Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

SoonTM :) Just after QuiteSoonTM and a little before ALongTimeAway ;)

UPDATE: the mod is progressing nicely.

Behind the scenes note: For those of you who may not know it, once you add some sort of functionality to the game, all sorts of other issues come up. For example, if you drop your backpack while swimming and it ends up on the sea floor below a dive depth limit for closed circuit divers, that's a problem. Or if you enable aiming your weapon while swimming, should you still be able to dive and submerge? If you dive too much, the game engine injures you. So should you limit the amount you can dive while aiming? What if sea level changes from hour to hour or map to map? If you add the ability to make underwater flares, should you let them hang in the air? Should you add velocity to them so they fall to the ground as the engine takes over and adds gravity to them? What if they bounce around like a superball? Should you try to stop that? If you have a player ger nitrogen narcosis, should you injure them? What if they are already injured? Should you make a way for them to be healed or just let them get treated at a hospital?

These are just a small portion of thr bigger picture items to say nothing about setVariable vs. Global Variable vs. private and local variables and scope and single vs double quotes and marker names and blah blah blah So there is a lot to work on and sleep is at a premium. :) It is a fun process though and I'm happy that so many of you are excited about this little project.

Keep the good comments coming. When will it be done? Soon ©. ;)

For example, if you drop your backpack while swimming and it ends up on the sea floor below a dive depth limit for closed circuit divers, that's a problem

"Shit happens" :) Like the (in)famous leg-bags the Normandy paratroopers were given..... As for nitrogen narcosis, easy-peasy - use a helium mix. Then all you have to worry about is changing every diver's voice :D

So there is a lot to work on and sleep is at a premium. :) It is a fun process though and I'm happy that so many of you are excited about this little project.

"Excited" is an understatement!

Cheers

Orcinus

... are excited about this little project.

Little project uh??

Feint, you're the man!

Feint, about drop rucks in water - if droped in water, set pos him to water level, and he must swiming on water as boat :)?!

About lot of actions, you can try use CBA and ACE for interaction menu ;), and you can more :)

about injured in water, if players target have variable (narcosis) then add action attach it to player and play animation "drag backward", ability to bring him on land :) (somelikes drag body)

... just a means...

This has been in my mind several times, but I keep forgetting about it :o The swimming sounds have already been mentioned, but yeah, they need to go. The BI stock splish-splash sounds like my toddler son hitting the water with a rubber duck in a yard pond :eek:

During RL dives, pretty much the only sound one hears is ones own regulator/rebreather sound. The swimming itself does not make any hearable sound at all. The only sound I've tended to notice is the sometimes backgound hiss of currents and surf. Underwater engine sounds etc. are ofcourse another realm entirely, maybe best left for specific sound mods.

My suggestion for realistic diving presentation is therefore to get rid of the swimming sound completely, if possible. The addon's looking great, btw:cool:

Posible change a lound(deep) for sound, here simple config tweaks, but realy sounds must be replaced :D

The BI stock splish-splash sounds like my toddler son hitting the water with a rubber duck in a yard pond

+1 :)

Feint, yesterday I was surfing wikipedia and then found that some divers carry EOD equipment,that could be a cool addition for defusing sea mines

Looks amazing but is there any prediction for a release yet ??
SoonTM :) Just after QuiteSoonTM and a little before ALongTimeAway ;)

Yep, Mr german, the BIS community runs on Valve time (as kremator pointed out) so "Soon" would be 2010 but the actual time will be around 2013... :D

Edited by Scarecrow398

I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions on using User Actions vs. keystrokes for diving. Currently, I have the module set up so that if you are performing one of the swimming actions, hitting user action 19 or user action 20 will surface or dive. But maybe it would be better to use Q and Z. What do you all think? In my opinion, it almost doesn't matter, but I'd like to hear pros and cons. With the user actions, you have to set up your game before diving (i.e. assign keys to those actions). No big deal. But it's an extra step. On the other hand, if you use Q or Z, it's ready to go out of the box, so to speak. However, then you can't re-assign the diving and submerging key to whatever you want. Thoughts?

