Sign in to follow this  
Chief_Wiggum

I am a Spec Op... Therefore the Mighty Shilka is no match for me and my friend.

Is what a US Special Forces soldier seems to think...

Trying to do a sneaking mission, as part of it a pair of soldiers, a leader and the player run through a field when a shilka and BMP-2 drive down the road. Now the Combat mode is stealth, and im instructing hold fire. however the leader thinks it would be prudent to go and engage the tanks with a rifle and subsequently gets mauled in the process.

So, my question is... Is there any way to make an AI soldier a bit more of a pussy when it comes to vehicles/tanks/planes/static?

If you don't want the unit to attack then you could put this in the init line of the shilka or whatever:

tank1 setCaptive true

Now the blufor units won't shoot it. When you want them to shoot it, you could put a trigger with a condition of whatever you want and on act:

tank1 setCaptive false

Edited by koalasalad

Yeah,.. However I have a horrible feeling that my guy will end up crawling along the road, not even concerned about the tank. He still needs to hide :)

Put his behavior on stealth. How close do you plan to have the spec ops unit that he would be crawling on the same road as the tank is driving?

Edited by koalasalad

...road. Now the combat mode is stealth, and im instructing hold fire...

When I say "on the road"... I mean, he probably wont give a damn about the tank and just try high tailing it across the field as opposed to standard move from cover to cover.

I dont know if this is just coincidence but it worked fine for me. I put a shilka driving down a road and the spec ops unit was on stealth with a waypoint across the road. When he saw the shilka, he layed down and waited for it to pass then he crossed the road.

If you dont want him to engage or get up and run, try also setting his behavior as careless, and a triggered event or waypoint even that does this

SpecOpsDude setunitpos "down"

This will make him stay in the prone position until you set his pos to UP, MIDDLE, DOWN or AUTO.

Hmm, maybe its the unit type or something. Im using US>Special Forces>Operator (Night Assault).

Hold fire... its... ok. However the leader will continually proclaim "Eyes On Target". So if for instance I did need an "Open Fire" at any point, he will intruct me, or himself try to engage the Shilka.

why dont you just add a trigger that sets the leader setcombatmode "blue"; that way he will never fire, no matter what. You could make this toggleable with a radio command (but u need to be the leader of the group then) or just script it so that if leader knowsabout (iskindof "Tank") then set the behaviour

I appreciate all the suggestions.

However isn't this really a bug?.. Surely a pair of soldiers armed with rifles shouldn't even consider attacking a tank!? There must be some code that can be patched somewhere that will stop this. For instance you would never expect a soldier to start firing at a helicopter, unless one of the group has an AA launcher?

yes and no....

AI should be smart enough to not try and fire at a armored tank with their rifles, but then again, maybe its a panic reaction.

Also when i t comes to helis, shooting enough bullets at it will bring it down, even lucky shots can take out the rotor and ofc that brings it down.

But for the armor bit yes i agree, AI should not engage unless they have a small chance of sucess.

Is there anyway to report it, perhaps?

What I mean about Heli's is, from my understanding AI riflemen wont start firing at an airborne chopper.

Is there anyway to report it, perhaps?

Create a ticket.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=102991

What I mean about Heli's is, from my understanding AI riflemen wont start firing at an airborne chopper.

AI should still fire at helis as they are not armored imo.

though chinook is armored in RL they still can get shot down by bullets in game.

And thus AI should fire on them imo.

Is what a US Special Forces soldier seems to think...

Trying to do a sneaking mission, as part of it a pair of soldiers, a leader and the player run through a field when a shilka and BMP-2 drive down the road. Now the Combat mode is stealth, and im instructing hold fire. however the leader thinks it would be prudent to go and engage the tanks with a rifle and subsequently gets mauled in the process.

So, my question is... Is there any way to make an AI soldier a bit more of a pussy when it comes to vehicles/tanks/planes/static?

I can't remember infantry soldiers attacking armor with small arms, apart from some grenades...