Sign in to follow this  
Feint

Diving Under Water

I've been posting on the Armaholic forums, but I'm in need of more help for something I'm working on.

I've managed to get players to dive under water using attachTo. Basically I attachTo a pond, then setPos the pond and player under water. The main problem is that I can see the top surface of the pond. And since I'm new to model-making, I can't seem to create a new pond surface that works in game.

I'm currently using MAP Editor Update to use the vanilla ponds. I've tried expanding that addon to use some of the other ponds that they didn't include such as "pondtest.p3d", but I can't get the configs correct. I am getting "no entry" errors all over the place.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or maybe just take over this part of my addon? I need an invisible pond.

Here's a link to the video to give you an idea of the problem I'm having:

7iuKPp0wkKg

Can you not set the pond surface object as invisable?

Or another possibility is to set the pond size so small it won't ever apear outside of the player model.

Nice project.

Have made you a small invisible pond addon which should hopefully do what you need. It's not editor placeable as I thought that would be tidier and also encourage you to create it dynamically and only on the client that needs it. So you can't see it or place it but you can test its existence by placing Player on Utes runway and adding to the init:

("SCUBA_Pond" CreateVehicleLocal [0, 0, 0]) SetPos GetPos this;

Looks really nice. Opens up lots of new possibilities for Seal type missions. Also do not forget to make diving soldiers less detectable to the enemy.

I hope you can get rid of the bugs.

This looks like a great addon - it reminds me of the CoC

Diver/Combat swimmer addon for Operation Flashpoint

which was much more limited in scope.

Will you continue using the ADO divers or are you working

on additional unit models? Any plans for underwater weapons?

Great work on the videos too. They go a long way to

demonstrate the capabilities of the mod. :)

Edited by f00bar

Nice project.

Have made you a small invisible pond addon which should hopefully do what you need. It's not editor placeable as I thought that would be tidier and also encourage you to create it dynamically and only on the client that needs it. So you can't see it or place it but you can test its existence by placing Player on Utes runway and adding to the init:

("SCUBA_Pond" CreateVehicleLocal [0, 0, 0]) SetPos GetPos this;

OMG awesome. Downloading and testing now. Thank you!!!

EDIT: Seriously awesome now. Thank you Defunkt. I owe you big time. Do you think you can make a second version of your invisible pond but larger? I've found that the AI will swim with me underwater if we dive together. In the below screenshot, you can see the AI diving with me, but if I move any further than this away from him, he snaps back to the surface as he reaches the edge of the invisible pond. Of course, the way it is now would be better for Multiplayer or if I design an independent diver version of all of this that the AI can follow (which would be ideal).

BTW, I also tried using createVehicleLocal instead of placing the pond in the editor and moving it into position. Works great and is cleaner/simpler/repeatable. Thanks for that idea.

Some screenies: (as you can see, as I look down, you can no longer see the surface of the pond!)

nosurface-01.jpgnosurface-02.jpg

nosurface-03.jpgnosurface-04.jpg

Can you not set the pond surface object as invisable?

Or another possibility is to set the pond size so small it won't ever apear outside of the player model.

This was my original intention (to make a really small pond). But I'm so new to model making that I was having a lot of problems. I suspect there are problems with my copy of BinPBO because even when I unPbo something and then rePbo without changing anything, things don't seem to work correctly. Might be a binarizing problem or something I just don't know how to do correctly.

Looks really nice. Opens up lots of new possibilities for Seal type missions. Also do not forget to make diving soldiers less detectable to the enemy.

I hope you can get rid of the bugs.

So far, this addon can be applied to any soldier unit. I'm just using the ADO units because they look super badass. As for making then less detectable to the enemy, I've not looked into this yet. So far, all testing has been peacetime testing. But once I square a few things away, I plan to see how much I can sneak up on the enemy or past the enemy.

This looks like a great addon - it reminds me of the CoC

Diver/Combat swimmer addon for Operation Flashpoint

which was much more limited in scope.

Will you continue using the ADO divers or are you working

on additional unit models? Any plans for underwater weapons?

Great work on the videos too. They go a long way to

demonstrate the capabilities of the mod. :)

Like I said above, so far I'm just using the ADO divers as placeholders. I currently don't have any plans to make any divers or other units. I'd rather just create this system for use on any unit so people can use it whenever they want (like being able to skydive even though there aren't any parachute backpacks in the game so far).

By the way, thanks for the nice compliment on the video! I made two other versions that were funnier, but less practiced and with quieter audio.

