Sign in to follow this  
jedra

Mission testing with one CD Key

Hi,

I think I might suspect the answer to this question, but I am going to ask it anyway...

I am currently designing a couple of multiplayer missions and in the process I am trying to test them locally.

I have set up one of my PCs as a dedicated server and ideally would like to connect across the LAN with three or four other PCs. When I try and do this, all but one of the PCs gets kicked with 'CD Key in use'.

If I do this another way, and set up a hosted LAN game, all the PCs can connect OK (with the multiple copies warning message). I need to make sure my missions will work on a dedicated server though - as this is where they will ultimately be played.

Obviously I only own one copy of the game, (OA+BAF+PMC) at the moment. I am only trying to test my missions - I am not hosting huge LAN parties or anything like that (no chance that 'her indoors' would allow that anyway!).

I have searched and searched and cannot find a definitive answer to wether you can use one copy of the game to run on several clients against a dedicated server locally for testing purposes. I suspect this is not allowed as my search turned up some very shady sites.

Lastly in my search I saw references to something called 'the FADE' - this sounds very nasty and I wouldn't like to meet it. What is this and would my playing around today with the dedi server have put me in its radar?

I am not fishing for replies suggesting nefarious practices I could employ by the way. If I have to buy more copies of the game then fair enough...

You can only use one key per client, all others get kicked with known message.

FADE is part of the copy-protection, you really don't want to meet it.

The easiest thing would be to ask a squad to test the mission on their servers. Purchasing additional licences just for testing your missions is a bit overkill I think, except you're Bill Gates and money doesn't matter. :)

Ok mate, thanks for that - thought so!

Unfortunately I am a few bob behind Mr Gates so it looks like I might be doing some live testing instead!

Disconnect your LAN from the internet. Then you are able to set up multiple connections to your dedicated server with one CD key. FADE will be activated though, but that shouldn't concern you if you just want to test MP behavior of your mission.

BTW, and for you to have a slight imagination of FADE, I think this is one of its effects:

Edited by Bon

Just as an aside because it's not what you asked, but might be relevant...

You are allowed to use the same key on a dedicated server as on any one client.

Why not ask the community for help testing the mission?

Thanks for the responses. I have been testing my missions on multiple machines, figuring that would be ok - looks like it is not. Looks like I should be OK to test a dedi/one client setup, but this doesn't allow me to test multiple connects and JIPs very well. It's weird - I write client/server software for a living and this license is stricter than a lot of the software I have that costs thousands!! Even Adobe lets you have 2 client connects to it's server software in dev mode!!

@Tankbuster - yes I will offer the missions to the community to test but there is a stage before this that my professional pride will not allow me to give out something that does not a least work a little bit!

My current mission is made up of two sides of two teams each, with each team having several groups. Each team have their own objectives. It can be played as PvP or Co-oP (with the AI taking over where necessary). I am using it as mainly a learning excercise but it might actually be fun for someone to play. It's proving a bugger to test though - even at this early stage - for example, if one team completes a particular objective then the other team automatically fail one (or more) of theirs. Also, completing an objective in some cases will update the objective for the other friendly team to be something slightly different.

Although I have been a professional programmer for over 20 years, I am finding some of the the more complex scripting an uphill struggle - I haven't done much 'c' and only enough javascript to get me by and some of the shorthand style of coding in Arma 2 is very similar to these. The community here is as always being a great help though.

Lastly - should I have inadvertantly triggered Fade, how would I know for certain, and is there anything I can do to redeem myself?

I start a dedicated on my pc and then I start arma2 on the same and join the dedicated. That way I can easilly and locally test my MP mission in a dedicated environment.

I also have a laptop that I installed arma2 on as I travel alot (armaholic I am). I could install the same game to save some money but I bought an extra so I could have a better MP test environment as I now also can join throught my laptop. So with 2 games I have a dedicated environment with 2 players, this way I can test everything I need before I upload it to my MP clan.

So: With 1 game, start a local dedicated and join that to try your mission. If you invest in another one you can test anything you need.

Yeah - I might have to buy another copy. I can't run the client on the machine that is currently the dedi server as it's a server and the graphics card in it is only good enough for emergencies when I can't connect remotely - it doesn't even have a monitor, keyboard or mouse attached unless I need them! I could just run the server on one of the other clients though, so that gives me an extra connection.

The good thing with running a dedicated on your game computer is that you dont have to shuffle missions and all that around on the network. Imho its a more simple faster way to function test.

And yes, one more copy helps alot.

@Tankbuster - yes I will offer the missions to the community to test but there is a stage before this that my professional pride will not allow me to give out something that does not a least work a little bit!

I know what you mean. Most of my development is done in away from the community with a small team of guys.

I do this for the same reason you do - I want it pretty much ready to go by the time it breaks cover but also, development takes me such a long time as being a parent and full time work takes up most of my time.

It's weird - I write client/server software for a living and this license is stricter than a lot of the software I have that costs thousands!!

Now guess why they do cost thousands. ;)

I would guess that those software already calculated multiple clients into it's price.

That said, i guess it's still cheaper to get multiple licences for ArmA 2 as it surely wont cost you "thousands".

Myke;1896334']Now guess why they do cost thousands. ;)

I would guess that those software already calculated multiple clients into it's price.

That said' date=' i guess it's still cheaper to get multiple licences for ArmA 2 as it surely wont cost you "thousands".[/quote']

Fair enough! Anyway, just bought another copy!

@Tankbuster - yeah I have 3.5 year old twin girls and a business to run - all at the same time. I'm a tired man!