Sign in to follow this  
Patchman123

rocket launcher bug in Operation Flashpoint

Why do rockets detonate when fired from a rocket launcher in OFP and Arma2 when the rocket is pointed on the ground directly in front of the user?

This is physically impossible because a rocket needs a certain distance to arm the warhead in the rocket to be able to detonate. This video illustrates my points. Already, grenades harmlessly bounce off the ground when fired in a position much like this one.

Realistically, this would not happen at all. This a bug I discovered that no else seems to have discovered in Bohemia Interactive games.

The rocket should not detonate when point at the ground like that.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/rpg3.htm

The force of the built-up gases throws the grenade out of the tube at approximately 384 feet per second (117 meters per second). The abrupt acceleration of the grenade leaving the launcher triggers a piezoelectric fuze that ignites the primer (pyro-retarding gunpowder mixture). This then ignites the squib of nitro, thereby activating the rocket propulsion system (sustainer motor) to carry the grenade the rest of its trajectory.

This happens at 11 meters distance. I am pointing at less than 5 meters. The rocket would just sink into the ground like this. No I do not enjoy killing myself here.

Edited by Patchman123

A wild guess but i could imagine that BIS thought that if a player tries this he deserved to get blown up. :D

Honestly, what's the matter? Don't fire the rocket on the ground, problem solved.

Myke;1896260']A wild guess but i could imagine that BIS thought that if a player tries this he deserved to get blown up. :D

Honestly' date=' what's the matter? Don't fire the rocket on the ground, problem solved.[/quote']

While this is true it is rather odd, since it does work as it should on grenades.

Myke;1896260']A wild guess but i could imagine that BIS thought that if a player tries this he deserved to get blown up. :D

Honestly' date=' what's the matter? Don't fire the rocket on the ground, problem solved.[/quote']

It matters because you should be able to shoot through foliage without putting your life in danger.

It matters because you should be able to shoot through foliage without putting your life in danger.

Or the times you think on the top of a roof that your rocket won't hit the building your shooting from when aiming down.

Or the times you think on the top of a roof that your rocket won't hit the building your shooting from when aiming down.

[YOUTUBE

][/YOUTUBE]

Watch this video.

fuseDistance is not parsed by shotRocket simulation type ammo objects, which is annoying for my awesome Dragon sim in ACE2 cause the rockets are capable of slamming into the ground infront of you sometimes if you are not careful... :p

use createvehicle with HEAT125 to simulate desired effect :P

five at once, if one isnt enought :-)

Patchman, most of those videos that you posted have anything to do with what you're talking about. The Eryx and Javelin are malfunctioning missiles and may not even have enough velocity to set off their fuses, or they may not be fused with explosives for training.

All of the light AT weapons you posted are blackblast accidents of one sort of or another.

The last is the only one that seems like it fits but I don't know if that was the rocket motor exploding or what it was.

if the rocket blows up cause it hit a bush:

1. why would you fire through a bush and

2. its just your bad luck that you hit a branch.

I don't think a rocket could detonate on a branch. If it doesn't happen in real life, it shouldn't in ArmA II.

if the rocket blows up cause it hit a bush:

1. why would you fire through a bush and

2. its just your bad luck that you hit a branch.

So an oak tree becomes a magical umbrella capable of deflecting all guided missiles, MLRS and FFARs?

So an oak tree becomes a magical umbrella capable of deflecting all guided missiles, MLRS and FFARs?

Perhaps you have heard of tree-bursts?

Perhaps you have heard of tree-bursts?

What is a tree burst and how does it deflect a missle.

What is a tree burst and how does it deflect a missle.

http://tinyurl.com/452tjh2

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/36division/archives/141/14169.htm

If ever the Germans and the forest seemed allied, it was never more noticeable than when enemy artillery shells burst in the tree-tops, spraying metal down on us like rain falling from an evil sky. Forever on the attack, we rarely had time enough to dig deep-foxholes and almost never the chance to cover them. A mere hole in the ground was no protection against shell fragments falling from above — we could only stay there and sweat it out. Even a little artillery was able to do a lot of damage in these woods. The destructiveness of one tree burst alone was equal to several shells exploding in open ground.

http://tinyurl.com/452tjh2

http://www.texasmilitaryforcesmuseum.org/36division/archives/141/14169.htm

If ever the Germans and the forest seemed allied, it was never more noticeable than when enemy artillery shells burst in the tree-tops, spraying metal down on us like rain falling from an evil sky. Forever on the attack, we rarely had time enough to dig deep-foxholes and almost never the chance to cover them. A mere hole in the ground was no protection against shell fragments falling from above — we could only stay there and sweat it out. Even a little artillery was able to do a lot of damage in these woods. The destructiveness of one tree burst alone was equal to several shells exploding in open ground.

Were not talking about entire trees though, we are talking about branches and the leaves deflecting missles.

Did you infer from the name 'tree-burst' that it takes an 'entire tree' to set off a contact fuse? What exactly is your idea here?

Did you infer from the name 'tree-burst' that it takes an 'entire tree' to set off a contact fuse? What exactly is your idea here?

I meant the stem, anyways stop derailing. This thread is about the rocket exploding infront of your feet.

How big of a stem are we talking here? What is your thickness cut off that you imagine is suddenly incapable of detonating a fuse?

How big of a stem are we talking here? What is your thickness cut off that you imagine is suddenly incapable of detonating a fuse?

osage-twig.jpg

That should not detonate a hellfire.

[imghttp://www.morgan.k12.il.us/jvsd117/herget/osage-twig.jpg[/img]

That should not detonate a hellfire.

No no no, silly. That's a picture of a branch. You were talking about the stems. How thick does the stem have to be before it detonates a rocket? Now be careful, I said detonates, not fails to detonate like you just demonstrated. And remember, you're talking about hellfires but apparently the topic is about the arming distance for shoulder fired rockets... or maybe now you acquiesce that the arming distance issue was acknowledged and discussed and we've moved on from that topic. Earlier in the thread we were also talking about HE warheads and artillery, so maybe the discussion is broader than hellfires.

So, do tell, what thickness of stem trips an impact fuze? Or maybe by your last post you're telling me that the difference between stems and branches is semantics ;)

Edited by Max Power