Sign in to follow this  
Goos

UK Special Forces released. Ideas/Input/Descussion welcome

Goos is there any way to make the unit not have the headgear such as helmets hats so on with a config or something.I only ask for the guys that might want to use headgear from other addons.such as the bush hats from the SJB SAS pack,BB Merc packs and so on and so forth.

Unfortuately the only way to have new headgear would be to create new models, as Goos is only rexturing existing content in Arma2:OA that would be impossible.

also @Staff Sergeant Bush when Goos has some new information, he will probably post, no need to keep asking for status reports. Addon making is one of those things that takes time.

Especially when it's only manageable due to free time but hey I'm glad people are keen on what I'm doing and I thank you all for waiting patiently for me to pull the finger out and get it done.

The good news is the units are in a ready state and overall I'm happy with how they are shaping up. I'm still tweaking some things on them for complete satisfaction and I need to see what I can do about the backpacks I promised but I think it's probably safe to say you'll be seeing a release very soon. I'd wager within the next couple of weeks.

There is a chance the US camo units won't be in it but I will add them soon after in an update if that's the case.

hey a was trying to be a pest lol.good to here its almost done.about the backpacks the lens backpack addon has a temprate dpm bergen in it but no desert dpm or olive green dont know if thats something ud facny using or not

This has some good pics of the SAS in Iraq when they were part of "Task Force Knight, theres 100's of different camo options and they even used humvee's

http://www.eliteukforces.info/gallery/uksf-misc/22-SAS.php

The very site I drew much of my inspiration from ;)

Again I have been distracted with other things and I've been REALLY indecisive about my MTP camo and tried repeatedly redoing it including the use of actual swatches on the web but it never looks just right to me. That said though I'm nearly done and the next time you guys hear from me it will be about a release so expect that in the coming days.

the backpack system wont work on arma 2 models plus they need more than a reskin.yeah they are allright but not worth the time a think.but lets see what goos realeses first.hopefully soon

the backpack system wont work on arma 2 models plus they need more than a reskin.yeah they are allright but not worth the time a think.

What he said. They aint even arma 2 models those are arma 1 not worth the effort to be honest and more to the point I don't even know how to get arma 1 stuff working in arma 2.

Anyway! Final touches took longer than anticipated I've been tearing things out and throwing things in all over the place but I should have it ready for downloading either tonight or tomorrow at the latest for certain.

This bugger kept me busy for a bit.

Normal map for a british army sweater is more complex than it seemed hehe.

Edited by Goos

I am DONE! Had some last minute teething issues but pretty sure I've ironed everything out. I just need to make some screens, write out readme notes, compress it all and upload for distribution. I will edit this post with download details in a while once that is done.

*edit* Eyeballing the upload bar... the pbo itself is like 149meg so you get the idea have some images in the meantime lol.

Pic1

Pic2

Upload complete and here is the link enjoy!

***Download GoosUKSF***

Edited by Goos

hey cheers for the hard work and effort put into ur units goos.my genral feed back is i think the mtp camo has been over used just a tad in the sas/sbs patrol units.in the patrol units theres not 1 guy with straight desert dpm or for the woodland its only the marksman with sraight temperate dpm.me personaly i would have liked to of seen the mix up of the the brit and us camos in the patrol units as seen in some of ur old screenshots of the assault groups with some guys in just the 1 camo like the SFSG units are espially the guy with no headgear.this could all be planned in a update sometime i really dont know just thought id give some quick feed back.

bugs in some of the characters the clothing is renderd brown instead of camo from below the assault vests.

anyway all shut the fuck up now and thank you for youre time.

Edited by Staff Sergeant Bush

hey cheers for the hard work and effort put into ur units goos.my genral feed back is i think the mtp camo has been over used just a tad in the sas/sbs patrol units.in the patrol units theres not 1 guy with straight desert dpm or for the woodland its only the marksman with sraight temperate dpm.me personaly i would have liked to of seen the mix up of the the brit and us camos in the patrol units as seen in some of ur old screenshots of the assault groups with some guys in just the 1 camo like the SFSG units are espially the guy with no headgear.this could all be planned in a update sometime i really dont know just thought id give some quick feed back.

bugs in some of the characters the clothing is renderd brown instead of camo from below the assault vests.

anyway all shut the fuck up now and thank you for youre time.

Feedback is what helps it evolve so all is apreciated. The MTP is rather heavily used throughout the pack but the reason behind that is the reason that camo was made. Changes in the invironment. It is a multi terrain pattern :p

As for the brown on the shirts hanging bellow the body armour that is intentional those units are wearing UBACS (Under Body Armour Combat Shirt) The torso of these shirts is plain coloured only the arms, shoulders and neck are camo. Wouldn't be so bad if the BIS model didn't have such a huge thick shirt body but there you go.

The US camo units didn't make it in this release mainly because I wanted it out the door now I can take my time to add and alter. Also I origionally promised a BIS type MTP this and some other things were removed/altered to bring file size down I didn't like how close the addon was getting to 200 MB What comes next is the addition and use of US camos and any other suggestions I take on board.

Edited by Goos

I've just seen new pictures on armaholic, looks great!!! downloading :)

I really like these units, lots of detail was clearly put into them. if you are planning on releasing any updated versions, a few suggestions would be firstly to release the mixed UK/US camo versions, because as it is, the units lack variety in my opinion.

Secondly, it would be pretty cool for ACE users to have units set up with predefined ACE weapons and equipment, because I know a lot of people use ACE, and that would allow a lot more variety in weapons and equipment.

Thirdly, it seems like in previous posts that you were opposed to using the arma 2 force recon models because they don't work with backpacks. perhaps if you were to rig up something like this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14823, and include it, they would be able to and this would give you a lot more variety in models, which is especially lacking in the woodland troops.