What about changing it to moving the mouse up and down? (up to swim upwards, down to swim downwards, kind of like how you steer a helicopter or jet.) If it's not possible I say the "Q" and "Z".

Dive quick keys be great, because when enemy start shooting by you, you dont have time to scrolling actions :D, its must have a very fast reaction

First I would like to say Congratulation on a Project that is bigger than Ben Hur

Alot of ppl have designed addons for OFP,Arma series but you would have to be the only person who has taken on a Project that has a completely different category of it own.

The amount of work that you have accomplished is unbelievable..... not just the mod but how you keep uptodate on your project... as I know what its like.... alot of time that goes into project updates is nearly the same hours or more just to show where you are.....[ I haven't seen [APS]Gnat for a year now]

I also want to congratulate the ppl that have helped Feint in his project because its you that will help get this mod out to the public for everyone to enjoy a new type of game and keep ArmA alive and show the Arma players that anything can be achieved.

So once again well done Feint really looking forward of seeing your project come alive. :)

If "W" and "S" have swiming functionality as I would assume them to, I think "Q" and "Z" would work well. Is there any chance of having both a useraction and keystoke assigned as this would then cater for all users. As you say though, I don't think it really matters.

I am looking forward to seeing if Ican implement this into my Carrier Operations as part of the objective to destroy a number of Dualan Frigates. We'll see what the functionality the addon comes with. It may need a little scripting from my part : )

Make them assignable to whatever we choose. You can have them default assigned to Q and Z in the config, but give us the freedom of choice. I know that I remap a lot of my controls to allow for more accessible buttons than default, and I know a few others who do the same.

I agree, I have not one key as default.

Great Job Feint I cant wait to see how this turns out. I have put my Metal Gear Solid Campaign I told you about a while ago on hold till this comes out. Sure it will be a small portion of my campaign but the Entry is one the coolest parts of Metal Gear. I personally decide in favor of the Action keys not Q and Z like as you said then we cant pick which key we want for a dive. Diving is not just swimming and ducking when being shot at. There is alot to Under water diving as I remember hearing that Navy Deep sea divers have one the Worlds most dangerous jobs. You go down too fast=You die. You go up too fast=You die.

So considering how much work you've put into this there will be a science to this mod and it wont be just jump in the water and q and z all over the place. This is a very technical aspect of Naval warfare and not just anyone is a Seal or Deep sea diver. It requires patience attention to detail and Common sense that some people just will never possess. This mod will be opening doors in Arma we never knew existed. Good luck on your continued work and hope to see a release soon.

Feint if clear Q&Z not posible try to use modifier, CTRL maby

Thanks to everyone for their input. I currently have diving set as useractions that you can assign to whatever you want for all of the reasons you brought up. I personally use Q and Z because they are closest to the swim keys of forward left and right. Plus it seems easiest to hold down Z and W to dive and move forward at the same time.

@JGuid, just so you know, the diving isn't an addaction. Well, for AI it is, but not for players. When you hold down the dive key, you start to dive. When you hold down the ascend key, you start to rise. When you let go, you stop changing depths.

@JSF 82nd Reaper, the mouse is currently used to look up and down when swimming similar to the way the mouse works when on a parachute. I'm guessing this is preferable for those poor players who don't use TrackIR. ;) It is the BIS default behavior. I'm sure there is some way to control the pitch of the diver, similar to Armed Assault era HALO jumping display/dialog, but I'm not going to pursue it due to anticipated problems and complications. Good suggestion though..

Thanks all for your input and gracious support. I'm looking forward to releasing this as soon as possible.

QUESTION: is the command addCamShake local only? If I use it to mimic shivering, would all multiplayer players shake too? The command doesn't seem to be able to be applied to a unit or even a specific camera.

Edited by Feint