Sign in to follow this  
Imogen

New PC Gamer + Thinking of ArmA 2

Hi there I'm Imogen. I'm new to gaming and am thinking of getting ArmA 2 I was wondering if you could answer a few questions for me.

I know it is an older game but will I be able to run it on my PC I built it myself here are the specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Intel Core i7 950

ATI XFX HD 5870

12GB RAM

The only game I've played like it is maybe OFP: DR on the PS3 and I really liked it but it wasn't the best game. How long is ArmA 2s campaign?

Secondly could you list all the Games add-ons expansion etc for ARMA 2 not sure if I can find them all.

ARMA 2

ARMA 2: Reinforcements

ARMA II Operation Arrowhead

Any other game recommendations for me similar to ARMA 2.

Thanks you for taking the time to look at my question.

Imogen.

Hi Mate,

First off, your machine will be fine [should be able to run ARMA2 on high settings].

I believe if you buy ARMA2 and ARMA2: Reinforcements, then you will have all the currrent expansions and DLC's up to date. Therefore with that option, I don't think you need to buy ARMA2 OP Arrowhead as it is included in Reinforcements.

Edit: Reinforcements only includes a LITE version of Operation Arrowhead [low textures and no missions or campaigns from the expansion]. I would therfore recommend buying all the three Options above.

You can browse and find plenty of subjects about it on the forums.

Thanks

Frosty

Edited by Rough Knight

Thanks for replying so quickly and taking the time to edit your answer. Got the 3 games on order now. See you around the forum.

Yours,

Imogen :)

Your in for a great time! This game series is the best money I have ever spent, and hopefully it will be yours too.

Have a good one!

bobtom

I agree with the above, Arma2:CO+BAF/PMC is by far the best purchase I've made for this computer apart from the hardware.

And there are more missions/campaings out there than one would ever hope to have time to play :) Plus there's the multiplayer dimension that I for one haven't really discovered yet, but I know its there.

Good luck and have fun!

Sokka

Agree on that. Buying Arma was a great investment that brought me endless hours of joy.

What you should get

Arma 2 Combined Operations (CO), includes Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead (OA). If you patch your game up you will also get Britisch armed forces (BAF)lite and Private Military Company (PMC) lite. Lite means that you get the units and vehicels that are included in those DLCs so that you can play with them in the Editor, in user made Missions and in the Multiplayer. But be aware the Models are low Res. So they won´t look really pretty, but its ok. PMC (lite) also contains the PMC Campaign.

If you can´t get your Hands on Arma 2 Combined Operations, then simply buy Arma 2 and Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead. If you install OA after you installed Arma 2 they will turn into Combined Operations (CO).

If you wan´t to have the two DLCs BAF and PMC with the Missions and high Res modells, then simply buy Arma 2 Reinforcements and install that on top of CO or buy them on Sprocket as Download.

Once you get Arma, finish the turtorials and start playing remember this Sentence: Be Patient!

If you get killed constantly without even knowing what you did wrong sit back for a minute and think about it. When you try again be more patient and take a close look for enemys. Don´t run ahead like you would in some other shooters, stay with your Team!

Of course the Forum members will be more than happy to tell you good tactics if you encounter Problmes. Welcome to the Arma community.

Oh yeah, and read this, it will help

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_II_Hints_and_Tips#Introduction

Edited by Tonci87

Any other game recommendations for me similar to ARMA 2.

ArmA 2 is unique, no joke, there's not a single game outhere that offers what A2 is offering.

Welcome to the club mate!!

Hi Mate,

I don't think you need to buy ARMA2 OP Arrowhead as it is included in Reinforcements.

Frosty

FYI, ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead is only included in a bundle called ARMA 2: Combined Operations.

To Imogen:

ARMA 2: Reinforcements are a standalone expansion pack includes:

ARMA 2: British Armed Forces DLC and ARMA 2: Private Military Company DLC

What mean by standalone is you could install it without having the original expansion pack ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead (Which is also a Standalone Expansion Pack for ARMA 2)

Because if you purchase the 2 DLCs seperately, you would need to have ARMA 2: OA pre-installed before you install the 2 DLCs, whereas ARMA 2: RFT installs both without having a pre-installed ARMA 2: OA

ARMA 2 was the original game with USMC and Russian as the 2 main forces, ARMA 2: OA adds US Army and Takistan Army to the game with a Middle East Setting.

ARMA 2 and ARMA 2: OA can be combined together into 1 game called ARMA 2: Combined Operations (Mentioned earlier) which is easy by just installing both games into the same Directory e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\Arma 2\

So if you have all you install it in this order:

ARMA 2 (Patch it to 1.05 or above)

ARMA 2 OA

ARMA 2 BAF & PMC (Patch to 1.02 for BAF and 1.01 for PMC) [Or if you have ARMA 2: RFT]

Edited by avengerzx

ArmA 2 is unique, no joke, there's not a single game outhere that offers what A2 is offering.

Completely correct indeed :)

Guys, does Reinforcements update ArmA to the latest v1.59?

FYI, ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead is only included in a bundle called ARMA 2: Combined Operations.

