Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

Gnat;2127395']

6th death on 2 years' date=' on the west coast.

But still, you're more likely to be struck by lightning ;)[/quote']

True but I think those odds go WAY up when you enter the water.

True but I think those odds go WAY up when you enter the water.

Especially when the poor guy was diving 1.6km out to sea, the odds may well be much lower on the shoreline. The guy before him however was apparently recovering his anchor stuck on the bottom at Rottnest Island. Both guys where obviously diving. It would be interesting to know if he had a shark-shield on.

I think the shark addon implemented into diving missions will work here, it is definitely a consideration it shows for any diver.

Thanks

Rough Knight

Roughly 100 million sharks are killed per year, or around 11,000 an hour. These are "reported catches" so the number is probably far higher. So every time I read a news report about a human killed by a shark and they say things like, "The latest victim..." as if it is an ongoing crisis in the human population, I think of that statistic. How many humans a year are killed by a shark? There are about 60 shark attacks worldwide every year, and deaths are pretty rare.

@feint - good post. More than a third of shark species are on the endangered list, mostly killed for the fins to make soup.

The deadliest non-human animal on the planet is still the mosquito, and likely to become more so as climate change encourages the spread of Anopheles and other species, and more accidental introductions of parasites occur (e.g., West Nile Fever - now endemic in much of the US and spreading through the EU & RF/CIS).

OT - I like your idea of inflatable-buoy lifting; opens various scenario possibilities, such as smuggling CBW agents, or drugs (as in 'Once Upon a Time in America'). IIRC, weren't there also some mines that were dropped onto the sea bed which after variable delays blew the buoyancy tanks to hazard shipping & tie up the minesweepers?

BR

Orcinus

@feint - good post. More than a third of shark species are on the endangered list, mostly killed for the fins to make soup.

The deadliest non-human animal on the planet is still the mosquito, and likely to become more so as climate change encourages the spread of Anopheles and other species, and more accidental introductions of parasites occur (e.g., West Nile Fever - now endemic in much of the US and spreading through the EU & RF/CIS).

OT - I like your idea of inflatable-buoy lifting; opens various scenario possibilities, such as smuggling CBW agents, or drugs (as in 'Once Upon a Time in America'). IIRC, weren't there also some mines that were dropped onto the sea bed which after variable delays blew the buoyancy tanks to hazard shipping & tie up the minesweepers?

BR

Orcinus

Yes....but I live in Western Australia on the coast...it's a little hard to explain the feeling here steping into the water. Many are a little spooked due to four deaths attributed to White Pointers within a few hundred km of coastline in the last 6 months (not sure those numbers indicate a shortage of white-pointers which are a protected species). It doesn't feel like you are more likely to be hit by a car on the way home that's for sure.

Anyway, there has been a few posts in the Lingor thread about Oil Rigs native to the map, this addon should be cool in a number of scenarios for that map and compliment Icebreakrs latest release well I think : )

@Rough Knight, I believe I tried to swim into the Lingor Oil Rig complex and the way that it is built made it almost impossible to navigate into. I could be misremembering but I believe I swam under it right after I discovered how to swim underwater. I'll swim over there again and see what it looks like and let you know. But if I can, I won't post a screenie as I don't want to ruin any fun with exploring maps subsurface. Stay tuned.

As for sharks, I had a new idea based on my micro air vehicle mod that I've started working on. There is a config for bird and insects like crows, seagulls, dragonflies, etc. And in that config is a max height, min height and mean or average height. If I set those values to negative numbers, perhaps I can get Sam the Shark to fly underwater. You can even set minimum straight distance or maximum or whatever. So basically I could use createCam to place a shark camera at a certain height, follow waypoints that I set and within those waypoints, the shark could theoretically change "Depth" as it goes from waypoint to waypoint. I've already got this working with birds where they follow waypoints I set. Hopefully water won't screw the shark bird up. So anyway, I just have to write the config now and give it a go. But for now, Sam the Shark is backburner as I want to get the rest of this stuff up and running and tested.

