Sign in to follow this  
wizbomb

Ar-15

If i recall 5.56mm brass is made to handle more pressure than .223, which decreases powder capacity. But then again 5.56mm usually can have more pressure by regulations (handloaders might use .223's larger powder capacity however) . But i don't think it's usually a problem... not that i'd recommend it to shoot 5.56 ammo from .203 as it can damage firearm (probably doesn't but it can do that).

This from my memory, i don't own either of them so i might be wrong.

Bit same as shooting 7.62x54 and 7.62x53 from barrel and chamber made for 7.62x53: 7.62x53 is .308 but 7.62x54 can be somewhere from .308 to .311, principally this can means problems but basically that is not big or even small problem. As long as i know only specially made ammo for Dragunov (you can't expect good group from SVT with standard 7.62x54! Tigr is different gun) can be real problem, but technically it shouldn't be 7.62x54 anymore. Case is longer and with bolt action rifle it can be hard to close bolt as case simply is too long.

Anyways back to 5.56.

From hunting magazines i've read that .223 (and 5.56) is one of toughest cartridge type to find well behaving ammo. Basically meaning that each cartridge type has to be shot in range for each individual rifle to see what group it shoots as variety is large, from very poor to very good. And finding well behaving ammo might not be easy thing. Don't recall what made it so demanding in case of .223, i think it's due various rifling which various rifles uses.

Edited by Second

Depend on what type of ammo you are buying, there is different loads and different bullet type to choose from, some match grade .223's are much more expensive then normal MIL spec 5.56, pay attention to load ratings, most MIL spec 5.56 are overpressure rated +P, which should normally be able to function in most AR's.

Bottom line is what runs through your gun, always remember to test it yourself. You can always buy a few different brand or type and test which fit your needs. Also check sites like AR15.COM for advise, there is always a few brand on the market that people will tell you to avoid.

Edited by 4 IN 1

.223 is the civilian version of 5.56 as is .308 with the 7.62x51, .223 should be cheaper unless you want tracer and or api rounds. .223 is 50 for $60 here in NZ will be alot cheaper in the US

As Second pointed out, there is a bit of difference between 5.56 and .223. .223 is not the 'civillian' version of 5.56

to be honest it will be easier to buy 1 box of each type and do a test which fires best for your rifle, im in the process with doing the same but with an m14 not a ar15 lol.

For AR-15's or parts for one, lemme see if I can dig up a good list.

Fella named Romanov did a rather large list of images going in detail some of the various parts for AR-15's and recommendations: http://www.mediafire.com/?dqhp963s82ki2lg

That'll lead to a pdf file of said images. (the original post he made is no longer up, I tried to find that first, unfortunately it fell off the edge of the internet.

There's some lists out there that kinda make a tier representation of different manufacturers, one here: http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd276/bdmoehri/ar20chart.jpg?1305156941

And here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/MarsMaxx/080613-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

You can probably find more just by searching, but most have the same results.

EDIT: if any of this was already posted, sorry for the repeats.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

You can own assault rifles in the USA?

At first I was surprised you were even asking this lol.

Bushmaster, Rock River, Stag, on and on there are good ones.