Sign in to follow this  
wizbomb

Ar-15

i am looking into buying an AR-15 but theres so many places i can get one and so many variants

i was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of AR's and could answer my questions like whats the top 5 best AR-15 Manufacturers and i have alot of others about customization too

thanks for any information :)

it really comes down to what you want your AR for

are you going to compete with it?

home defense?

plink/fun shoot?

if you dont plan on doing anything serious with it, i would say just get an inexpensive one. whats the point of getting some $2000 custom built, heavy barreled AR with a $2000 optic if you just are going to plink with it?

if its for plinking i would also suggest getting the .22LR replacement bolt. (unless you are better off financially) it lets you shoot more often at a lower price

i would suggest checking out one of your local gunshows, or www.gunbroker.com for general browsing and pricing

(i dont know what your local gun laws are, but in my home state its very easy to purchase at guns shows, plus you can find some killer deals, get some very good info, and make some links)

thanks for the info

i am going to use it for just fun shooting but i wouldn't mind getting a nice one (like $1500).

im not ganna put any fancy scopes, stocks, grips, or any thing like that, im just going with the plain jane M16 look

i plan to stay with 5.56 though

i did forget to answer your question about manufacturers. since like every gun company ever makes these things i dont know who makes "the best" one, and i am no enough on an AR15 connoisseur to know the details of each manufacturer.

my AR is a Rock River arms, and its very good quality (i got it for around $800, m4 type configuration), my buddy have a couple colts and they are good guns as well (one of them is like 25 years old)

so generally i dont think it matters what company its from, the "stock" rifles will probably be the same overall quality

i would suggest look around on gunbroker, scope out what you want, price it and then check out a gun show.

I bought the m4 type ar15 from bushmaster... I love it I think it was around 800usd. I bought the one that had no sights or handle. I bought a Eotech Holographic Sight.

a5.jpg

I agree that asking about "real-steel" firearms on a PC gaming site isn't usually your best option, especially when there are several forums devoted specifically to firearms like the AR-15. But, because this site is for a military simulation/game, there are quite a few military or ex-military personnel who do have enough knowledge in firearms to help answer your question.

Regarding the top 5 AR-15 style of manufacturers, that's all going to be up to personal opinion and the purpose of the individual firearm. Lately I have seen well over one hundred various companies selling their own versions of the AR-15 series, some of them are small "mom and pop" shops and others are well-known manufacturers that have been around for ages.

Where you buy from will also depend on where you live, as different companies are located in different countries and various import/export regulations and local firearms laws prohibit sales/ownership of certain models or features. So I'll list my top 5 suggestions based on manufacturers that should be available in most places and are capable of import/export to countries that permit such ownership.

1) Colt

2) Bushmaster

3) Armalite

4) Olympic Arms

5) LWRC (mostly carbine variants)

Generally, I'd suggest you register on the AR-15 forums if you're really interested, but feel free to PM me with any questions you might have as well.

Thanks ninja, i live in the US and those top three manufacturers you mentioned are the ones im looking at

and the reason i choose this form is because of the ex-military thing lol

One thing: Bushmaster is know for their customer support(or should I be more clear: the lack of?)

If I am able to buy an AR-15 I would go for Armalite, Olympic Arms or LWRC, KAC also is a choose, but price wise might be a little problem.

P.S. Guns, like many other big boys toys, are bottomless pit--you will keep throwing money into it, buying stuff to put on it, and before you are aware of that, your gun had already become a christmas tree(chance are, something with Magpul logo on it as well) :D

P.S.2 and a small tip for buying magazines for your AR:

Edited by 4 IN 1

Thanks ninja, i live in the US and those top three manufacturers you mentioned are the ones im looking at

and the reason i choose this form is because of the ex-military thing lol

Depending on which state you live, chances are there are few restrictions on which configuration you can use as long as it complies with BATF regs.

Before you even worry about the manufacturer, you should consider the primary purpose of the firearm. Different manufacturers will offer different styles (variants) or components that tend to favor one focus more than others. For example, LWRC will offer tactical carbines suited for LE patrol or specialized military application, and their prices will run higher than your average range rifle. They will also not provide components to build your own setup, unlike Bushmaster and Armalite.

Another thing to consider is if you are wanting to simply buy a ready-made rifle/carbine, or do you want to have it custom-built using personally-selected hardware? Honestly, buying directly from the manufacturer for a ready-made rifle is a bit pointless, as you can find them priced cheaper by dealers. The only time I ever suggest buying direct is because you plan to buy in "kit form" and have a gunsmith assemble it for you.

