Sign in to follow this  
bobocz

TOH South Asian terrain. Where is it?

We know that fist terrain in TOH will be around Seattle. So where is located second terrain? Bis told us that is in south asia. According to one definition south asia countrys are India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Maldives, Afghanistan, Iran and Sri Lanka. Another definition mention only states Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Does anyone recognise this terrain? (it's captured from bonus 1 video)

southasia.jpg

Where is this location? :confused:

Maybe near Chernarus or Takistan?

They could come up with a pretty good story if it were a South Asian island that gets hit by a tsunami. There you are just doing helicopter tours and some utility work and then everything changes into rescue missions, food delivery, etc.

The possibilities for exciting helicopter stories are endless. Almost :)

Generally speaking,South Asia means India,AF-Pak or somewhere around.

Where Chinook dropped water on nuke plant is in East Asia :D

I'm sure there are nuclear power plants in other parts of the world as well ;)

Maybe near Chernarus or Takistan?

We don't want to put any barriers of entry up for those not familiar with the Armaverse, so, generally, we're talking about 'South Asia' in pretty generic terms at the moment. Although, in truth, you should be thinking more south west Asian terrain.

That being said, for those that do know it, you can expect to return to a familiar (-although-entirely-new-part-of-the-) region. It's always interesting to see a conflict at a sightly different time or perspective.

Obviously, we'll communicate much more info about our environments when we're a little further along in development.

Best,

RiE

We don't want to put any barriers of entry up for those not familiar with the Armaverse, so, generally, we're talking about 'South Asia' in pretty generic terms at the moment. Although, in truth, you should be thinking more south west Asian terrain.

That being said, for those that do know it, you can expect to return to a familiar (-although-entirely-new-part-of-the-) region. It's always interesting to see a conflict at a sightly different time or perspective.

Obviously, we'll communicate much more info about our environments when we're a little further along in development.

Best,

RiE

Highlighted the bits I like.

Wow, thats interesting find. Here on TKOH facebook page , down the page, user Michael M. found real counterpart of south asia terrain. Here is his comparison. So that's probably mean that south Asia terrain is from California, Nevada Arizona :).

Picture from south Asia terrain shows lake Havasu and Parker dam. Here is link to google map http://g.co/maps/dd96q, north is swap with south.

That a little bit corresponding with article from czech magazine Geobusiness, which was posted on Armabulvar.cz. Geobusiness have interview with Miroslav Horváth about how BI makes map. And Miroslav said that they ordered satellite data for Takistan from Landinfo company and they warrant them that they will cover detail of the map. Soon Landinfo realize and connect BI with BiSim and they don't like it much and they have fears that data can help terrorists with training. So BI have to clear up it.

So that's interesting question, if someone from BI can answered it, if they choose map data from USA because of problem with permission with real for e.g. Afghanistan data? (of course if at all US data are model for south asia terrain :))

Edited by BoboCZ
added words "for Takistan"

Very interesting indeed Bobo

So the South Asian map is not Asian at all - it just another american :p

That a little bit corresponding with article from czech magazine Geobusiness, which was posted on Armabulvar.cz. Geobusiness have interview with Miroslav Horváth about how BI makes map. And Miroslav said that they ordered satellite data for Takistan from Landinfo company and they warrant them that they will cover detail of the map. Soon Landinfo realize and connect BI with BiSim and they don't like it much and they have fears that data can help terrorists with training. So BI have to clear up it.

That really is so lame of "Landinfo" to use "fears that data can help terrorists with training" :rolleyes:

That really is so lame of "Landinfo" to use "fears that data can help terrorists with training" :rolleyes:

That's terrorist ;), we all read EULA and know that we can't use Arma for training. So we better use COD :p.

LandInfo feared that their data will be use in game, that can be later use by terrorists. Army is probably their best costumer, so it's understandable.

That's terrorist ;), we all read EULA and know that we can't use Arma for training. So we better use COD :p.

LandInfo feared that their data will be use in game, that can be later use by terrorists. Army is probably their best costumer, so it's understandable.