Not true, Reinforcements includes most OA content - apart from the SP campaign and missions, that is. So you get all OA units, weapons, vehicles with high res textures.

So if you have all you install it in this order:

ARMA 2 (Patch it to 1.05 or above)

ARMA 2 OA

ARMA 2 BAF & PMC (Patch to 1.02 for BAF and 1.01 for PMC) [Or if you have ARMA 2: RFT]

No need to patch ArmA2 either, patching OA to 1.59 will patch ArmA2 to 1.09 automatically.

Edited by Flattermann

Will he need to install the 1.59 patch after everything else or will Reinforcements have that already?

Imogen, Hi and welcome. Its a pain to install and get everything up to date but its all worth it ;)

Will he need to install the 1.59 patch after everything else or will Reinforcements have that already?

Imogen, Hi and welcome. Its a pain to install and get everything up to date but its all worth it ;)

No clue. Could be a good idea to download it beforehand

Wow I didn't think I'd get so many replies thanks everyone.

I am now the proud owner of Arma 2 + OA & Reinforcements I managed to get all 3 for £32. I got Arma 2 from Steam & the other two games on disc from GAME which is a video game retailer here in the UK.

I had a quick play through of the first campaign I'm on the Razor Two mission, I've also just been playing about with the sniper rifle :D loving it.

My only gripe is that when I need to use OA and Reinforcements because I've installed from disc it asks me for the DVD :rolleyes: is there a way round this?

All 3 of my games are legal ^_^

cheers everyone I'll maybe see you online soon.

Kind Regards,

Imogen

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:38 PM ----------

12gb of ram. You do a lot of video editing or sound/music work?

Some video mostly animation :yay:

I do bits and bobs for websites too earns me some money as I am a "poor" student.

I dual boot OS X on this machine windows 7 is just for games and Blu-ray.

My imac now sits in the corner neglected. :(

Debating on either getting another 12GB as my motherboard can only support 24GB or another 5870 but it shall have to wait.

Sorry for not replying sooner I missed your comment.

Imogen x

If you use a girls name here, you'll get preferential service. :)

£32 for that is a good deal, though personally, I'd have gone for the sprocket digital version than steam.

Once you update to latest patch, it should stop asking you for DVD.

If you use a girls name here, you'll get preferential service. :)

£32 for that is a good deal, though personally, I'd have gone for the sprocket digital version than steam.

Once you update to latest patch, it should stop asking you for DVD.

Ah I see I am a member of the fairer sex though :p I could not think of a user name so I used my own.

The only reason I'm using steam is I got a bunch of free games with my i7 chip thing.

Thanks for letting me now about the patch...I've looked but can't seem to download it what do I do?

As you'll see I'm pretty ignorant of these things I've just came over from the PS3 which does everything for me.

take care

Imogen :bounce3:

if your going to play it, patch it to 1.59, otherwise the ai will not be the same.

I still cannot believe how awesome it is when your engaged in a firefight, and all you can do is pop out and take quick pot hots here and there, because your getting suppressed by a machinegun behind a rock.

just awesome ^^

The link for the patch is stickied at the top of this forum.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=116862

I would suggest getting rid of the steam A2 and getting a DVD or sprocket version, steam is a pain in the arse to mod and you have to wait longer for the patches.

Then you can use tools like ArmA II Game Launcher orArmA II Launcher to start the game and choose what mods you want running quite easily.

As only my Arma 2 was bought from Steam I managed to update OA and RE via the download on the website. Seems to have updated everything including Arma 2.

Thanks guys,

and tisk tisk on Steam :mad:

I suggest you not bother too much with the "single player" experience as it tends to put off a lot of people in the beginning. Try looking for a squad of folks playing together on dedicated server, and get into MP and u'll b hooked for life.

I would suggest getting rid of the steam A2 and getting a DVD or sprocket version, steam is a pain in the arse to mod and you have to wait longer for the patches.

Then you can use tools like ArmA II Game Launcher orArmA II Launcher to start the game and choose what mods you want running quite easily.

After all Steam is not that bad thing for Arma2 as it is usually portrayed.

You can already use Arma 2 Launcher etc with Steam version. So you don't have to get rid of it in anyway. It took 11 days extra for Steam to update the game. However, one could have updated the Steam version manually before that, just like _everyone else_ had to do. Steams automatic updating is actually a good feature for casual gamers.

Perhaps next time BI waits till the Steam version starts to update and then releases the manual patch download links? I guess pathological gamers would be against this...

Imo, A2 should have had a built-in mod/addon GUI Launcher from the start. Steam version or not. All this -mod @blaablaa is not practical when there are 10+ mods to load and puts off casual players ( which every game needs as much as possible to maintain a player base for pathological gamers ;-/ )

OK, Cool. You're patched.

Soul Assassin is right, don't get too involved in the single player, it's a bit dry. Multiplayer with a small group of friendly players is the way forward for new players.

I'd suggest a launcher too. Although they are mostly used for handling addons, (AKA mods) they are good to get used to from the off. Spirited Machine's is very popular, and rightly so.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1480904&postcount=1