Sign in to follow this  
weaponsfree

Convince Friends to Play Arma. Which videos do it best?

I suspect many OFP and Arma fans have tried to convince friends to try the game at some point, only to watch their eyes glaze over as you describe the non-COD gameplay. I found a few threads on the subject.

But in my case I am looking for the best videos that sell the game.

And I don't mean some of the truly excellent cinematic videos, with slowmotion, and music and massive editing. Those are great in a more aesthetic or cinematic sense, but I am looking for the raw gameplay videos that have exciting moments but that don't mislead viewers as to what the gameplay really is.

A lot of the videos on youtube show gameplay, but they don't sell it as well as it should for players used to COD style shooting galleries. I often hear "I didn't see the bad guy", "Who is shooting at you?" "Why are those tanks so far away?" "All I see are tracers" etc.

Here are some that I have used before to sell the gameplay.

Here is an example of an excellent cinematic video (thanks blomsterdreng80) that sells the game, but that does not show the raw first person combat experience that I want to sell:

http://www.youtube.com/user/blomsterdreng80#p/a/50CFD2E090634BD4/1/WLmHrxfpScY

If anyone has some good vids that show that Arma can be truely exciting, terrifying and rewarding in it's own way, it will help in getting some more guys onboard.

Thanks!

Edited by WeaponsFree

It seems like the videos that show the least amount of actual gameplay seem to have the best effect for some reason. Lots of explosion and vehicles firing seem to do it. Of course then they actually buy the game and are disappointed ;)

But seriously, the actual gameplay is very hard to show, because there is a lot of information that you cannot show in the video like the general mission plan, general situation and layout, location of teammates and enemies that you can't see directly in the video, etc.

You can check out my youtube videos, but they're really not all the best at actually "selling" the game because they show actual gameplay "as-is", meaning I was first thing playing, recording it and uploading it was just a side-effect.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=C944E4AAFD6FA507

Edited by galzohar

kZc0mwTbgwI

And here's raw gameplay from one of my missions:

Yep Village Battle is a favourite of mine and everything by Chazz_BMF/Blomsterdreng80 is great. I think one of the best promotional videos would be the A&S ProMode Trailer:

do-kJf5MoYQ

I got just what You need. The question is... can You stand a foreign language?

Our Combat Camera team channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ARMA2ACPLCSC

Some of the coolest ones (action-packed):

If You'll watch all the video parts or just wander around through other videos You'll find more usual stuff like walking, driving, more walking and sometime's even watching the probably-very-dangerous forest. Various units, ranging from Poles to BAF, various tempo and teamplay oriented coop gameplay. Rawr.

Mainly ACE, most of the videos - ACRE, some missions include 3rd party addons

Edited by JonPL

Download JSRS and show them what's like to take suppressing fire from a couple machinegunners. That'll show them how feeble all those other supposedly cinematic shooters are.

assorted gameplay from some of my adventures :cool:

7wQH-cajsrs

Kr-Sj1c5QJA

BQV46EtIjIQ

U8X6cCoL6jY

grAHW6-Y1H0

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

:D i try to convince my bets mate to play arma with me scince arma 1 came out. ill check these videos and try again!

Zipper, you n99blet:

I am looking for the raw gameplay videos that have exciting moments but that don't mislead viewers as to what the gameplay really is.

Zipper, you n99blet:

In which case, I've never had any success coaxing friends into playing Arma 2 based on raw gameplay alone. COD generation. :rolleyes:

Yeah thats a great video by Lithos but does exagerate the average game which would ultimately dissapoint anyone expecting that everytime.

I tend to sell the scale of ARMA which is the main difference with all the other shooters.

Maybe try this vid:

O8Ghw4n7tIA&feature=channel_video_title

Its also hard to explain that ARMA is so open that each mission determines the gameplay and they can be totally different.

Edited by EDcase

I was browsing Youtube for ArmA2 videos a while ago and came across this one which I thought was pretty good:

krLtYiChXS8

I tried to convince my friend about the game. Showed him many videos spoke to him about the mission editor and so on and he didn't like it. he comes to my house I make a small mission where he's a rabbit and everyone around him is killing each other. He was so amazed he buys the game

The Arma community never lets you down. I checked out some of them, but will take the time to over the rest asap. I have two guys at work who are ripe for a change. One said "I wish we could play Company of Heroes as a grunt FPS style". To which I answered "Have I got the game for you".

Still it can be hard. I've literally only convinced 2 friends to buy it and actually play with me. The rest just don't have the right gaming interests. To convince one guy, I had to build a custom mission that showcased some of the cool stuff in arma, and it worked. So maybe videos + good trial version will do the trick with my work friends. I'll let you know if a video helped add one gamer to the community.

Thanks again everyone, and if you have more videos, I always enjoy looking at em!

joe's helicopter tutorial ... google it ;)

Gais.

I am looking for the raw gameplay videos that have exciting moments but that don't mislead viewers as to what the gameplay really is.