It is lame, because I can go to the USGS website to get their NED data set, download 5m or 10m DEM, get lots of different vector maps inc <1m resolution aerial photo, there are portals at JPL/NASA for similar data, you can go to the Census Bureau and get there Tiger/line vector/tiff/point data for sewers, power, and other services, demographics, etc etc, then augment that with Google earth, street view, etc, if I then head to the ESA portal for ASTER project images and if I am lucky with data grains I could get one that will cover ware I want at <1m resolution to also make <1m DEM, there are a host of places I can get low resolution daily images for ground cover or to infer actual daily water high of streams etc all perfectly geo-referenced, and I can do all that and it will cost me $0 just some time and at most the creation of a login or use of my logon created prior to 2001.

I then fire up my 3D program to make buildings that I will need for the place I wish to plan my terrorist attack on US soil and I use all the GIS data I have with the BIS tools to assemble that in game, and hay presto Johnny Terrorist could plan an attack on any part of the USA largely without going there! If you went to the USGS a few years ago Iraqi and Afghanistan were also available at the same resolution as the NED and 30m and 90m SRTM for the world is easy to get warzone or not.

I just want an actual BIS made map thats of Althentic Afghanistan terrain...Not Pakistan, India, or any other place and specially not American terrain! It BS that "Terrorists will use it for training" as they have more ways to get and make better stuff if they needed! Unfutunitly Terrorists aint as stupid as we all would wish :(

I just want an actual BIS made map thats of Althentic Afghanistan terrain...Not Pakistan, India, or any other place and specially not American terrain! It BS that "Terrorists will use it for training" as they have more ways to get and make better stuff if they needed! Unfutunitly Terrorists aint as stupid as we all would wish :(

That was only speculation with "terrorist reason", I know nothing, maybe they like american terrain, it has more variety, I don't know. It was not confirmed that map is based on US data.

Story take place in "Armaversum", so its not real world, BI can bent world how they want. Probably south Asia terrain will be call Takistan, so its fictional state. Of course somebody will not be satisfied with this explanation, because BI also call game as simulator, but for me its just game. Next time I will not speculate :).

Edited by BoboCZ

Operative;2022297']

OCv7tQFOwK4

Does this say anything (not that good with english listening)?

why does this look so good? looks much better than arma2 OA quality. maybe its just the small size that blends things optically.

27 October is soon. looking forward to it.

Operative;2022297']

Does this say anything (not that good with english listening)?

I rarely create anything which is interesting ;)

The video hopefully communicates a couple of things.

• It shows a bit of our 'South Asia' (Karzeghistan' date=' Takistan, Ardistan) terrain first and foremost, showing military helicopters above it.
    [*']It also provides some background to the story element of the game, talking about the fictional operations that Joe Larkin (the player's brother) took part in.

I think you've (perhaps not intentionally) made a decent point, though, and I'll try to add English captions to the video when I get a chance. so I've added new captions, as the machine translated ones were redonkeydickulous. :)

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

I rarely create anything which is interesting ;)

The video hopefully communicates a couple of things.

• It shows a bit of our 'South Asia' (Karzeghistan, Takistan, Ardistan) terrain first and foremost, showing military helicopters above it.
  • It also provides some background to the story element of the game, talking about the fictional operations that Joe Larkin (the player's brother) took part in.

I think you've (perhaps not intentionally) made a decent point, though, and I'll try to add English captions to the video when I get a chance. so I've added new captions, as the machine translated ones were redonkeydickulous. :)

Best,

RiE

btw aren't these Karzeghistan and Ardistan supposed be in the OA?

because in the AAN news , they been saying about Karzeghistan all the time before OA :confused:

anyway they are nice in TOH :p

Edited by RobertHammer

because in the AAN news , they been saying about Karzeghistan all the time before OA :confused:

Take On operates within the rules of the Armaverse.

I used to have an internship at AAN (I left before it got hacked; it'd never have happened in my day) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they pick up on this news story. :cool:

Best,

RiE