Very impressive

Thanks, dude!

Edited by Feint

This looks really bloody cool

There's a map out there with some sea outposts alá sealand, I believe it's that huge RKSL one, would be neat for some missions with them

Feint, you have made a truly awesome piece of work here. I'm glad to see another boundary broken for the game. It just goes to show that by BIS letting the community take part in modifying the game, they are making ArmA 2 the best game out there. Keep up the fantastic work.

Looking good so far Feint.

You should stick with the small version of the pond and just assign it to your group if near you etc, otherwise if you swim pats an AI or player who is on land he may start swimming along the ground as you go by.

feint, you have made a truly awesome piece of work here. I'm glad to see another boundary broken for the game. It just goes to show that by bis letting the community take part in modifying the game, they are making arma 2 the best game out there. Keep up the fantastic work.

+1 :)

Lovely work mate

Thank you Defunkt.

Glad he did it, because I was going to if he hadnt. Seemed like a simple & obvious solution ;)

I suspect there are problems with my copy of BinPBO because even when I unPbo something and then rePbo without changing anything, things don't seem to work correctly. Might be a binarizing problem or something I just don't know how to do correctly.

No, "un-PBO" is NOT the same as "un-binarizing"

PBO system is only the file packaging system, Binarizing is optimising certain files that go into the package.

BinPBO does both

unPBO can only do un-packaging. Your likely getting problems because you can't then Binarize a file TWICE.

As for making then less detectable to the enemy, I've not looked into this yet. So far, all testing has been peacetime testing. But once I square a few things away, I plan to see how much I can sneak up on the enemy or past the enemy.

You may want to ask someone to add a new version of their diver or create a custom config to re-write their config because I believe you can use;

camouflage =

in a units config to make divers much harder to spot.

Values;

Normal man = around 2

Snipers & Spotter = around 1 to 0.5

I take note of your remark which is judicious Mr [APS] Gnat is I integrated it in my next update for AO.

P.S:

I think the only problem was that command general:

Is that you can not apply this value depending on whether the diver is in water or on land (depending on environment).

Edited by ADOGMC

Is there a way to get rid of that big white bar that stretches along the horizon underwater?

Is there a way to get rid of that big white bar that stretches along the horizon underwater?

Hi, im not sure, but maybe turning Off the Post Processing will make it, i'd seen that line various times after jump from shotdown planes and helos and swiming back to land but only having the PP turned On from Very Low to Very High; on the ArmA2, i don't use the OA/CO. I use the OA DVD as paperweight. Let's C ya

Feint, you have made a truly awesome piece of work here. I'm glad to see another boundary broken for the game. It just goes to show that by BIS letting the community take part in modifying the game, they are making ArmA 2 the best game out there. Keep up the fantastic work.

Thanks!

Looking good so far Feint.

You should stick with the small version of the pond and just assign it to your group if near you etc, otherwise if you swim pats an AI or player who is on land he may start swimming along the ground as you go by.

That's something that I hadn't considered, swimming to shore with a big pond around me and "capturing" the person on shore into my underwater pond. That's a good thought. OK, I'll just keep the pond the size that it is now.

Really, proper procedure for swimming up to a beach, just as in real life, will have to be to swim to a relatively shallow depth while underwater, then when the space between the surface of the ocean and the level of the sea floor gets narrower than your height, maybe at around 7 feet?, that would be the time to surface and swim to shore normally. As for getting AI to dive on their own or at my command, that's something I have to figure out.

+1 :)

Thanks! :)

Gnat;1895050']Lovely work mate

Glad he did it' date=' because I was going to if he hadnt. Seemed like a simple & obvious solution ;)

No, "un-PBO" is NOT the same as "un-binarizing"

PBO system is only the file packaging system, Binarizing is optimising certain files that go into the package.

BinPBO does both, unPBO can only do un-packaging. Your likely getting problems because you can't then Binarize a file TWICE.

You may want to ask someone to add a new version of their diver or create a custom config to re-write their config because I believe you can use;

[b']camouflage = [/b]

in a units config to make divers much harder to spot.

Values;

Normal man = around 2

Snipers & Spotter = around 1 to 0.5

Thanks for your endless help man. Always appreciated. RE the un-PBO, I was being lazy not explaining my steps. What I meant to say was, "Even when I un-PBO and unBinerize a config.bin to config.cpp, if I try to re-binerize and re-PBO, I get all sorts of errors." So I'm guessing that it's not possible to unBinerize without errors or something. I'd like to figure this out. What tools do people use to un-BIN a config.bin file into a config.cpp and then rebinerize it without errors? I think maybe I'm just missing something and it's pretty frustrating. I use the command line interface with a program called pbo.exe to unbinerize and unpbo.

