Sign in to follow this  
Patchman123

rocket launcher bug in Operation Flashpoint

No no no, silly. That's a picture of a branch. You were talking about the stems. How thick does the stem have to be before it detonates a rocket? Now be careful, I said detonates, not fails to detonate like you just demonstrated. And remember, you're talking about hellfires but apparently the topic is about the arming distance for shoulder fired rockets... or maybe now you acquiesce that the arming distance issue was acknowledged and discussed and we've moved on from that topic. Earlier in the thread we were also talking about HE warheads and artillery, so maybe the discussion is broader than hellfires.

So, do tell, what thickness of stem detonates trips an impact fuze? Or maybe by your last post you're telling me that the difference between stems and branches is semantics ;)

Organize that in 2 sentences and Ill give you a awnser. It has to be readable.

Organize that in 2 sentences and Ill give you a awnser. It has to be readable.

If you can't read 5 sentences I wonder what you're doing on a forum. Oh, wait, I know. Trolling. I'm afraid that before this night is over you will be telling me not to use words longer than four letters because longer ones are unknown to you. It's a new thing for me to see someone avoiding questions by claiming that he can't read.

Edited by Max Power

If you can't read 5 sentences I wonder what you're doing on a forum. Oh, wait, I know. Trolling. I'm afraid that before this night is over you will be telling me not to use words longer than four letters because longer ones are unknown to you. It's a new thing for me to see someone avoiding questions by claiming that he can't read.

Its confusing, try to make it more readable.

Most modern impact fuzes are extremely sensitive, and yes, even simple, light branches, like the one pictured above will detonate them. Most do not even work on a mechanical fuze action, they rely on electrical sensors that detect shock (changes in acceleration) and initiate the fuze.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Infact, even the mechanical super quick fuzes are ultra sensitive.

From a 1961 issue of Field Artillery Magazine (the journal for the US Army's Field Artillery members):

Superquick fuzes are manufactured with the firing pin in the nose of the fuze (at the very point of the projectile). The instant the projectile makes contact with a solid object, the fuze is activated and the bursting explosive train is begun. Superquick affords the best action above the ground, as evidenced by the small crater which it leaves. The fuze is so sensitive that it should not be used in heavy rain or hail.

http://sill-www.army.mil/famag/1961/JUN_1961/JUN_1961_PAGES_31_40.pdf

Most modern impact fuzes are extremely sensitive, and yes, even simple, light branches, like the one pictured above will detonate them. Most do not even work on a mechanical fuze action, they rely on electrical sensors that detect shock (changes in acceleration) and initiate the fuze.

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Infact, even the mechanical super quick fuzes are ultra sensitive.

From a 1961 issue of Field Artillery Magazine (the journal for the US Army's Field Artillery members):

http://sill-www.army.mil/famag/1961/JUN_1961/JUN_1961_PAGES_31_40.pdf

What about a rpg-7

Everything I am finding from a google search shows that it has a inertia fuze placed behind the warhead assembly. These are usually very sensitive because they have to function the firing chain before the warhead disassembles/deforms under compression with the target surface (read, smashes the shaped charge, fuel, whatever to pieces).

I don't have hard numbers, but in my knowledge of fuzing systems I would say that it is very sensitive.

I think the heat RPG warheads have a crush cap that, when struck, causes two metal plates to touch, completing an electric circuit. If the metal plate is struck off angle, it can cause a short that duds the warhead.

As for pieces of wood detonating rounds, imagine this: You have a live warhead sitting on a table in front of you. You also have a super power that allows you to swing objects faster than sound. What is the smallest object you think should detonate a warhead if you swing it at 1000 kilometers per hour (in the case of an RPG), or mach 1.3 in the case of a hellfire missile? A baseball bat? A broom handle?

I think the heat RPG warheads have a crush cap that, when struck, causes two metal plates to touch, completing an electric circuit. If the metal plate is struck off angle, it can cause a short that duds the warhead.

As for pieces of wood detonating rounds, imagine this: You have a live warhead sitting on a table in front of you. You also have a super power that allows you to swing objects faster than sound. What is the smallest object you think should detonate a warhead if you swing it at 1000 kilometers per hour (in the case of an RPG), or mach 1.3 in the case of a hellfire missile? A baseball bat? A broom handle?

I believe most HEAT RPG warheads are actually the base inertia fuzes, since the main explosive train runs from behind the front of the warhead (because the shaped charge assembly).

Basically, as I understand it, a pin sits free floating after arm, held back by the inertia of the round traveling forward. When the round encounters an object the free floating pin continues to move forward and strikes the primer, initiating the firing chain. Simple, effective, no electronics, and usually has an inertia arming system as well.

If we read the US Army TRADOC regarding the RPG 7, we see on page 19:

The RPG Screen Countermeasure

The RPG Screen was first used in Vietname and was designed as a portable stand-off for tanks and APCs. But, in fact, the screen will electrically dud the grenade and prevent any detonation in approxinately 50 percent of the rounds fired into it. This happens because the nose fuse of the round can pass through the wire without striking it a wire strand, but the will bend the metal ogive on the warhead against the inner cone. This cone carries the firing signal from the nose fuse to the base detonator and shorts when the ogive touches the cone. When this happens, the round completely duds.

Italics, mine.

Possibly this fuse is only or one type of warhead, or has been phased out. It was published in November 1976 and seems to refer to the pg-7.

Edited by Max Power

@ doonbugie: RPG's explode on contact with anything they are very sensitive, why do you think you see the styker's with chicken wire around them.

@ doonbugie: RPG's explode on contact with anything they are very sensitive, why do you think you see the styker's with chicken wire around them.

I doubt that would protect against a dpg-7v though.

An armoured vehicle would have nothing to worry about from a thermobaric warhead.