Finally, I would just mix it up a bit more. the units are all very well textured, but a lot of them look nearly identical. for instance, all their body armor is the same color, on the desert patrol units all the baseball caps are tan and have no logos, stuff like that would allow you to add some more distinction between units, even if you just changed the colors a bit.

like I said, I really liked your units, just had some food for thought I figured I'd throw out there. not criticism, just suggestions. thanks for making some nice units.

I really like these units, lots of detail was clearly put into them. if you are planning on releasing any updated versions, a few suggestions would be firstly to release the mixed UK/US camo versions, because as it is, the units lack variety in my opinion.

I will be updating and US camo is first on my list.

Secondly, it would be pretty cool for ACE users to have units set up with predefined ACE weapons and equipment, because I know a lot of people use ACE, and that would allow a lot more variety in weapons and equipment.

To be honest anyone can set them up with any weapons/backpack they choose in the editor anyway. I don't use ACE personally and really don't fancy downloading a monster file just to decide what should go on who. That said I'm contemplating doing an update with an optional config for use with Robert Hammers weapons and I think ACE uses some of his with the same class names (not sure)

Thirdly, it seems like in previous posts that you were opposed to using the arma 2 force recon models because they don't work with backpacks. perhaps if you were to rig up something like this http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14823, and include it, they would be able to and this would give you a lot more variety in models, which is especially lacking in the woodland troops.

The force Recon question is a double edged one and something I've considered deeply. They would open up more model variation that much is certain the but however is then that instantly makes the addon only useable by people with combined ops on top of that the link you provided is a config that allows FR units to have backpacks but you cannot see them wear those packs. I can do the same thing in my config file but the FR models are broke up with permanent no backpack on the unit or perminent backpack on the unit and that disrupts the players choice of appearance and starts getting messy for me workflow wise.

There is an alternative and I MAY consider it at some point. I make an ArmA 2 (Non OA) addon that can blend with this addon and include an optional config file for use with the OA backpack system.

Finally, I would just mix it up a bit more. the units are all very well textured, but a lot of them look nearly identical. for instance, all their body armor is the same color, on the desert patrol units all the baseball caps are tan and have no logos, stuff like that would allow you to add some more distinction between units, even if you just changed the colors a bit.

This is true the problem I face is the more variation I add the more complex things get and the more textures required and file size skyrockets. I've been fighting to keep filesize as reasonable as possible but in the end once the US camo units are in and I'm happy with everything I might bite the bullet and go mad with textures. It's something I will definatly keep in mind.

like I said, I really liked your units, just had some food for thought I figured I'd throw out there. not criticism, just suggestions. thanks for making some nice units.

Hell criticism is just as useful as suggestions in some cases :D

All points you have made I will definatly take on board as well as anyone else who cares to make any suggestions. I'm kinda looking at this first release as a trial run and the comments that will come such as yours will help me mold the addon to something I hope everyone will enjoy. I can't promise I'll please everyone it would be mad to try but I'll try and find some ballance. That said I don't want to spend too much time evolving this addon or I'll go mad but we'll see.

Edited by Goos

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, file size isn't an problem if the units are decent. I mean, most decent unit packs area at least 100-150mb if not more, and hell, ace and Project RACS in their full forms are like 1.5 gb each. If it means better units, go with a bigger file size. I know I would download it.

Edited by crimsontide

Hey Goos, great work! And what a coincidence for me. This last week I was using your previous SAS pack to complete the BAF faction, for a script I was doing, and now you release an update! :yay:

An there's my question: You seem to be referring to this as your "first" release, but I had your first pack, and it was SAS, and it was for combined ops. So isn't this an update? Are there any more changes apart from the camo? And don't get that part wrong, camo change is great, specially since it's british camo now :p, but it's a little confusing for me at the moment. I far as I can see, Armaholic has already ditched the previous pack that I'm talking about, so this must be an update, right?

Will there be some units done in non us/uk camo at all? Not a request as such, just a question?

You seem to be referring to this as your "first" release, but I had your first pack, and it was SAS, and it was for combined ops. So isn't this an update? Are there any more changes apart from the camo? And don't get that part wrong, camo change is great, specially since it's british camo now :p, but it's a little confusing for me at the moment. I far as I can see, Armaholic has already ditched the previous pack that I'm talking about, so this must be an update, right?

The first few lines of my first post pretty much answered this where I mentioned the first pack and how this one became a whoal other beast. In essence this addon is more of an evolution of my first SAS pack as opposed to an update and the origional was physically branded as SAS only where this I'm exploring different sections of the British Special Forces. Textures are one improvement over the old pack this one also includes the light units without assault gear as well as the woodland backpacks and soon to be updated with some US camos and perhaps some other things.

Will there be some units done in non us/uk camo at all? Not a request as such, just a question?

Like flectarn or vegetato? Hmm doubtful I've yet to see a single pic of any UKSF using such camos and betwean the US and UK camo lists they have pretty much every environment covered anyway (which is probably why I've never seen it) it's a thought though.

I have so many thoughts and ideas floating about in my head of what I could add to this pack I may throw file size to the wind and end up with one very comprehensive pack but it all comes down to how much work I can be bothered putting into it. For example the US camo units are coming, I'm also exploring thoughts of undercover civilian clothed units, snow environment units and the infamous black clad breach teams. Another thing is I find myself doing personal packs for groups of people and I'm currently embarking on my second one of those so I'm kept busy hehe. Combine that with my personal life and the fact I'm doing this on my own.. well.. we'll see what happens. ;)

Edited by Goos