Sign in to follow this  
Dysentery

Getting 100 percent usage on my cpus?

Hi.. I'm getting a ton of video lag in arma 2 oa. I have intel core i7 x980 @ 3.33ghz. I think I have 6 of those processors. I have 2 ati 5970s. I was trying to figure out why and looking at the processor graphs in the task manager. I noticed they rarely go above 70 or 80 percent. My buddy told me to disable hyper threading and I did that and I still have the lag. Like if I spin my character around in place on max settings I get EXTREMELY bad lag. So I'm assuming its the processors not working at 100%.. So does anybody know how I can fix this and get these processors all working at 100% in arma 2 oa?

Try setting "video memory" to "default" under advanced settings, it worked for me as I was experiencing similar issues.

Try setting "video memory" to "default" under advanced settings, it worked for me as I was experiencing similar issues.

That pretty much fixed the spinning around lag and a lot of the problem.. but still I check my graphs in the task manager and none of my cpus r going more than 80 percent and I'm still getting low frame rates and too much video lag.. You made it better thanks but does anyone know how to get cpus to 100 percent?

Having the CPU runnin at 100% is pretty easy, just start Prime95 before starting the ArmA 2. But make soure you read this before.

Myke;1891268']Having the CPU runnin at 100% is pretty easy' date=' just start Prime95 before starting the ArmA 2. But make soure you read this before.

Is there a tutorial for that.. I don't know what I'm doing.

Mate, it was a joke. Prime95 is a benchmark software to check stability of a overclocked CPU. It will put any CPU at 100%.

What i said, you never will reach 100% cpu usage in a game (except the developer has inserted some crude code to mimic it) as you can't parallelize the threads so much. They always relate to each other more or less. So it is quite common that a thread (and therefor the core it's runnin on) has to wait for calculation results from another thread before it can continue. This wait time make it look idle but it isn't....at least not the way you mean.

Put 4 guys next to each other and give each a paper with math. As long the maths can be solved independently, each guy can work at 100%. Now make every second math rely on the result of another math from one of the other guys and disallow skipping...what happens?

Pretty simplified (and probably horribly described by me but i hope you get the point) but it shows the main problem.

soo no solution with the system I have besides overclocking it.? the cpus not good enough..? I also use gbooster to shut down background processes.

You wont get more usage, regardless of CPU clock. There is nothing broken so nothing to fix.

As above in what [GLT]Myke said, nothing broken, nothing to be fixed. CPU should not be running at 100% at all times, that's not good. But try out prime 95 and see how your CPU is working. There should be an tutorial on youtube or what not.. Also try out ArmA OA benchmark and see what kind of FPS you are getting.

As above in what [GLT]Myke said, nothing broken, nothing to be fixed. CPU should not be running at 100% at all times, that's not good. But try out prime 95 and see how your CPU is working. There should be an tutorial on youtube or what not.. Also try out ArmA OA benchmark and see what kind of FPS you are getting.

Well the thing that's not working is I'm not getting enough frames to play arma on max settings much of the time. Just wondering with my computer if thats what should be happening or not. I have an alienware area 51 alx with the cpu and graphics cards mentioned earlier.. I'm gonna check out those programs when I get the time. Everyone else in game is saying theyre getting 60 frames.. i should be getting better than they are.

Edited by Dysentery

Just wondering with my computer if thats what should be happening or not.

Its the game, and its not a really a problem of the game itself, just something inherent to multithreaded games. Dont worry about it.

Hmm strange.. I have a Q6600 at stock and it never goes above 80% usage on all CPUs.

I use RivaTuner 2.24 to be able to see CPU temperatures on all cores and see their usage along with GPU core temperature and fan speed in-game using an overlay. I don't know if it works on AMD graphics cards.

Getting your CPU at 100% is probably not the goal and not even desired and I fully understand the reasons/logic why not. But I for example am getting 40-55% CPU usage (never seen above 60%) on average and game performance is CPU limited at the same time so I wouldn't dare to say there's nothing to fix :)

your focusing on the wrong end of things, the fact that your cpu is only utilizing 70 80 % is actually good, and the lower it is the better... to get better frames you need to look at what kind of GPU you have (video card)

Post your specs and hardware also post your settings in game

Edited by ScareCroweb

What are you talking about? In A2 to get better frames ( i take that means better fps) cpu is the main contributing factor. And the low cpu usage is not good when fps is low.

Myke earlier explained quite well what is the cause of this... it got me thinking...

Have you guys with quads tried running a dedicated server with 2 cores and playing with the remaining 2 cores? Would that be any more efficient?

