krzychuzokecia

Karbala 2004 Mod - WIP thread

Karbala 2004 Mod

WIP thread

Hello everyone!

7 years ago, between 3rd and 6th April 2004, around 40 Polish and Bulgarian soldiers were fighting against unknown number of terrorists from Mahdi's Army. Our soldiers were defending the City Hall - most important government building in Karbala. They've succeeded without any losses. It is the biggest battle of Polish Army since WW2. Unfortunately, only few of the soldiers were awarded. By making this mod we're trying to give them more attention - they're worth of it.

To commemorate this anniversary we're proud to present our latest works:

Polski Kontyngent Wojskowy - Irak (version 0.75, 9th January 2011)

Soldiers from Polish Military Contingent - Iraq, latest version 0.75. Soldiers have various vests, helmets, hats and other equipment. Thanks to this fact, and hidden selections, we can have virtually hundreds of models in-game.

In near future they'll come with better textures of uniform and equipment, and later with more accurate models of vests.

Authors:

Miho - textures, models

Krzychuzokecia - models, textures, config

Vilas - textures

Bielow - models

Based on Sanctuary's WW4 Modder Resource Pack - thank you!

Screenshots:

9thjan20111.th.jpg 9thjan20112.th.jpg 5thapr20111.th.jpg

Bulgarian Forces Iraq (9th April 2011)

Weapons Pack (4th February 2012)

Thanks for patience ;)

Krzychuzokecia

Karbala 2004 Mod

Edited by krzychuzokecia

Looking forward to hearing more about this mod.

Unfortunately, I can't see the screenshots :(

I'm glad you guys have decided to finish what you have started:) The soldiers look really fine when I see the pictures.

The screenshots look great :)

May I inquire about the types of models & hidden selections

you are working on? I ask because I am looking for WW4 based

units that wear tactical vests & baseball caps or headsets that

can be used as PMCs or armed units in mixed civilian/military

clothing.

I'm also interested in if/how you are planning to use textures

& hidden selections to customize your units (arm patches?

custom equipment textures?).

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for the comments guys, it's nice to see such attention given to so few screenshots. ;)

TBH I'm not satisfied with the textures quality, but then again, 512x512 is reasonable maximum for OFP engine.

F00bar:

At the time being, all models came with Sanctuary's WW4 Modder Resource Pack. We have some other things (thanks to Bielow), but it's hard to attach them to models without distorting it. As far as I remember, unfortunately there isn't any baseball cap, but it won't be hard to make one using Sanc's bandanna.

About hidden selections - what you see on second picture was made from... one model. I'm working on some kind of script that will change the equipment randomly, because now all variants are in config. But first thing is to find out good photos of equipment used by Polish Army. I know about backpacks (I even have one at home ;) ), vests (but they're hard to model... But should come) and uniforms (question of changing the texture, but I can't make it nice...), but about pouches, magazine pockets (dunno how it's called in English), etc. - I know almost nothing. So you'll have to wait for them...

First post corrected, names of authors are written

Edited by krzychuzokecia

Good idea about converting the WW4 bandanna into a baseball cap.

It seems like a lot of modern equipment is very similar across the

forces of many nations - especially those in NATO, ISAF etc.

I don't know if you've seen the OFPL Polish GROM Units but they

are also impressive:

http://operationflashpoint.filefront.com/file/OFPL_Polish_GROM_Units;65968

I wasn't able to find many close-up photos of Polish equipment but

there are several videos on Youtube:

You could also take a look at some of the Polish units created

for Arma/ArmAII for inspiration. You won't be able to directly use the

models or textures in OFP but they might give you some

ideas about equipment & weapons:

Modern Polish Army and Police:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7035&highlight=POLISH

Polish Weapons Pack:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3935

Polish Special Forces (GROM):

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=695&highlight=POLISH

Polish Troops + TRG SAKO

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=664&highlight=POLISH

If you don't have ArmA/ArmAII & you want some reference screen shots

let me know :)

Edited by f00bar

Thanks F00bar but we know about that addons ;) Offtime's and Agent Smith's OFPL is one of the classic mods out here in Poland, and Vilas is the biggest donator for our mod, as you can see above. I've heard that AGS had some unreleased MLODs that he was likely to give, but he's for long time out from community.

And know for something that was shown yesterday on our site:

Bulgarian Forces Iraq

Early version of Bulgarian soldiers. They were lying on my HDD for quite a some time, but I wasn't satisfied with their quality. I've decided to show them to mark the 7th anniversary of the Battle for City Hall. Since Bulgarian army uses a lot of US equipment, they're more-less accurate, but they'll be modified to be even more accurate.

Authors:

At the time being, only me, model made using Sanctuary's WW4 Modder Resource Pack.

Screenshots:

9thapr20111.th.jpg 9thapr20112.th.jpg

For more detailed report see the WIP thread on our site

As far as I remember, unfortunately there isn't any baseball cap, but it won't be hard to make one using Sanc's bandanna.

I modelled a baseball cap with ww4 compliant lods if you want to use it :

http://www.mediafire.com/?hfyq2e2uce851u9

included is the p3d of the baseball cap, the wrinkle overlay as a texture (and the TGA version of it for your own edits)

http://www.mediafire.com/?hfyq2e2uce851u9

@krzychuzokecia: Is there any specific equipment you

need photos of? I'll see if I can do some research.

Glad to hear you are working with Vilas & using Sanctuary's

excellent & open WW4 resources for your project's models.

@Sanctuary: Thanks for taking the time to do this - I

really appreciate it :notworthy:

I'll try to do something worthwhile with them as soon as I

figure out a bit more about model editing & texture swapping

in O2 & TexView.

@F00bar

No thanks, at this moment I'm discovering it by myself, and it's my favourite part of addon-making ;) But maybe later, who knows?

@Sanctuary

Thank you very much! Maybe it won't be useful for regular soldiers of PKW-Irak, but similar caps are used by BOR - Government Protection Bureau. Maybe we'll make them in future?

@Miho

Thanks pal, good to have you back ;)

At the time being I've baccalaureate exams in school. They'll took whole May. So I don't have enough time for OFP, unfortunately. But in June I'll get myself together. I hope that when Miho is back, we'll finish everything faster ;)

Hello everyone!

Today it's 8th anniversary of Battle for City Hall - siege of government building in the city of Karbala, which was defended by Polish and Bulgarian soldiers as a part of international operation Iraqi Freedom. Outnumbered, and left without any supplies in the middle of rebellion, they won, without any casualties. Unfortunately this glorious episode is still unknown.

To mark this anniversary I want to present to you some screenshots of our work. Note that they don't represent actual state of the mod! Some of you might know these models from this news at ofpr.info. Since then I was working hard on the mod, and fixed some mistakes in models, not to mention completely new textures for units. I hope that I'll be able to prepare release in April and you'll like it! ;)

And now for pictures...

Weapons Pack

First, very old (September 2011) model of Beryl B, known as Beryl 2004, improved version made for our forces in Iraq.

20thsep20111.th.jpg

Then improved Beryls from February 2012, as you can see I'd highlighted changes.

4thfeb20121.th.jpg4thfeb20122.th.jpg

And last but not least: PKM and UKM-2000P, completely new models based on WW4 Mod version of AKM74's Pulemyot.

4thfeb20123.th.jpg

That's all for the time being. See you soon folks! ;)

Krzychuzokecia

Karbala 2004 Mod

Edited by krzychuzokecia