info though ( although the fact the rangers dont wear unit patches when on deployment was one of the things i managed to find out when i was researching the ranger uniform)

I don't believe any US SOF units as well as USSF wear patches at all including rank.

I don't believe any US SOF units as well as USSF wear patches at all including rank.

Not true:

USSF in Iraq:

001jb4aim0.jpg

Its unit/METT-TC dependent

Not true:

USSF in Iraq:

001jb4aim0.jpg

Its unit/METT-TC dependent

Yeah that sounds about right, I stand corrected.

the statement about them not wearing patches is correct. How ever they do wear their rank on their ACU tops, but on their vest's there's normally a patch put on the front of their plate carriers with their ODA symbol or w/e. When I was in Afghan, for a few month's 3rd group let us stay inside thier compound at Camp price, they never wore the SF patch. 3rd group would put a black patch on their arms that simply had a 3 and an x.

the statement about them not wearing patches is correct. How ever they do wear their rank on their ACU tops, but on their vest's there's normally a patch put on the front of their plate carriers with their ODA symbol or w/e. When I was in Afghan, for a few month's 3rd group let us stay inside thier compound at Camp price, they never wore the SF patch. 3rd group would put a black patch on their arms that simply had a 3 and an x.

Depends on what their mission is. You've got teams doing S&R and DA that have more liberty about what uniform and kit (like not wearing unit patches or kevlars [i hated wearing a kevlar . . .]). Then you got some teams doing FID, training up the Iraqi or Afghan military and police, or doing UW working with local afghan units and interacting with civvies. Those guys typically have to wear their much hated ACUs, Kevlars, and now have to shave their beards.

In my experience its usually a command decision, but you're right, most of those guys, Rangers, SF, SEALs, etc, don't wear patches if they can help it.

I feel like I've taken this thread off course a little, as I've never seen Rangers wear their scroll out in the field, even on exercises in CONUS. Although I have seen USSF wear theres every now and again ;)

i was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to alter how a model moves (arm positioning) to avoid clipping on mag pouches, the way the models move is as if they aren't carrying anything when obviously the model is laden with gear.

i was basically wondering if there was a way to make the models elbows not lie flush against the body when standing, walking etc and holding a weapon?

Really looking foreward to the release!

i was wondering if anyone knew if there was a way to alter how a model moves (arm positioning) to avoid clipping on mag pouches, the way the models move is as if they aren't carrying anything when obviously the model is laden with gear.

i was basically wondering if there was a way to make the models elbows not lie flush against the body when standing, walking etc and holding a weapon?

This is how ArmA 2/OA Animations are. There is ways to get the elbows the way you would like, but that i think would have to change all of ArmA 2/OA animations for all units, not to sure about that though. There is some people out there that understand this more, to point you in the right direction PM Big Dawg Ks. Knows some goods about animations.