I take note of your remark which is judicious Mr [APS] Gnat is I integrated it in my next update for AO.

P.S:

I think the only problem was that command general:

Is that you can not apply this value depending on whether the diver is in water or on land (depending on environment).

Glad to hear you are updating your awesome scuba and closed circuit model guys. By the way, I remember you saying something about making the scuba tanks a backpack. I'm still working on this script from KJU to prevent the player and AI from losing all of their gear while swimming. Having problems rebinerizing and repboing it after modifying his values. Once that is sorted out, I think the backpack way to go may be the way to go. :)

cant wait to go exploring Mana Island reef's and around the oil rig

I was just thinking about this awesome island. Don't know what the undersea area looks like around it, but I love Mikebart's rocks and actually just suggested that people make templates using them to make the sea floors of other islands more interesting.

Totally stoked! Lots of ideas brewing for missions already. Keep up the amazing work!

Thanks! I'm hoping that I can get this bunch of scripts into a quality product that people will be happy with and that they won't curse because of my amateur status as a script writer.

I'm flabbergasted!

Thanks! I'm just standing on the shoulders of those (more talented scripters) who came before me. Many people like Gnat inspire and help others so much with cool addons and informative Wikis and tutorials. And KJU and Defunkt are really making this releasable, rather than a "close but no cigar" tease. I hope you like the final product.

Hi, im not sure, but maybe turning Off the Post Processing will make it, i'd seen that line various times after jump from shotdown planes and helos and swiming back to land but only having the PP turned On from Very Low to Very High; on the ArmA2, i don't use the OA/CO. I use the OA DVD as paperweight. Let's C ya

I've experimented with changing light levels depending on the depth you are swimming at. I've kind of abandoned that effort at this point as the results are mixed (only being able to manually set Aperture to a set of specific numbers doesn't allow for different INITIAL light levels (cloudy days are darker than sunny days at the same time of day)). But I think you are right because when I manually set the Aperture, it seems to cut the "bloom" out of that visible horizon. Unfortunately, it doesn't erase it totally. For now, it's something we have to live with until someone makes a map that doesn't have that (if that's even possible). The good news is that after spending some time underwater, it doesn't really bother me. And you only see it when you look out to the open ocean. You don't see it if you are looking toward an island.

This looks really bloody cool

There's a map out there with some sea outposts alá sealand, I believe it's that huge RKSL one, would be neat for some missions with them

Yeah, I think I know what map you are referring to. Ilha Marom, right? I know they have the Northern Oil Fields with those helipads but I'm not aware of too many other areas of that map underwater to explore. But I've not circled that island too often. Next time I make an update video though, I'll see if I can swim under some offshore oil rigs.

BTW, for clarification purposes, the original Armaholic forum thread will be my development/news thread. But I'll try to keep this thread updated as well. Feel free to post ideas and info in either one. Thanks for everyone's support and encouragement and help and ideas and info!!!

EDIT: Just did a test of enemy detection while underwater. The enemy didn't detect me when I was under the pier. I got within zero meters of his position and wasn't detected while directly under him and swimming on the surface (with the pier between us). It wasn't until I went out in front of him that he detected me and that was when I was pretty close to the surface (about 1.5 meters down). I'll do another test to see if I can be detected while deep under water and in front of him in his eyeline. But overall, this is good news. It proves that if you approach from the right angle, you can lay charges on a pier and escape without detection. I just need to test when approaching from the front now. Side note: I could dectect him just fine on the map including the direction he was facing in. I used a trigger grouped to me to hint to me when the enemy detected me.

Edited by Feint

This is really cool, I'm pretty impressed with this, and interested to see where you will go with it Feint.

Couple things I'd like to see is the bug or problem with losing one's weapons when you get in the water, that really needs to be fixed.

Another idea I was thinking of is when on a boat how you would see divers sit on the side of the boat and then fall backward into the water.

That would be cool to have an animation for that.

Yeah, I think I know what map you are referring to. Ilha Marom, right? I know they have the Northern Oil Fields with those helipads but I'm not aware of too many other areas of that map underwater to explore. But I've not circled that island too often. Next time I make an update video though, I'll see if I can swim under some offshore oil rigs.

Well if you want some interesting areas adding to Ilha Marrom it can be done. PM me what you'd like to see and I'll add what i can.