Sign in to follow this  
madeineano

Grass and Foliage on a 6950 pixelly

Hi all.

I got a little problem with my grass textures.

My old ATI 4870x2 died at the weekend and I have replaced it with a ATI 6950,but now the grass and foliage textures have gone all pixelly at a medium to far distance.It becomes very noticeable while moving around.

See Screens:

http://img27.imageshack.us/i/arma2oa2011041317353592.jpg/

http://img707.imageshack.us/i/arma2oa2011041317353198.jpg/

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/arma2oa2011041217233915.jpg/

Ways I've tried to fix problem:

-Replaced drivers (4xxx series Drivers uninstalled and used Driver sweeper).

-Tested card on other games (all seems fine).

-Reinstalled Arma 2,Arrowhead,BAF,PMC.

-Patched with 1.59 (Interestingly before installing DLC and 1.59 patch I loaded up Arma2OA and the grass textures were fine).

-Changing in Game Settings don't seem to fix my problem.

-Spent a good few hours on web seeing if anybody else have had this problem.

-Deleted ArmA2OA.cfg to let it rebuild.

The only things I have changed is the card and the Drivers to Cause this Problem.The rest of Arma2 is all Fine just grass and foliage affected.

Thank you For your Time.

Specs

cpu: Q6600 @3.2 ghz

Mainboard: P5K-E Wi-fi

Ram: Geil Ultra @800mhz 4gb

Graphics: MSI 6950 2gb

Driver version 11.3

Edited by madeineano

I got the same bug with Atoc= 7 and the newest Ati-Drivers,.... Issue fixed by using ATI Driver 10.10.:)

Regards Culti

Since imageshack gives a "server not found" page when trying to zoom, all I can guess is that your system or driver doesn't agree with the alpha to coverage feature that is enabled with anti-aliasing. Put -AToC=0 in your shortcut param if nothing else helps.

Thank you Guys.

Putting ATOC=0 seems to of fixed it

The 10.10 drivers would not install properly for me unfortunately.They installed super fast,didn't ask for a restart and after a manual restart no CCC.I redownloaded them but the same.Don't know what's going on there.lol.

Hey, did you uninstalled all older ATI-Drivers first? If not try the CC-Cleaner :)

By deactivating the atoc feature the problem is solved, sure, but with the atoc feature the vegatation looks much better... :D

Regards

i had the same problem as you madeineano!But i had the last ati 11.3 and 11.4 driver. so i had to re-install the game and just patch with 1.57 + 7777 beta! so please let me know if older driver helps for you so i can install 1.59 again!

Now i'm back to ati 10.5 that always gave me like 7-10 fps more than all the newest drivers. But i did not try ati 10.5 + patch 1.59 to see if the problem is gone!

After reading the release notes for the 10.10 drivers,it turns out that my card is not supported until 11.1 drivers...... That mite be why they are not working for me? lol

I also tried 11.2 drivers as well but still the same.Didn't fancy the 11.1 drivers since they seem to be there first drivers to support the card.

Never mind at least I can still play with Atoc =0.Vegataion looks a little sharp around the edges but a lot looks better than it did.

Thanks again all.:thumbs-up:

regards.

Deano.

yeah, i have the same card, 10.10 drivers are apparently not supported. I have disabled ATOC completely and set AA to Low, looks much better now. Atoc=1-7 works for me with AA on very high though, but it's a huge draw on performance then.

madeineano My card is a 5970+5870! and i have the same problem as u!

Ah, I have this too with my Nvidia ENGTX285 so i think its caused by something BIS has changed!

Yeah HD 5870 here and I have the same problem. It looks a bit ugly, however the performance of the game is very good now! I will try to fix this sometime.

Got the same problem, same card -> 6950. Can you guys fix it? Or cant you and we have to live with it or to disable atoc for grass?

Well one person said they fixed it by using ATI Driver 10.10

I don't really want to install an old driver though. Maybe BIS will make a patch to fix it?

I have disabled ATOC for grass only and I am satisfied.

ATOC=0 with FSAA=2 still gave me this pixelated trees thing... It was only until i put ATOC=0 with FSAA=0 that it went away.

Logical Conclusion: FSAA is causing the bug not ATOC

I have a HD 6950

Got same with 5870 and 11.3 and 11.2 drivers.

Fixed using 10.10 drivers and seems to be better performance

Edited by EDcase

Got same with 5870 and 11.3 and 11.2 drivers.

Fixed using 10.10 drivers and seems to be better performance

Thanks for the info!

Did you uninstall your drivers first? Or just install the old ones on top?

Any chance this'll be fixed with the next patch ?

Same problem 5970 - yes the 10.10 drivers work, but the performance is poor in comparision (also the 11.5's are sweet for nearly every other game on my system :( ).

I have the same issue. I also have a 6950 and can't load 10.10 drivers.

-X

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

One thing I noticed is that if you use a setting of 8 for FSAA, it goes away. Also, the foliage looks a lot more full if you use 8.

Of course, a setting of 8 will likely bog your system if you run high resolutions.....

-X

Just an update - I tried messing with the ATI Catalyst AI settings, including performance (which gave some artifacts) and high quality. Tried every version of AA from super sampling, to Edge detect to, Morphological filtering. All of them produce the dreaded pixelization effects.

One thing I did notice is that the in game FSAA settings must also have a direct effect on the ATOC setting since it was obvious when you turned it off that the trees are much less full.

In the end, something in the last patch caused this issue. I assume it was Bohemia trying to optimize something.

Anyway, it is what it is. Here is to hoping they patch this optimization back out of the game again! :)

-X

Guttersnipe,

what is your setting for VideoMem in graphics setting menu ?

I also have a HD5970, using 11.6 drivers on Win7 64bit and never had this issue. Also, i do always use latest beta.

Looks like a fix is coming for the ugly textures with ATOC and FSAA enabled:

[77289] Improved: Vegetation rendering using AToC (require antialiasing enabled)

That was from the Beta patches.

-X

This thread came up in a google search.

This couldn't have been fixed in a patch because I have this problem with latest version. I have a 6970 card and latest 12.4 drivers on a fresh windows 7 install. If I enable anti aliasing to ANY degree in the game, I get horribly pixellated foliage (grass, trees, etc). If I disable AA, the pixellation is removed, but the game is awfully jaggy :\

Yes I realize this is an old thread, but I believe it's still relevant and I see no reason to start a new one.