Sign in to follow this  
Goos

UK Special Forces released. Ideas/Input/Descussion welcome

Unfortunately mate, DID doesn't let you link through to images, post the ID of it instead so it's just a quick search away

Aye they don't seem to like linking but it's cool I scoped over the site anyway and the more I look at the images the more I'm satisfied with my MTP pattern in it's current state so cheers for the heads up anyway Smurfy. Again it aint 100% technically accurate but it's close enough to stand up to scrutiny.

I'm reworking my file structure at the moment and as a result doing a fair bit of texture repathing on the models so the addon is using as little disc space as possible also I'm reworking some textures but once I'm done with that and all the assault units are good to go I can move onto the light units and push for release. still a fair bit of work ahead of me but it's getting there.

I'm wondering if there is any point in including members of the SRR (Special Reconnaissance Regiment) as their primary role is reconnaissance, surveillance and intelligence. They aint so much a combat group which makes me wonder if I should include them for ArmA play and on top of that who knows how they should look there is very little known about them to give me any kind of guide lines. Sure I could specualate and use guess work but is there any point of them being in the game? evesdropping aint typically something that happens in ArmA.

I'd envision the SRR as both light units and civilian clothed for their operations.

Edited by Goos

yeah sorry for the long spell of silence I was planning to have new stuff to show by this point but I've been busy with other things and fell behind on the workload in this addon but I'll try and get on top of things and hopefully have enough done soon.

Something else that has dawned on me recently are backpacks. As I've mentioned before the backpack system that came with OA is something I'm a big fan of but I realised recently the packs available are all of a sand coloured variety so I'm thinking some tinkering with darker browns and greens are in order.

Of course the more things that keep sprouting up in my mind means the addon itself is growng larger and larger in size but one thing that is very important to me is as much variation and choice as possible. So an opinion I'd like to hear from everyone is how big a file are you willing to put up with? As of right now the addon is clocking up around 130MB and it is about to get bigger.

For quality British SF troops, file size is no object for me...........

The Size of the Addon does not matter to me, If the quality is good !

I look forward to the Relaise !

Keep up the good work !

Regards

(ST6)Predator

As of right now the addon is clocking up around 130MB and it is about to get bigger.

I wouldn't worry about the filesize Goos, just make the addon the way you want to make it. Is the 130mb the binarized filesize? Or just the size of the folder at the moment? As an example, my current project is weighing in at 844mb but once its binarized, any TGA's have been removed, and 7zip has worked magic compressing it will come right down :)

As an example, my current project is weighing in at 844mb but once its binarized, any TGA's have been removed, and 7zip has worked magic compressing it will come right down :)

Off Topic - Like the sound of hat Slalker!

On Topic - Goos, any new pictures to wet our appertites!

Is the 130mb the binarized filesize? Or just the size of the folder at the moment?

Only thing that aint binarized at the moment is the config file and that as you'll know is small in size.

It's basically the ammount of options I'm giving with the units that's causing it to grow so much in size I could have just thrown down 3 camo options and that would have probably been a 3rd of the size it is now but as far as I'm concerned the ammount of choice I'm aiming for is a good thing be it single camo assault clothing (I like the assault shirts what can I say :P ), mixed camo or the light clothed units which I've just made a start on. I don't know if anyone noticed from previous screens but the SFSG guys are wearing the assault shirts the BAF units do thanks to my tinkering with colour and normal map textures. Not amazing results but good enough.

As for some pics to keep you interested hmmm. try this on for size for now. Remember I mentioned there was a model of a force recon guy buried in OA well here he is in some DPM. Note the backpack system is in place and he's happily sporting a BAF backpack for demonstration purposes hurrah! Just wish to god he was wearing a watchcap >.> but I'll take what I can get.

Click me for pretty picture

Edited by Goos

Wow ! The Picture looks great !

Are there any more Pictures? If so, then bring Them on !! :D:D:D

Regards

(ST6)Predator

Edited by (ST6)Predator

nice addon you're working on, i don't read the whole thread but, did you try to make some unit with civilian clothes like the SJB SAS pack ?

nice addon you're working on, i don't read the whole thread but, did you try to make some unit with civilian clothes like the SJB SAS pack ?

I'm contemplating it and would like to do civilian clothed units but it depends on how far I go before I start getting sick of all the work :D

Here's another screenshot of some work so far on Czech units conversion (still a fair bit to alter but you get the idea)

Click me.

