Sign in to follow this  
nordin dk

Episode ii spoiler thread

Ok, just came back from the movie theatre.

I must say that I was rather disappointed. There is a lot of good stuff in the movie, but there is a whole heap of stuff that sabotages the entire movie.

First, the pace of the movie was entirely off. What was cool about the old movies is that they had a laid-back pace. This one was hysterical jumping from one scene to another.

It could have worked if the interaction between the lead actors worked, but it didn't. Anakin & Padme scenes were just plain lame. Anakin & Obi Wan scenes were completly unnatural. The common factor in both cases is Anakin. IMO the number one reason that so many scenes sucked  is that Hayden Christensen (Anakin) can't act. I'll repeat that:

Hayden Christensen can't act.

Ewan McGregor who is otherwise a very good actor was very lame with his attempt of an Alec Guinness impersonation.

Ninja-Yoda sucked too. It was cool that he was in a lightsabre fight, but why the ninja moves?

The story felt also very forced at times:

Why on earth did they feel that they had to make that connection to Boba Fett? They just ruined it. Boba Fett was very cool with his mask and to show him as a kid just ruins it all.

The only really good acting was by Christopher Lee (Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus) and by Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine).

There is a shitload of other things I was annoyed about, but never mind...

Oh, and did I mention that Hayden Christensen can't act.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Oh, and did I mention that Hayden Christensen can't act<span id='postcolor'>

And neither can Mark Hamill. Like father, like son. LOL.

I actually didnt find him that bad. He played the rebellious teenager really well. And was just as whiney as Luke was (Buuut I was going to to Tosche Station to pick up some pooooower converters)

smile.gif

Three more years. Blergh. Why couldnt George take a page from Peter Jackson and make them all three at the same time?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (denoir @ May 19 2002,19:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ok, just came back from the movie theatre.

I must say that I was rather disappointed. There is a lot of good stuff in the movie, but there is a whole heap of stuff that sabotages the entire movie.

First, the pace of the movie was entirely off. What was cool about the old movies is that they had a laid-back pace. This one was hysterical jumping from one scene to another.

It could have worked if the interaction between the lead actors worked, but it didn't. Anakin & Padme scenes were just plain lame. Anakin & Obi Wan scenes were completly unnatural. The common factor in both cases is Anakin. IMO the number one reason that so many scenes sucked  is that Hayden Christensen (Anakin) can't act. I'll repeat that:

Hayden Christensen can't act.

Ewan McGregor who is otherwise a very good actor was very lame with his attempt of an Alec Guinness impersonation.

Ninja-Yoda sucked too. It was cool that he was in a lightsabre fight, but why the ninja moves?

The story felt also very forced at times:

Why on earth did they feel that they had to make that connection to Boba Fett? They just ruined it. Boba Fett was very cool with his mask and to show him as a kid just ruins it all.

The only really good acting was by Christopher Lee (Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus) and by Ian McDiarmid (Palpatine).

There is a shitload of other things I was annoyed about, but never mind...

Oh, and did I mention that Hayden Christensen can't act.<span id='postcolor'>

Hehe Denoir, they can't take away the cynic in you smile.gif

Bleh, I decided to ignore all my usual qualms and embrace the films with all it's quirks and flaws. smile.gif

I think episode IV, V and VI will survive just as long because they are a part of this great storyline.

In the special edition, I found it remarkable how few of the effect that seemed really old to me. The destruction of the deathstar is a bit lame though, compared to the huge battlescenes in Ep.2 for instance. And the "cut'n'paste" explosions of the old films are fun.

Loved how they've done Yoda in Ep.2 completely as cgi.

I always hated his muppety look, but now he looks more alive to me. As I said, I've completely chosen to accept this film as a great. When I'm old, I'll think of the bad things biggrin.gif

Like the halfassed job on the fruit Ani and Padmé share. There the cgi really became too obvious. They should have just used a real fruit attached to some nyloin strings smile.gif

Sith, do you know when the next Zahn book is out? I recently got the follow on from the Trilogy, 'Specter of the past', but I don't have a ETA on the installment after that.

Episode 2 was some great scenes in it. That look in Hayden Christensen's eyes when he was telling her about how he had slaughtered the Tusken Raiders... the music in the back ground... "They were animals and I slaughtered them like animals..." All you can think is 'This kid is going to become Darth Vader'...

