Sign in to follow this  
cartier90

Has OFP/ARMA put you off the Army ?

I don't thinks Voids point of view should be taken too heart. If you were brought up in such a militaristic society with the history, tensions and threats that Israel has. Anything other than an army based view on life would be downright strange.

I decided I was going to join the army, and then subsequently found arma2 videos on youtube and my interest in joining got me to buy arma2.

I'm currently a poolee (in the Delayed Entry Program) in the Marine Corps right now. My interest in Arma came from my military interest, not the other way around. At the end of the day, Arma is still a game, albeit realistic, it can only offer so much. What is true in Arma isn't going to help you in combat.

Sorry - I didnt want to point it directly at Inkompetent, lest it be judged personal and get be banned and slammed.

So, Ill just leave it anonymous.

I have more or less always liked the military, but I bought OFP because it was a action game. Totally forgot about it during service etc. Only got Arma 2 because I had a new computer and it was the successor to OFP.

Some times I think about re enlisting, but I am not sure I will.

However my time in the army was really cool.

In a way it was like a game. My unit only took in people that where interested in international operations, we had allot of new gear including brand new CV90s, the command structure wasnt harsh, we had large tents with modern fuel heating systems, we where prioritized for combat training (ammo, fuel, etc), but we still used more cold war like tactics, aka fun when its not reality.

Think Call of Duty, you vs the world.

Well, our scenario, they had videos and everything on big screens showing unit movement etc, total bs, was like the 300 of us would fight about 3000 Russians with Hinds, T72, BMD1 airborne assault troops ,BMP2 etc until the rest of NATO showed up.... Yeah right. I remember when I watched this I could only think about

(timestamp dosent work, click then press F5). LOL.

Didnt really view it as "discipline" or getting told what to do really. Yes, those things happens and are part of the army, but at the same time there was just as much disregarding of rules. The main point was always to get the job done. Safety was always taken seriously, well as serious as stormtroopers can take it, but apart from that I have done my bit of crazy stuff. Riding Russian style on Leo1 with my squad, being a Mg3 gunner in a cover team with 7 other Mg3 gunners being told to empty a house ala Aliens 2 style(FYI its a Mg3 inside).

There where shitty times as well of course. Like freezing my ass off in a hole at -30 watching the forest grow. Almost getting decapitated by a tank, almost getting run over by a tank, almost breaking my leg several times on "maneuvers". Almost getting my leg blown off, almost getting shot in the chest... etc... I did break my finger though. :)

As for motivation for doing national service I have always viewed the military to have 3 main goals.

1. Defend the nation.

(Democracy, the King, those anti military people that dont like you,but add a rational counter balance to a free system etc).

2. Support alliances that help to "see 1".

3. Steal resources for your nation.

I have no issues with ether and because of this I dont really see myself hating other nations soldiers ether, regardless of side. That said, I havent been in combat and I would probably not like the enemy that where trying to kill me, but hate is so much more I think.

I would probably be a good recruiter :D

I have no issues with ether and because of this I dont really see myself hating other nations soldiers ether, regardless of side. That said, I havent been in combat and I would probably not like the enemy that where trying to kill me, but hate is so much more I think.

I never had a personal problem with anyone who was trying to kill me or my guys; they were just doing what I would probably do in their place and I can't rightly take issue with someone trying to kill me when I'm standing there trying to kill them, mirite? I developed a healthy respect for the Pak-Afghan Taliban, disdain for the Mahdi Army, and disdain for the "Afghan-Arabs". I only had issues with the guys who did things they had no reason to do, like kidnapping and murdering people, bombing schools, hospitals and the like, and so on and so forth.

Timeout everyone..

This thread will be closed for a day or so.. when it reopens keep it civil or it will be closed permanently and holidays from the forum will be issued to offenders.

Thank you.