Sign in to follow this  
Aircraft throttle, keyboard! "Sticky throttle"

G r e e t i n g

Hi!

I n t r o

How about an optional throttle control for aircrafts when using keyboard and mouse?

P r o b l e m

I'm getting tired of holding Q all the time when flying fast. Sometimes even impossible when doing other stuff. It would be better if the fingers could do other stuff than holding Q. :)

How I t W o r k s:

When starting the plane the throttle is at 0%.

Q makes it go up to 10%.

Q again makes it go up to 20%.

Z makes it go down to 10%

And so on.

Q = + 10%

Z = - 10%

Or maybe: Q = + 20%, Z = 20%.

I can't come up with a better name for it than "Sticky Throttle"! :)

Edited by Posta

I rather would like to keep the leaning keys free. In the hope someday we could lean inside jet cockpits to see mdf. Or lean out side a littlebird to check your landing. But the keyboard system as it is now is great? I think what you are suggesting already works with a joystick with throttle slider. I would rather like to see some manual throttle in vehicles. It's annoying you can't drive the same speed as infantry. Or a slow moving truck etc

Yeah something like this would be very nice... Fluid throttle? :P Makes it more like the flight sims have..

I rather would like to keep the leaning keys free. In the hope someday we could lean inside jet cockpits to see mdf. Or lean out side a littlebird to check your landing. But the keyboard system as it is now is great? I think what you are suggesting already works with a joystick with throttle slider.

I will be able to go 100% without holding a key. You open the map, order som AI, shift-clicking on target and you slow down.

Q is already used. So no free leaning keys.

I think you should be able to do this without any hardware throttle controllers.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Yeah something like this would be very nice... Fluid throttle? :P Makes it more like the flight sims have..

Yeah and the option shouldn't be that hard to implement. The code for joystick throttle controllers already there!?

This is a very good suggestion, I've been in many situations where I needed to use my left hand for other things while flying. Also this would be great for hovering the F-35 JSF and Harrier when landing on the LHD.

Great layout of the topic too, I think I'll be stealing this shortly. :p

Edit: As said above it's annoying on the ground too when you want to stay at the same speed, you simply can't. At the moment it's pretty much 100% throttle when ever you press Q.

Edited by MissileMoose
Edit #1

let arrow keys do this work?

I thought everyone would like to use W A S D to control the directions rather than â†â†’↑↓ in this game.

let arrow keys do this work?

I thought everyone would like to use W A S D to control the directions rather than â†â†’↑↓ in this game.

Arrow keys are better than nothing. But you still need to let go of your right or left hand to change it.

Q and Z feels more natural. Left hand on WASD and right on the mouse.

---------- Post added at 06:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

Great layout of the topic too, I think I'll be stealing this shortly. :p

Edit: As said above it's annoying on the ground too when you want to stay at the same speed, you simply can't. At the moment it's pretty much 100% throttle when ever you press Q.

Yeah, steal it! :)

A nice (better than ususal) structure doesn't always help though. Some people only read the first line anyway.

Virtual Joystick (PPJoy) axis which increases by 0.1 or decreases by 0.1 if you press Q / Y :)

Not very hard to do this. :yay:

Virtual Joystick (PPJoy) axis which increases by 0.1 or decreases by 0.1 if you press Q / Y :)

Not very hard to do this. :yay:

Wow!

Thanks a million. Will try that out right now! I was on my way to the bed actually. This will keep me up all night I guess. :/

Wow!

Thanks a million. Will try that out right now! I was on my way to the bed actually. This will keep me up all night I guess. :/

If you don't have a script till tomorrow I'll write one for you. :cool:

If you don't have a script till tomorrow I'll write one for you. :cool:

Thanks, I will probably need it. :)

Have installed that darn program. After som fuzz about unsigned drivers and that kind of stuff.

Just tried it out briefly in Arma 2. The game can find the joystick and the buttons. So half the word done i guess.

UPDATE:

I'm getting closer. I found the mapping screen. :) Throttle, Throttle!

Edited by Posta

I don't know if you can do that with mapping your Q / Z button to an axis :)

I can write you a GlovePIE script that does exactly what you want. :cool:

I don't know if you can do that with mapping your Q / Z button to an axis :)

I can write you a GlovePIE script that does exactly what you want. :cool:

Yeah, I had some problems with that. Gave up.

But I installed a (hardware) gamepad and mapped that.

A toggle for the "Q" could be good enough. Like a cruise control.

That I can do with the joytopad app.

Thanks for your help Cyborg. If you have the time with GlovePIE i'm happy to try it out. But the toggle thingy can work in the meantime. I am still hoping for a menu option in game. A simple checkbox.

Here is the GlovePIE script:

if (!var.init)
  PPJoy1.Analog0 = 0
  var.init = true
endif

if (Key.Q)
  PPJoy1.Analog0 = PPJoy1.Analog0 + 0.1
  Wait 200ms
endif

if (Key.Z)
  if (PPJoy1.Analog0 > 0)
     PPJoy1.Analog0 = PPJoy1.Analog0 - 0.1
  endif
  Wait 200ms
endif

debug = PPJoy1.Analog0

If you want I can add shortcuts for the throttle:

- Shift + 1 : 10%

- Shift + 2 : 20%

- Shift + 0 : 100%

Or some other key combinations :)

Edited by Cyborg11

Hello,

I'm trying to install PPJoy to run the GlovePie script, I'm having some trouble so would one of you be kind enough to walk me through it? I suppose it would help other people too.

Once I've installed it and open it through my CP, I get an error about a missing file. In the user manual it says it's to do with the driver signing. I disabled it through running in test mode (Windows 7 x64 OS), it still doesn't work.

Help! :o

You have to enable the test mode and then you can install PPJoy.

You can't disable the test mode otherwise PPJoy won't work anymore.

In my GlovePIE: Zoom with your Mousewheel is a tutorial :)

Thanks, I was installing a different version so I guess that was the problem. Is that all I have to do to get it working, or do I have to configure it in game? If so, how? :o

Thank you

-Moose

Yes, you have to configure your new virtual joystick :P

Run the script, go ingame, go to your aircraft analogue throttle and press Q/Z till you see your PPJoy virtual axis. After that remove your Q/Z button. :D