And the conversation with Obi Wan and the dealer in the bar. That raised a chortle.

Plus the last scenes, where Palpatine is looking out over the army that will cement his power boarding proto-Star Destroyers. Goosebumps were prickling up all over my skin because I just thought "I've never seen anything like this before... this is epic... this is Star Wars."

Notice how Sidious is standing on the balcony of the half completed Imperial Palace? The plot thickens!

Let me see...

Palpatine/DarthSidious/The Emperor ordered the construction of the clone army.

He then needs to create an enemy in order for him to be granted permission to use his army.

This enemy is the Federation, which is being lured (by Palpatine's accomplice Dooku) into believing that they need independence from the republic.

Palpatine knows that in order for him to use that army, the senate has to grant him supreme powers, and that has to be suggested by someone other that himself.

So he arranges for the assasination (or attempted) or Amidala, knowing that Jar-Jar will be stupid enough to suggest this in the abscense of Amidala.

Final consequence: Palpatine becomes a warlord, a supreme ruler of the republic, he crowns himself emperor.

At some point, he lures Anakin to his side, by convincing him that this is the only way.

Did I get it right, let's see...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ninja-Yoda sucked too. It was cool that he was in a lightsabre fight, but why the ninja moves?

<span id='postcolor'>

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not, hmm?

Hmm. Well, the movie was great and all. I mean, the battle scenes were just to marvelous. But, I have a kind of "Alien 3" / "Highlander 3" feel towards it. I mean, its great they were made but they should have been better.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Badgerboy @ May 19 2002,22:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Episode 2 was some great scenes in it. That look in Hayden Christensen's eyes when he was telling her about how he had slaughtered the Tusken Raiders... the music in the back ground... "They were animals and I slaughtered them like animals..." All you can think is 'This kid is going to become Darth Vader'...<span id='postcolor'>

All you can think is that he tells of how he slaughtered women and children and Padme thinks that he needs a hug... hmm.. interesting moral

Nordin, notice how already Anakin has great respect for the emperor in Ep 2. He defends him quite often and such.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nordin, notice how already Anakin has great respect for the emperor in Ep 2. He defends him quite often and such.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah. That and his rather easy anger and I dont see a fall to the dark side being that long.

I think Denoir is sadly lacking in compassion. wink.gif If your mother had been killed by a bunch of savages...wouldnt you hope the woman you love would show you a little care when you fessed up to hacking them to bits? wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Warin @ May 20 2002,00:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think Denoir is sadly lacking in compassion. wink.gif If your mother had been killed by a bunch of savages...wouldnt you hope the woman you love would show you a little care when you fessed up to hacking them to bits? wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Ehm.. right

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think episode IV, V and VI will survive just as long because they are a part of this great storyline.

In the special edition, I found it remarkable how few of the effect that seemed really old to me. The destruction of the deathstar is a bit lame though, compared to the huge battlescenes in Ep.2 for instance. And the "cut'n'paste" explosions of the old films are fun.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that what was really cool about the old movies was not the action, but the talk during the action. The battle scene in ep2 was just a lot of troops and a lot of laser beams. Sure it looked great, but that's not the point with Starwars. In ep2 the only good classical action was just before Yoda turned into Ninja-Yoda. It was the brief dialog between Yoda and Count Dooku. Now that's classical starwars.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Like the halfassed job on the fruit Ani and Padmé share. There the cgi really became too obvious.<span id='postcolor'>

I think that the worst animations were of Anakin riding that cow in the field. Why on earth did they have that?

I don't know, perhaps I expected too much from this movie. I hoped that it would be as good as the three original. Now, ofcourse I liked ep2, since it is star wars after all. I liked ep1 in the same way, and I think while different they are about the same quality. I can say that I even perhaps prefer Jar-Jar to Hayden Christensen's Anakin. Yes, I hated his performance that much.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think Denoir is sadly lacking in compassion.  If your mother had been killed by a bunch of savages...wouldnt you hope the woman you love would show you a little care when you fessed up to hacking them to bits?<span id='postcolor'>

You forget.....Denoir is a pacifistic weenie. tounge.gif

(j/k)

Imperial March at the end really gave me a chill. So did seeing all of the troops being produced and progressively trained in the clone labs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 20 2002,07:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You forget.....Denoir is a pacifistic weenie. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

nuke.jpg

wink.gif

Don't u get it people? It was all the part of the plot and the story! That is why they selected the guy who can't act for shit to play Anakin! And all the scenes with him are also pretty bad for the same reason!! You suppose to hate him!!! Really really hate him!! That's the whole point!!! But I totally lovbed him!!! And now I completely understand why he chosen to join the dark side! I would've done exactly the same!! And I would've killed Obi Wan way before Episode 4!!

