Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

@Feint IIRC underwater firearms do fire steel darts because bullets don't work well in frogmans playground. Though there are underwater rifles but the light conditions and the movement underwater are limited so pistols and similar close range weapons are more in use. If you can't find a way/trick to get underwater firearms work properly now than release this addon and add them later via update (or see if + how will BIS do it in A3). Guess underwater mines/satchels will be effective anyway. ;)

Though I'm not a fan of "just release it so we can play with it" type of ideas, I do agree with NoRailgunner when he says that the mines/satchels will be great in game as another aspect for stealthy type missions.

Good luck, I like coming back to the forums and seeing the fact that you've updated with WIPs every once in a while. It's fascinating to see the new aspects you're bringing to the game.

@[APS]Gnat

Wouldnt you be able to make an sdv by scaling down the delta class and recycling some scripts?

excuse my almost obvious ignorance of the subject. Im sure its much harder than that.

Sure, someone slap together a basic 3d model and I'll do the rest.

Gnat;2121768']Sure' date=' someone slap together a basic 3d model and I'll do the rest.[/quote']

^^ THIS is why this community is the dog's danglies !

Gnat;2121768']Sure' date=' someone slap together a basic 3d model and I'll do the rest.[/quote']

now thats where my expertise comes to an end. Ill look up how to make a 3d model, the rest idk.

Give me three days at the most and I'll get you a BASIC p3d model in the 0.000 LOD of the SDV, but as far as the other LODs I'm still learning.....haven't progressed through all of your videos yet :P

UPDATE---------

I actually found some free time today and started modelling the basic structure today and collected a load of resource images and dimensions. Will most definitely have a model for Gnat by Wednesday.

On a side note, didn't someone else mention pages back that they had a model to "lend" or am I imagining that? I just figure that the way my luck goes, once I begin, that person will re-appear and send it over, lol.

Back OT- Feint, what other stuff have you done with the DDS so that the AI can utilize it with the diving functions?

Edited by Raptor 6 Actual

@[APS]Gnat

I take it if you make this,youll make it deployable from the delta class such as the crrc is?

Give me three days at the most and I'll get you a BASIC p3d model in the 0.000 LOD of the SDV, but as far as the other LODs I'm still learning.....haven't progressed through all of your videos yet :P

UPDATE---------

I actually found some free time today and started modelling the basic structure today and collected a load of resource images and dimensions. Will most definitely have a model for Gnat by Wednesday.

On a side note, didn't someone else mention pages back that they had a model to "lend" or am I imagining that? I just figure that the way my luck goes, once I begin, that person will re-appear and send it over, lol.

Back OT- Feint, what other stuff have you done with the DDS so that the AI can utilize it with the diving functions?

I believe ADO in the other thread had the beginnings of a type of small personal sub, not an SDV, but maybe a European version which looked like it was an open top. But I believe that work was abandoned upon realization of problems of making subs in general. I could be misremembering though.

The Dry Deck Shelter script I've made is currently works like so:

1. Add a dds-init sqf file to Los Angeles sub
  2. That dds-init sqf creates the dds and attaches it to the Los Angeles class sub. It also adds an action to the dds for launching/recovering the CRRC.
  3. When you click on that action, a new script creates the CRRC and palettes and moves everything into position (deploys). It also adds an action to the CRRC for untethering the CRRC (moving it to the surface of the water slowly)

So far, those are the actions and at the moment, they are all able to be activated by the AI. Now, if the AI can do it is another matter. Around the sub, the AI tend to act funny almost like they are afraid of getting too close to the sub. I'm not sure why. I've so far not tested whether or not the AI can deploy the CRRC and untether it from the deck, but they can do other actions while submerged, so I don't see why they couldn't do this. But it's worth a test because one should never overestimate the AI.

incase you're interested in underwater firearms :)

APS Assault rifle

ASM-DT Dual medium rifle

ADS rifle

And the round many of them fired

But who wants only assault rifles, we want pistols too :D

The SPP-1

but the russians were not the only ones that wanted to protect thier divers, germany did too with thier H&K P11

Sorry Feint to hijack your thread, but this is meant for your mod in the first place....so, as I promised, I will be sending Gnat a basic p3d model of the SDV tomorrow from the pics I researched, information I heard, and links that Feint sent me pertaining to the gauges and some of the youtube videos of an SDV.

I hope Gnat wasn't being sarcastic when he offered to do the rest, lol.

