Sign in to follow this  
weedkiller

who do you recommend for a server

who do you recommend for supplying us with a server?

must be uk based and actually support arma and have the latest patch installed and running,

our usuall provider has let us down badly and we was rescued by someone who really didnt haved to to get the patch on our hosts server (if you read this ..thx u know who u are lol)

so.. in order that we dont get left stranded again we need a host that supports arma all the way..

Any suggestions?

yeah, post in the right section

UKG are all right for a little server and the guy who runs it Chris is a closet ArmA player so he will look after you.

But we left UK Game because we needed a dedi box and initially we restricted ourselves to the UK. Not finding anything suitable, we looked further afield and eventually settled on this mob in Germany.

http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/

We've not actually had to get in touch with them for tech support, but I'm told they are good in English and their website does English too for the most part.

Ah, that must have happened since we went. I hope whoever took over was as dedicated as Chris.

you see what I did there? :D

We rented a dedicated with hetzner.de for Armaholic when we started.

You get support in a good, quick and helpfull manner. Of course you only get the support of what you paid for, so if your server is self managed they will limit the support but still answer your questions and point you in the right direction.

We were happy clients of them by than but the 1TB traffic limit was not enough for us, back than we needed 3x more, now 15 times more :p

BTW, this was in 2007/2008, so my experience is from a while back, no idea how they are doing now.

Crucially, we've never had to test their support. :)

We have a couple of game servers there, a few websites and stuff like SVN and Redmine. It's not yet broken into a sweat.

Game server pings for me from the UK are around 50 ms, which compares to 30 or so for a UK based provider, but that difference has never manifested itself in game.

Also, we found that our EQ4 was advertised as a I7 920, but ours is actually a 930.

We are happy with them. Well recommended.

I was just looking at that alpha networks site , bit of a nooby question , but what is the difference between a 'server' and a 'dedicated server' ?

I was just looking at that alpha networks site , bit of a nooby question , but what is the difference between a 'server' and a 'dedicated server' ?

Cost! :D

Usually a server is slot based,you pay for how many slots you want for that game.

Dedicated server is a lot more flexible,as many slots you want to run per game,install different games to run at a time etc.

Thanks , I just ordered a small server :)

just trying to get Rcon working now

Edited by jangles

create battleye folder in your profiles folder with beserver.cfg and rest you probs already read about, might need to get your host to open a port..

thx for all the replys gonna look into who you recommend