Well the thing that's not working is I'm not getting enough frames to play arma on max settings much of the time. Just wondering with my computer if thats what should be happening or not. I have an alienware area 51 alx with the cpu and graphics cards mentioned earlier.. I'm gonna check out those programs when I get the time. Everyone else in game is saying theyre getting 60 frames.. i should be getting better than they are.

I don't understand why it has always be maxed out. This is pure nonsense. With your rig, i'm sure you should be able to play with high to very high settings, probably reducing viewdistance to somehwat lower than 10000 will already give you a good boost.

FYI, the following settings rely on the CPU: Viewdistance, terraindetail & objectdetail. If playing with the viewdistance slider gives direct reactions on the FPS, then it is clear, your CPU does limit.

Do you have 2 5970 in crossfire? Is ur arma 1.59?

Yes.

Myke;1891779']I don't understand why it has always be maxed out. This is pure nonsense. With your rig' date=' i'm sure you should be able to play with high to very high settings, probably reducing viewdistance to somehwat lower than 10000 will already give you a good boost.

FYI, the following settings rely on the CPU: Viewdistance, terraindetail & objectdetail. If playing with the viewdistance slider gives direct reactions on the FPS, then it is clear, your CPU does limit.[/quote']

What do you mean why it has to be maxed out.. because I want the highest graphics settings in my game to make it better. I am getting fps where it is unplayable at times and I shouldn't be thats the problem. Other people on ts say they are getting 60 frames.. i should be getting more than them.

What do you mean why it has to be maxed out.. because I want the highest graphics settings in my game to make it better.

So you've got your view distance right across at 10000? There probably isn't a machine available today that can handle that smoothly but there will be in a year or two so it was well worth adding to a title with the longevity of ArmA, it's called future-proofing. For now you'll have to dial it down.

@Dysentery

What is your FPS when you Benchmark in OA? So we can see what kind of FPS we are talking about here. That 60 FPS that your talking about is not an stay at number, it jump's around as you play the game. Do an Benchmark in OA and tell us what you got, then we can take it from there. Iv gots an GTX 570 and an E8400 OC at 3.8Ghz and im getting nice FPS, when Benching in OA it's about in the 40s.

i have a 5970+5870 and could not play with the 1.59 patch...for some reason crossfire would stop working them the fps would go to half. So i reinstall the game and patch again with 1.57 plus beta 77706 so i can have atoc that looks good! Now is working very good! Crossfire is working good all most the same % for the 3 gpus.

I play all very high, default for video memory and low for aa. solid 60 fps.But i use -winxp

What do you mean why it has to be maxed out.. because I want the highest graphics settings in my game to make it better. I am getting fps where it is unplayable at times and I shouldn't be thats the problem. Other people on ts say they are getting 60 frames.. i should be getting more than them.

Oh i see, it is a "mine is bigger than yours" problem. As already stated, there is no machine actually available that would be able to run ArmA 2 with all maxed out settings. Either those "60FPS dudes" are either lying or they play with lower settings, namely viewdistance.

So turn down from "very high" to "high", turn down viewdistance and problem is solved. In fact, and please don't take it as offense, the problem is not your PC but your attitude. Get away from the idea "there is a "very high" option so i want to have it".

However, as there is no real existing problem i'm out.

Myke;1892483']Oh i see' date=' it is a "mine is bigger than yours" problem. As already stated, there is no machine actually available that would be able to run ArmA 2 with all maxed out settings. Either those "60FPS dudes" are either lying or they play with lower settings, namely viewdistance.

So turn down from "very high" to "high", turn down viewdistance and problem is solved. In fact, and please don't take it as offense, the problem is not your PC but your attitude. Get away from the idea "there is a "very high" option so i want to have it".

However, as there is no real existing problem i'm out.[/quote']

Well Said, I'm out too

I agree with mike and scarecrow here. But i would like to add one thing for your sake. When you buy 2 x 5970's and slap them in crossfire you expect every game to run at 60+ fps. You dont always get what you pay for mate.

Some games are not optimised, and dont mention crysis here as it is optimised for the GPU manufacturer that pays to be marketed there.

In my opinion arma2 likes a high frequency on the CPU and a strong single GPU card.

Unless you're flying in an aircraft at altitude, or having long range tank or artillery battles in the middle of a desert, having the view distance slider greater than 1600 (the default setting) is pointless during infantry ground operations. All it does is chew up valuable framerates. I keep my "Anti Aliasing" at normal and "Ansiotropic Filtering" and "Textures" at very high. Everything else I keep at normal except "Post Processing" which I turn down to "very Low" because all it does IMO is blur things. Shadows I keep at "High".

Playing the game at 1680*1080 native resolution with the above settings is very enjoyable for me.