I also got bored for a few minutes and decided to go back through the entire thread and again, it's quite amazing at the progress that you've made Feint. Hope to help out more in the future. If you don't mind, when I finish the nose section, I'll post a few WIP shots of the vehicle. Should work very well for some SEAL type missions in the future.

Roger that. Looking forward to it!

I am sending the "basic" p3d model over now. Remember, I'm still a noob at the whole modelling aspect, so for you addon makers, please don't cringe when you see the sloppy polygon configuration.

Currently, with no Instrument panel, gauges, or knobs, the poly count is 2653 and 3128 verts. I don't know how to texture, so I took some screenshots in Modo with reflective material on.

So, again, I apologize to Feint for posting these in here. If you need to critique it, please PM me so that the thread doesn't swerve off topic too much.

Hope you enjoy!

WIP_SDV1.jpg

WIP_SDV2.jpg

Its your model?! Whats is programm you use for modeling?! :)

I used Oxygen for the model, but Modo for getting a larger picture of it. But yes, I have done each and every single vert....to the point that I hate seeing the white background of Oxygen for the next day or so.

I was in a rush to send it over to Gnat, and looking at it now, I can see the nose looks nothing like what it should. There are too many "un-smooth" transitions from one section to another.

Hopefully, Gnat or one of you all can shoot some suggestions to me in a PM to give me a heads up.

I can't wait to be able to use Feint's module to launch from the DDS and get close to something like that Off-Shore Oil Rig and blow it out of the water.

...to the point that I hate seeing the white background of Oxygen...

son-i-am-proud.jpg

You've come a long way. :) Keep it up.

...also, you can change the background colour of O2, if you don't like the white. Just sayin'...

Abs

I put together a quick config to get it in game as a static object and I setPos'd it underwater. Fantastic job! Looks amazing!

Here are some screenshots (FYI, objects underwater look "wavey" because I'm using a post processing effect to add that wavy underwater effect - i.e. the model is not wavy):

SDV-09_LR.jpg

SDV-01_LR.jpg SDV-02_LR.jpg

SDV-03_LR.jpg SDV-04_LR.jpg

SDV-05_LR.jpg

This is the view from the front seat (I just placed a camera inside there):

SDV-06_LR.jpg SDV-08_LR.jpg

This is the view from the rear seat (again, I just placed a camera in there):

SDV-07_LR.jpg

Awesome work....hopefully Gnat can find some time to have a look at the other stuff for you. It's pretty impressive what you guys can knock out in a short space of time.

Thanks, I am looking forward to using this mod just like everyone else.

Thanks

Rough Knight.

Using switchMove "AH1Z_Gunner", I attached two diver units to the SDV just to see how it would look. It's funny, their dive fins stick out the front. I wonder if that's a problem in the real SDVs (the fins getting in the way).

SDV-10_LR.jpg SDV-11_LR.jpg

SDV-12_LR.jpg SDV-13_LR.jpg

SDV-14_LR.jpg SDV-15_LR.jpg

Sorry, ... no more words... :(

:raisebrow::dead::d::232::yell:

:t:

Edited by J-Guid
all specter of emotions by my modeling team when we see that...

Raptor 6 Actual resized his SDV to be a foot smaller. I've tried a few different cargo and driver animations and positions and it looks like the flippers stick out of the front for most of them unless I move the seats way far back which I don't think is accurate. Of course, you could always use units without flippers. :)

Here are updated screenies:

SDV_RESIZED-01_LR.jpg SDV_RESIZED-02_LR.jpg

SDV_RESIZED-03_LR.jpg SDV_RESIZED-04_LR.jpg

SDV_RESIZED-05_LR.jpg SDV_RESIZED-06_LR.jpg

SDV_RESIZED-07_LR.jpg

Edited by Feint

Well, the last day and a half, I've been working on the Instrument panel. I may be going to far with the detail, and have stopped to get it into the SDV. My only problem is that it didn't quite look correct. As I started messing around with things, i came to the realization that I should rebuild the SDV using the instrument panel as a reference.

Anyhow, here is a photo of a real instrument panel:

sdv_instr.jpg

Here is what I've made thus far:

WIP_instrumentpanel.jpg

I redesigned the front part of the SDV so as not to be so wavy and to be longer to account for the flippers. I also closed the faces so that you can't see through them.

As I continue to remodel the SDV, Feint mentioned that I should model the periscope, so that will be my major project for today. As soon as I can, I'll get a pic of the instrument panel actually inside of the vehicle for you all to see.