Being a gunsmith myself, I prefer to buy and build my own rifles, using components that I personally select. This means I get a firearm that has exactly the features that I want, has the appearance I want, and doesn't come with stuff I don't need. I prefer Bushmaster because they have a large selection of available items, and have never had any problems with their products or customer support. Armalite is also a great company, but compared to Bushmaster I feel that their selection of hardware for a custom build is a bit more limited. But for buying a ready-made rifle, you can't beat Colt.

As a last note, there are several other good companies out there making AR-15 style firearms that have proven to perform quite well. Both Barrett and H&K are even making similar firearms now, and there are even a couple of places offering "modular" systems capable of multi-caliber kits. Again, it all falls back to what the primary purpose of the firearm is going to be.

+1 for building one.

My brother has built a few, starting with a stripped lower. Hitting the local shows, he was generally able to put one together for $450 - $500 or so. There was a guy a few years ago selling A1 uppers for $180. They shot very accurately. I sorta liked the sights better than the A2.

I have one with a PWA lower and a regular A2 type upper. I paid $500 for it about eight years ago, from a friend with an FFL. For kicks we were shooting it with 40 grains varmint handloads, and the groups were nearly touching (iron sights even). It's strictly a "fun" shooter. Usually I consider anything made after 1900 "new fangled", being a budding Trapdoor collector myself.

I live in WI, so no local "weird" laws to worry about.

ZF-

too many manufacturers to choose from and to many variants and styles, but i aslos took a look at armarlite

too many manufacturers to choose from and to many variants and styles, but i aslos took a look at armarlite

I can probably suggest some options, if I knew more about what you're looking for.

What is the primary purpose of the firearm? Range use? Competition? Home Defense? Hunting?

What sort of budget are you limiting yourself at initially?

Are there any specific features you want/need? Left-hand shooter? RIS? Flat-top? Rifle or carbine? What caliber? Duracoat?

Which FFL are you going through to complete the purchase? Is he/she also a gunsmith? Are they an authorized dealer of any specific manufacturer to provide discounts?

I can probably suggest some options, if I knew more about what you're looking for.

What is the primary purpose of the firearm? Range use? Competition? Home Defense? Hunting?

What sort of budget are you limiting yourself at initially?

Are there any specific features you want/need? Left-hand shooter? RIS? Flat-top? Rifle or carbine? What caliber? Duracoat?

Which FFL are you going through to complete the purchase? Is he/she also a gunsmith? Are they an authorized dealer of any specific manufacturer to provide discounts?

1. i'm using the gun for fun shooting and a little target practice

2. i don't have an idea of that yet but it needs to be more than 1000 because i want to get a really nice one

3. well i'd like to get a rifle style with solid butt-stock and detachable carry-handle

4. at this point i know where i'm ganna have it shipped to but i don't know much about them

i can answer many more questions if you like

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

this is how i want it to look down to the even the grip

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/myweaponosp.jpg/

1. i'm using the gun for fun shooting and a little target practice

2. i don't have an idea of that yet but it needs to be more than 1000 because i want to get a really nice one

3. well i'd like to get a rifle style with solid butt-stock and detachable carry-handle

4. at this point i know where i'm ganna have it shipped to but i don't know much about them

i can answer many more questions if you like

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

this is how i want it to look down to the even the grip

http://img35.imageshack.us/i/myweaponosp.jpg/

Thats a standard USMC issued M16A4 with KAC handgurad you are looking for, like ninja2dan said, you cant beat Colt if you want a standard factory rifle like that if price is not a problem.

However if I am not a sharp shooting type of person I personaly would not go for full size M16 but instead get an M4 type with 16" BBR and retractable buttstock, gives it a bit more flexibility you know.

yep im almost 100% sure imma get a colt in A4 style

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 AM ----------

the colt MT6700 is a good option i think

You can own assault rifles in the USA?

As long as the state law allow you to, besides that all post-ban AR-15 lower only have semi-auto function, this is why a per-ban lower with auto function have quite a market there, even if it is made by crapy crapy NORINCRAP NORINCO.

Edited by 4 IN 1

You can own assault rifles in the USA?

its legal in the state i live in

i have a question... whats cheaper to shoot? 5.56 or .223

Not necessarily.

Rule of thumb is that 5.56 is loaded hotter than .223. Also, rifles chambered for 5.56 can shoot .223, but the other way around would be a bad idea.

.223 is the civilian version of 5.56 as is .308 with the 7.62x51, .223 should be cheaper unless you want tracer and or api rounds. .223 is 50 for $60 here in NZ will be alot cheaper in the US