Sign in to follow this  
cychou

Increase TOW and AT5 missiles range

No, I read the manufacturer's website. It still doesn't give you any information on the command link. For instance, the Vikhr, which works similarly, is controlled through encoded messages in the laser.

It's either there is a command module in the sight unit or they launch them each time downrange with the missile and they are destroyed each time. This seems stupid.

To settle the Kornet issue for now, stupid or not it works exactly like that. The launching platform doesn't actively track or control the missile post-launch. The only exception to this is that for short period of time, fractions of a second maybe, after exiting the tube the missile is far away from the beam's center and needs to be guided into it. Whether this is required with Kornet I'm not sure, but this is how some other beam-riding missile systems work. After entering the beam the missile then "rides" it home on its own, while the launching unit just has to keep the target in the beam. The beam itself is formed in a way which allows the missile to know where it is in relation to the center(LOS), and the missile then makes the necessary decisions on what corrections are needed without input from the launcher. This comes from a reliable Finnish book on weapons systems, as I wasn't able to find any good internet sources that contain the same information.

The upside of this method is that it's practically immune to jamming from the target as the missile's sensors look backwards, towards the launcher. The biggest downsides are, mainly when it comes to beam-riding A-A or S-A missiles, the missiles non-optimal flightpath and the difficulty of keeping a fast-moving target in the beam.

Sounds like a nice scripting job for Arma :)

Currently when you use the TOW on Bradley, Stryker or Humvee, or AT5 missile (9k113 Konkurs) on BMP3/BTR90 they only have a range of approximately 1700m.

the real range should be 3750m for TOW .

and more than 4km for Konkurs.

Yes, please extend the missile guidance range for the SACLOS weapons in-game.

To settle the Kornet issue for now, stupid or not it works exactly like that. The launching platform doesn't actively track or control the missile post-launch. The only exception to this is that for short period of time, fractions of a second maybe, after exiting the tube the missile is far away from the beam's center and needs to be guided into it. Whether this is required with Kornet I'm not sure, but this is how some other beam-riding missile systems work. After entering the beam the missile then "rides" it home on its own, while the launching unit just has to keep the target in the beam. The beam itself is formed in a way which allows the missile to know where it is in relation to the center(LOS), and the missile then makes the necessary decisions on what corrections are needed without input from the launcher. This comes from a reliable Finnish book on weapons systems, as I wasn't able to find any good internet sources that contain the same information.

The upside of this method is that it's practically immune to jamming from the target as the missile's sensors look backwards, towards the launcher. The biggest downsides are, mainly when it comes to beam-riding A-A or S-A missiles, the missiles non-optimal flightpath and the difficulty of keeping a fast-moving target in the beam.

Sounds like a nice scripting job for Arma :)

This is also what wtfisMIAwhichASAPisKIA was claiming. Do you have a source for that?

This is also what wtfisMIAwhichASAPisKIA was claiming. Do you have a source for that?

A book called Yleinen ase- ja asejärjestelmäopas (2001)

Do you have any source to the contrary?

Yes. Every English source that I've looked at.

Look, I don't doubt that this is true. I'm just looking for a source that *I* can read because I'm interested in it.

I'm afraid you'll have to go with Wiki, the manufacturer's website and Jane's. All the sources Google finds pretty much copy what these three say, except for globalsecurity.org which is completely off the track.

Then there's this, apparently a manufacturer's or designer's website, which has a demo vid on the missile. Unfortunately it's entirely in Russian so I have no idea what's said.

Yeah, I've found all those and like I said the english resources don't really specify how the missile works.