Damn!!! I totally loved that movie!!!

Anakin wasnt strong enough to kill obi before episode 4, thats why hell fell into the lava. And yes, i would have also joined the dark side, and killed all those sandpeople. Then the jawa's, and the bantha's, the dewbacks, ect....

What I DON'T get is why Owen and Beru (sp?) dont recognise C3P0 and R2D2 in the fourth movie. They have lived with C3P0 for several years. They met R2D2 under pretty extreme circumstances. Why would they forget about that and not know the two droids a couple of years later on?

Why didn't Yoda push away Kenobi and Anakin when the pillar fell, and then fuck up the bad guy, instead of playing with the heavy pillar?

Why didn't the bad guy fuck up Yoda when he was playing with the pillar?

Why does Yoda walk like a cripple but fight like a drugged up version of Neo in "Matrix"?

Why the heck did Jango Fett die in such a sissy way? And why is he playing Indiana Jones behind the bad-guys back?

Why don't Anakin and Kenobi use jedi mind tricks in the arena to control the guards? Kenobi is supposed to be a powerful jedi and he uses mind tricks all over the place, why not there?

And why do not lightsabers burn holes in the ground when they are pushed down, and held down, during duels?

Why would any sane jedi council NOT see that Anakin is a severly farked up individual. He does EVERYTHING the opposite way a jedi would and should. He is clearly not jedi material. So what if he has many metacloriansisunsuysys things, he is the most unstable character ever in a Star Wars movie. Han Solo was more stable than he is.

And please, oh please, can't someone burn Jar Jar out of the movies and replace him with...anything else? Like Kermit the frog, he would be better than Jar Jar atleast.

1. Cause C3PO changed colour and R2D2 well the only saw him for couple of momnets

2. If Yoda acted like real Jedi he should've left thos two to be crushed and stopped Dooku!! Duty above all!!!!

3. Same reason as above

4. Its all part of his disguise! You never expect crippled green dwarf to kick your arse, do you?

5. Well he had to die, and I reckon it was a pretty cool death!!!

6. I didn't get it either! Might be the creatures! Mind tricks don't work on them!

7. Hmm..... never really looked at it

8. They are dumb!!! Thast movie showed that all Jedi are fuking stupid if they fell into Sidious trap!!!! Sith are damn smart!!! And young Jedi have IQ under 20!!!!

I think that the only way Lucas can redeem himself is by letting us see Portman get shagged next episode. smile.gif

"1. Cause C3PO changed colour and R2D2 well the only saw him for couple of momnets"

So? The name is the same, as is the voice. Who would forget an annoying, whiny attitude like C3P0 has?

"4. Its all part of his disguise! You never expect crippled green dwarf to kick your arse, do you?"

If he was in disquise he shouldnt go around letting people know he is a jedi master. Everyone knows he is a badass with a lightsaber anyway, so, trying to hide it wouldnt really work?

"8. They are dumb!!! Thast movie showed that all Jedi are fuking stupid if they fell into Sidious trap!!!! Sith are damn smart!!! And young Jedi have IQ under 20!!!! "

Which is my point. Jedis are suppose to be all wise and cunning and such, and they fail to see many of these things coming? Please. Also, no sane combatant would enter the arena when surrounded by enemies. He would stay up where the crowd was seated, where he has cover.

"Which once again proves that Jedi's are fuking stupid!!!!!!!"

Or that the people responsible for the two latest movies are wink.gif

Longinius, i also picked up on the Owen and Beru thing

And as for yoda, well tis quite obvious...

He's got some kind of an insurance scam going, claiming benefits and such. So he needs to make sure no one knows that he can actually to a quadruple backflip, else the payments might stop coming in biggrin.gif

If I where yoda, i wouldnt have thrown that f*****g girder at dooku's ship as he was trying to get away, then cut his balls off while he was trying to catch it.