Sign in to follow this  
Goos

UK Special Forces released. Ideas/Input/Descussion welcome

SWEET! I love them! :D

If i may add a small suggestion; maybe dirty them up atad.

Apart from that, they are bloody lovely, cant wait

Adding dirt and grime is the last stage in my workflow basically once all the units are done I'll add a final layer to the textures staining them with sand/mud and make them look like the hardened soldiers they are :D

good to hear you fixed the issue they look tops

It is possible to make models SAS as in film Bravo Two Zero in days of operation the Storm in desert 1991

It is possible to make models SAS as in film Bravo Two Zero in days of operation the Storm in desert 1991

They made a film of that? Anyway is it possible? yes. Is it possible for me? no. I physically don't know how to get custom modeled units into the game the toolset is overly complicated and the info to learn is lacking.

If someone is willing to collaborate I can make models to import into the toolset that would blow some minds but I'd need someone else to rig and get them in the game. That said I'm only really interested in modern day so doing kit from back in the 90's isn't really an option for me.

Hey Goos, any update on the pack? Any new pics to tease us with?

I've been distracted by other things recently so progress is a bit slow again but bare with me I'll get there eventually. The biggest chunk of the work is done.

They made a film of that? Anyway is it possible? yes. Is it possible for me? no. I physically don't know how to get custom modeled units into the game the toolset is overly complicated and the info to learn is lacking.

If someone is willing to collaborate I can make models to import into the toolset that would blow some minds but I'd need someone else to rig and get them in the game. That said I'm only really interested in modern day so doing kit from back in the 90's isn't really an option for me.

yeah they did make a film of it but it was very very bad indeed!!

Erm could you make units that do not look like american infantry.

Could they jsut wear woolly hats and large webbing on their front and very large rucksacks?

yeah they did make a film of it but it was very very bad indeed!!

I managed to find some clips of it. It did look pretty bad hehe.

Erm could you make units that do not look like american infantry.

There is only so much I can do with texture work alone but going by referance materials I have seen we use a fair bit of similar equipment to the US so it kind of pans out

Could they jsut wear woolly hats and large webbing on their front and very large rucksacks?

Believe me there is nothing I'd like more than to add more british alterations such as the typically worn watchcap (wooly hat) but again that's down to altering the models and I've covered that in previous posts however the bergen (large backpack) is going to be an option the Czech faction has them and I'll be retexturing them if possible.

Believe me there is nothing I'd like more than to add more british alterations such as the typically worn watchcap (wooly hat) but again that's down to altering the models and I've covered that in previous posts however the bergen (large backpack) is going to be an option the Czech faction has them and I'll be retexturing them if possible.

thats good news thanks

and sorry i did not use the military jargon last time i did time i kept getting asked what each separate item was (silly americans!!).....easier to spell it out

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

also can you use RobertHammer's m4 and m16 pack for the weapons (if possible) as these are truly great add ons and match the weapons used by the SAS and SBS. Thanks

JohnathanBateman, as Goos mentioned, UKSF are now using a lot of kit which is similar to US issued kit as well as privately purchased items, namely plate carriers and helmets, hence looking more like their US SOF counterparts, than the traditional '80s/'90s look of belt webbing, warmers hats and waz 'taches.

Goos, nice work so far. A couple of things that I've noticed;

Kneepads. The lads down at Poole (I'm assuming Hereford too) are using a newer set of Crye Precision Multicam trousers with built in kneepads. I appreciate you can't alter the models, but you can get around it to some extent by texturing areas such as the straps.

(Reference phot lifted from the web; http://mcpacman.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/imgp3263.jpg)

Patches. Plate carriers are toppers with velcro for attaching patches. A Union Jack or Blood Type patch here and there wouldn't be amiss. Allyness saves lives and all that.

Edited by Redders

thats good news thanks

and sorry i did not use the military jargon last time i did time i kept getting asked what each separate item was (silly americans!!).....easier to spell it out

Always better safe than sorry :p

also can you use RobertHammer's m4 and m16 pack for the weapons (if possible) as these are truly great add ons and match the weapons used by the SAS and SBS. Thanks

Glad you mentioned that actually I was thinking of adding a second optional config file to have the units carrying some of Robert Hammers weapons but more likely the HK 416/417's as I believe these are more favoured by special forces for their caliber options and relyability but again it is pretty easy to alter what a unit is carrying at the start of a mission in the editor (if anyone doesn't know how to do this I strongly urge them to find out how it's handy info)

@ Redders

Thanks for the info on the trousers I'll see what I can swing but if texturing over the knee pads looks too dodgy I'll need to abandon it. As for the ID patches yeah the SFSG guys are currently sporting some union jacks and I'll need to add them to the SAS/SBS assault guys but I don't know about the light units as these are geared towards behind enemy lines operations and I'm not entirely sure if they identify themselves in that role I keep getting the impression they typically don't. Granted they could be shot as spies then... Food for thought though.

*Edit* Of course it dawned on me they can be identified by their camo anyway. Yeah I'm a tit lol.

Edited by Goos

Redders: i know that they are using modern equipment but it would just have really nice to have the SAS in gear that they used in the first gulf war as that is how most people picture the SAS. it would also be good to recreate the Bravo Two Zero mission.

And just a quick question Goos would you ever consider re texturing the BAF add on to create a Royal Marine replacement with a green beret for the officers and a different badge along with the Royal Marines badge on the arm? Im not sure if this is possible but if it is it would be great!!

Cheers john

Redders: i know that they are using modern equipment but it would just have really nice to have the SAS in gear that they used in the first gulf war as that is how most people picture the SAS. it would also be good to recreate the Bravo Two Zero mission.