As for sharks, I had a new idea based on my micro air vehicle mod that I've started working on. There is a config for bird and insects like crows, seagulls, dragonflies, etc. And in that config is a max height, min height and mean or average height. If I set those values to negative numbers, perhaps I can get Sam the Shark to fly underwater. You can even set minimum straight distance or maximum or whatever. So basically I could use createCam to place a shark camera at a certain height, follow waypoints that I set and within those waypoints, the shark could theoretically change "Depth" as it goes from waypoint to waypoint. I've already got this working with birds where they follow waypoints I set. Hopefully water won't screw the shark bird up. So anyway, I just have to write the config now and give it a go. But for now, Sam the Shark is backburner as I want to get the rest of this stuff up and running and tested.

Lol, if there is a will there is often a way. Nice theory...I hope it works, it would certainly make another nice touch when diving...if not only for the underwater ambience.

@Rough Knight, I believe I tried to swim into the Lingor Oil Rig complex and the way that it is built made it almost impossible to navigate into. I could be misremembering but I believe I swam under it right after I discovered how to swim underwater. I'll swim over there again and see what it looks like and let you know. But if I can, I won't post a screenie as I don't want to ruin any fun with exploring maps subsurface. Stay tuned.

Yay!! Sam the Shark!

Great work Feint and we all are looking forward to your projects. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go hopefully some time soon to test my theory. It's one of the reasons I start work on other mods while still working on this one. They seem to point my brain in different directions that I wouldn't normally go just working on this one thing.

Thanks guys. I'll give it a go hopefully some time soon to test my theory. It's one of the reasons I start work on other mods while still working on this one. They seem to point my brain in different directions that I wouldn't normally go just working on this one thing.

Look forward to that. As for the brain - do you know the story of Kekule & the benzene ring? The limbic system is always looking for patterns/pattern matching.

While you're looking at other projects, how about resurrecting a Titanoboa? That would really give the swimmers something to think about.... until they get swallowed...

Wonderful project, the release will be a major event - IMHO rivaling the Arma 3 Alpha.

Cheers

Orcinus

Meatball created some amazing MARSOC combat divers with some super cool features like the ability to don and doft gear. He sent me a unit tonight to play with. Here are some quick screenshots.

MARSOC_divers-01_LR.jpg MARSOC_divers-02_LR.jpg

MARSOC_divers-03_LR.jpg MARSOC_divers-04_LR.jpg

MARSOC_divers-05_LR.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:43 ----------

Look forward to that. As for the brain - do you know the story of Kekule & the benzene ring? The limbic system is always looking for patterns/pattern matching.

While you're looking at other projects, how about resurrecting a Titanoboa? That would really give the swimmers something to think about.... until they get swallowed...

Wonderful project, the release will be a major event - IMHO rivaling the Arma 3 Alpha.

Cheers

Orcinus

Wow, that's a nice compliment. Thanks. I'm just doing my part like many others around here. And I've received a lot of help and materiel from other community members who have high hopes for having fun underwater. This project would have failed long ago if it weren't for the clever support of people much smarter than I.

I don't know about Kekule and the benzene ring but I'll look it up. The pattern recognition thing about the brain is familiar to me. Titanboa? Is that like a huge snake? I have to see if the snakes from that addon can swim in water. I'd be happy if they could. The croc addon already makes swimming in water rather harrowing.

Edited by Feint

Good Feint, did you change a swiming sounds :)?

Titanboa? Is that like a huge snake? I have to see if the snakes from that addon can swim in water. I'd be happy if they could. The croc addon already makes swimming in water rather harrowing.

Titanoboa was the largest known snake in history, 14 m (50 ft) 1100 kg. It became extinct almost 60 mn years ago. It could swallow crocs whole (& Sam the shark too, come to that). Scuba diver? 'Mmm, snack time'.

It was mostly aquatic. No addon AFAIK.

Largest today (& can swim extremely well) is Python Reticulatus, which grows to almost 30 ft long. Saw an 18-20 ft long beastie in Khao Sok a few years ago - from a safe distance! - though they don't attack humans unless disturbed, when they become seriously dangerous. They can even be found in Bangkok (so, sometimes are King cobras - and those are really scarey).