I'll likely be mixing camo on the light units.

Yep a mix of the Temperate DMP and Desert DPM would be real nice for example using the german gsg model that has the the shemag wrapped round the face in sand colour the temperate dpm smock,olive green armour then desert dpm combat trousers and desert boots but i can only hope you will like this idea and implent it in ur next realease lol but great work so far and looking forward to using ur units soon

Goos, for the temperate secret FR OA guy. Id give him a plain top instead of a DPM one, like an OD softshell.

Yep a mix of the Temperate DMP and Desert DPM would be real nice for example using the german gsg model that has the the shemag wrapped round the face in sand colour the temperate dpm smock,olive green armour then desert dpm combat trousers and desert boots but i can only hope you will like this idea and implent it in ur next realease lol but great work so far and looking forward to using ur units soon

The GSG models are definitely gonna be used as well. As for the specific camo combo you mentioned we'll see ;) I want to use the temperate DPM as little as possible on the arid units as the MTP is probably a more viable camo for that environment but it will make one or two appearances here and there for sure.

Goos, for the temperate secret FR OA guy. Id give him a plain top instead of a DPM one, like an OD softshell.

I've definitely been contemplating using some plain colours here and there (sparingly) to mix things up a bit more on both the temperate and the arid units. (his origional texture actually was a plain olive colour)

The textures in the screenshots of the light units so far are certainly not set in stone it's basically hastily done placeholders at the moment till I make definite descisions on which unit has what model/texture applied. Also at the moment I've slung the US camo units till I have the pure British camo units in place and then decide if I'll put them back in or not (I most likely will)

Just when things were looking good I've hit a rather nasty problem and I have no idea whats going on.

For some reason if I place the SFSG units and SAS/SBS (assault) units in a map one class uses the other class' normal map and I can't for the life of me figure out why. They both have their own normal maps for a very good reason namely the shoulder pockets on the SFSG units and with either the SFSG losing that normal map or the SAS/SBS units gaining it either way it all looks very wrong. If anyone has come across this before I could use some advice on how to deal with it. The only similarities betwean those units is they use the same "type" of model (in other words the Delta unit models were altered for the 2 different groups meaning seperate models for SFSG and seperate models for SAS/SBS the models for each group having completely different texture paths.)

Basically addon progress is on hold till I figure out what the heck is going on and find a way to fix it.

*update*

Tried everything I can think of and it's still doing it... I've even gone to the extent of splitting the SFSG and SAS/SBS units into entirely seperate PBO's and still it persists so after wasting an entire evening deleting all the models and physically repathing textures for everything on new models a SECOND TIME I'm giving up on it so it will have to be a bug in the release I simply cannot fix. God this engine is a nightmare to do anything with.

Edited by Goos

Just when things were looking good I've hit a rather nasty problem and I have no idea whats going on.

For some reason if I place the SFSG units and SAS/SBS (assault) units in a map one class uses the other class' normal map and I can't for the life of me figure out why. They both have their own normal maps for a very good reason namely the shoulder pockets on the SFSG units and with either the SFSG losing that normal map or the SAS/SBS units gaining it either way it all looks very wrong. If anyone has come across this before I could use some advice on how to deal with it. The only similarities betwean those units is they use the same "type" of model (in other words the Delta unit models were altered for the 2 different groups meaning seperate models for SFSG and seperate models for SAS/SBS the models for each group having completely different texture paths.)

Basically addon progress is on hold till I figure out what the heck is going on and find a way to fix it.

*update*

Tried everything I can think of and it's still doing it... I've even gone to the extent of splitting the SFSG and SAS/SBS units into entirely seperate PBO's and still it persists so after wasting an entire evening deleting all the models and physically repathing textures for everything on new models a SECOND TIME I'm giving up on it so it will have to be a bug in the release I simply cannot fix. God this engine is a nightmare to do anything with.

Sorry to hear this. Perhaps you could release one set of units and withhold the other one until you figure out what it's going on.

I believe I have tracked the problem down. Seems sharing rvmat files is a bad idea and confuses the engine. Always something simple you miss that throws everything off lol.

Anyway lesson learned and back to it.

Here's another screen of more progress on the light units note the vest and attached equipment is all changed accordingly and they are now featuring mixed camo.

Click me.

Edited by Goos

SWEET! I love them! :D

If i may add a small suggestion; maybe dirty them up atad.

Apart from that, they are bloody lovely, cant wait

they are looking good, especially for a reskin :)