And just a quick question Goos would you ever consider re texturing the BAF add on to create a Royal Marine replacement with a green beret for the officers and a different badge along with the Royal Marines badge on the arm? Im not sure if this is possible but if it is it would be great!!

Cheers john

As I've said before the BAF DLC pack cannot be altered it is encrypted and untouchable by mod makers (apart from the Project reality team as they entered an agreement with BIS to use the BAF stuff) I'd give anything to get my hands on the BAF units and FIX their MTP camo but alas it is not to be.

I sympathise (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) that some like the older style SAS but I for one am a fan of modern equipment so I personally have no plans to aim for things from the past.

Edited by Goos

As I've said before the BAF DLC pack cannot be altered it is encrypted and untouchable by mod makers (apart from the Project reality team as they entered an agreement with BIS to use the BAF stuff) I'd give anything to get my hands on the BAF units and FIX their MTP camo but alas it is not to be.

I sympathise (pretty sure I spelled that wrong) that some like the older style SAS but I for one am a fan of modern equipment so I personally have no plans to aim for things from the past.

ok thanks for letting me know. Shame about the BIS people, were they not taught to share when they were younger? ;)

ok thanks for letting me know. Shame about the BIS people, were they not taught to share when they were younger? ;)

Well it comes down to the simple fact the BAF pack is something BIS is selling and if we have access to the content you'll get some cheapasses who'll just use it to convert the BAF lite which is in ArmA by default now so they don't need to buy the full BAF pack because it's soooo expensive... not. So it's understandable why they kept it locked up it's the same thing with the PMC pack.

Anyway I'll take the opportunity to give everyone an update as to where I am with this pack (and pop on a few screenies in a few minutes. Watch this post).

First of all I apologise for the length of time this has taken I've been all over the place with different things and the pack has taken longer than I had intended. As things stand right now there is simply assault units and light equipped units. The assault guys are done and ready to go I still need to dirty up the textures a bit but that won't take long and basically what will be available in that unit category are:

"Special Forces Support Group" These guys are available in the 4 camo types I've mentioned in previous info British DPM, MTP, A second MTP to match the BAF pack colour scheme and Desert DPM all with plain coloured helmets to match the uniform. (There will be 2 types of units with my MTP 1 geared for desert the other for woodland. The BIS style MTP will only be available for desert look as that's all it's good for)

"SAS/SBS (assault)" These units are very similar to the SFSG guys but they feature a mix of camos and helmet colours (no 2 units should look the same texture wise) and are available in 3 categories woodland Desert and Desert with BIS style MTP. The woodland Units will actually be using a mix of DPM and MTP I tried it out and liked how it looks so it's how I'm leaving it. The reason I mixed the Woodland camo is simply 1. I liked it and 2. If I didn't they would look exactly like the SFSG guys (apart from the different helmet colours). So if you want pure MTP or pure DPM (or pure any camo) just use the SFSG units they look the same and have the same unit names so you can pass them off as SAS or SBS no problem. (and vice versa if you really want)

SAS/SBS Assault Desert

SAS/SBS Assault Woodland

I'm right in the middle of creating the light equipped SAS/SBS units using the Czech units and German units for desert units. For woodland units I'll use some of the Czech and German units (the ones that don't look weird outside of a desert environment) as well as an unused and updated Force recon model that was buried in Operation Arrowhead which can utilise the updated features like backpacks. Again these guys will use a mix of camo and have the same categories as the assault SAS/SBS units and again no 2 units should look alike (texture wise)

Once I am done with the light units I will finalise the project by retexturing BIS backpacks for a woodland environment and in one or two cases to alter camo to match the British units.

The only thing I have remained indecided on is the inclusion of units wearing American camo for use in joint UK US operations. Chances are these units will make it in as I would like them to be there but it all comes down to once I have finished everything else can I be bothered.

Edited by Goos

Mark ur pic thats the yanks mate a think,we dont use the MK48.GOOs spot on matE.ur work is looking really good so far cant wait to see the reskined czech and german units.As for adding in the the us camo yes it is used alot mainly the US ACU and the Nato standard desert but it would say get what uve got finished realesed and make it a later update so every one including me lol isnt hounding u to realese ur work lol

Edited by Staff Sergeant Bush

Mark ur pic thats the yanks mate a think,we dont use the MK48.GOOs spot on matE.ur work is looking really good so far cant wait to see the reskined czech and german units.As for adding in the the us camo yes it is used alot mainly the US ACU and the Nato standard desert but it would say get what uve got finished realesed and make it a later update so every one including me lol isnt hounding u to realese ur work lol

If I'm realistic it REALLY wouldn't take much work for the US style camo guys I'd probably carve up the BIS Delta textures and maybe knock up a DCU texture for some mix and match. As you say IF I don't do them now I can and most likely would add them later in an update.

Goos is there any way to make the unit not have the headgear such as helmets hats so on with a config or something.I only ask for the guys that might want to use headgear from other addons.such as the bush hats from the SJB SAS pack,BB Merc packs and so on and so forth.

Goos is there any way to make the unit not have the headgear such as helmets hats so on with a config or something.I only ask for the guys that might want to use headgear from other addons.such as the bush hats from the SJB SAS pack,BB Merc packs and so on and so forth.

Short answer.. No sorry. Can't remove parts of models via config any way I have ever heard of. There is one delta guy without a helmet but that's it.

What you are suggesting is something I thought about early on I even tried making the textures of headgear completely transparent but it didn't work.(probably would have ended up with weird shadows on the head anyway doing that)

Edited by Goos

Thats quite a bummer :( But ah well. I so cant wait for ur release mate. Any updates?