Those images are great! Kudos to Meatball!

BR

Orcinus

are there any other swimming animations, anything similar to the arma 3 kind?

no, there isn't any.

Ive been watching this thread for quite some time, and I cannot wait for the release as this will open new possibilities for mission making. I have a question regarding AI detection of the player swimming close to the surface: is it simillar to player crawling through grass, lower or higher, i.e. is stealth a viable option?

Thank you for your magnificent work and constant updates. Great advertising, btw! ;)

I created a mission where I placed an AI soldier on a dock and tried different ways to swim up to him. I set a trigger that would give me a hint when "detected by" enemy AI. During the day, it was easy to be spotted (or heard). At night, it was more difficult to be spotted. During the day, I swam along the sea floor all the way to the base of the pier, which was kind of deep and I was still spotted. So, I'm not sure what the key off for the AI is. And I'm not sure how much more or less difficult it is to be spotted as I don't know much about how AI detect threats. I know snipers can be harder to spot because they have a detectability level lower than other units. I don't think the water surface acts as a viewblocker. But there is this sort of fog underwater which may act in the same way as fog acts on land. Long story short, I don't know. The AI seem to hold their fire kind of knowing that they won't hit me with a rifle. But I've also had ships open fire on me while I was submerged. But I've also swam up to ships and not been spotted.

Another scenario was when me and an AI buddy were swimming on the surface. He opened fire on a patrol boat and was mowed down by enemy fire. I held my fire and they didn't see me because it was dark. But as soon as I started shooting them, then they engaged me. But this was swimming on the surface. I then engaged them, they swiveled to fire on me, I dove, swam under the boat and emerged on the other side and they were able to track me from one side to the other of the boat. But only sometimes. So half the time I could get the drop on them by going under the boat and surfacing on the other side. The other half of the time they tracked me and killed me.

Ive been watching this thread for quite some time, and I cannot wait for the release as this will open new possibilities for mission making. I have a question regarding AI detection of the player swimming close to the surface: is it simillar to player crawling through grass, lower or higher, i.e. is stealth a viable option?

Thank you for your magnificent work and constant updates. Great advertising, btw! ;)

is it possible to cycle it faster then, to make you swim fater?

I know snipers can be harder to spot because they have a detectability level lower than other units.

in model config camoflage=* param (if high value object are more spotable)

About AI tracking, its game and AI issue, this happend of AI view-angle, and target movement speed hight etc, just a curve AI

Hey Feint, I followed this mod on Armaholic. Since you were no more updating the thread, I started following this one.

You keep stunning me with your mod. Awesome job!

For being not detected underwater can't you use the "setcaptive" command?

For example: "Player setcaptive true" under a certain depth. Over that depth, you make Player setcaptive false, and then the enemy can attack you again. So that can simulate enemies difficulty to see you underwater.

@Feint: It's entirely possible to set the detectability of a unit in terms of visibility & sound, down to invisible / inaudible (until the unit fires a weapon). Check out Mysteryman5150's cool "Infantry Stealth and Recognition Skills":

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?95484-Infantry-Stealth-and-Recognition-Skills-Mod

BR

Orcinus

Cool, thanks. I'll check it out.

Here are some screenshots I took tonight just for fun using the SLX Melee weapon, a very slow setAccTime and Meatball's MARSOC Combat Diver. He and I are working together to get the unit and the module sync'd so that when you take off your dive gear underwater, you have to start holding your breath.

MARSOC_Combat_Diver-01_LR.jpg MARSOC_Combat_Diver-02_LR.jpg

MARSOC_Combat_Diver-03_LR.jpg MARSOC_Combat_Diver-04_LR.jpg

Here are some screenshots I took tonight just for fun using the SLX Melee weapon, a very slow setAccTime and Meatball's MARSOC Combat Diver. He and I are working together to get the unit and the module sync'd so that when you take off your dive gear underwater, you have to start holding your breath.

Those are stunning. BTW, what sort of rig will be needed for this? - just in case I need to start saving my pennies earlier than I had thought necessary (for probable ugrade for A3).

:respekt:

Orcinus