Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 79600

what have been changed regarding colour team control BTW

what have been changed regarding colour team control BTW

Quicker access and assign :

Ctrl+F1 (example) assigns unit to team read (F1-F5 : Red-White) so you pick the unit(s) you want to assign to a group then hit ctrl+ F1-F5

Shift+F1 calls team red , shift+F5 team white ..

much better then doing space,9,9,1 to select team red :)

I think you asked about that?!

I'd like to assign my men to a team in editor some day.

Quicker access and assign :

Ctrl+F1 (example) assigns unit to team read (F1-F5 : Red-White) so you pick the unit(s) you want to assign to a group then hit ctrl+ F1-F5

Shift+F1 calls team red , shift+F5 team white ..

much better then doing space,9,9,1 to select team red :)

I think you asked about that?!

Might be a noob question but is it possible to change the key-mapping for calling the different teams? Because I couldn't find this key @ ingame options. (Sorry for asking this in the beta-section of the forum as it doesn't belong to the new beta patch!)

After a few test it seems BI have finally tackle the formation problem, unit seems will close the gap where the assigned colour team leaving the formation and away from the rest of the squad

However The current system still feel twichy, I understand that someone get used to the OFP ways of shift+F(1-5) keys to assign team, however I always feel that it is excessive waste movement to hold the shift key as generally when I assign a fire team I want to move the team as a group 90% of the time, wouldn't that be more reasonable to simply just press one key(assigned team leader) to select the hold team then double tab or shift+F(1-10) keys to select a single unit?

Also IMO, fire team should be sorted under their assigned team leader and removed from the first layer of the team member list, they should retain their numbers but their icon should only pop-up when double-tab or shift+(F1-10)keys to bring up their member list. Just to make sure that people knows what assets is in that fire team, it would be even better to add an icon or simply a key word(i.e AT, AA, MG, AR etc) at the side of the team icon. Thay way the system should work like High command, only on a squad level.

P.S: I know I should have post this on suggestion thread and that I might hijacked this thread, but since I have already posted something look alike in the interface related topic there a lomg time ago and seems not many people pay attention to it, plus the fact that I am not sure if anyone would like the idea and if it even work, which might lead to a beta patch as well, I think I should bring this up here again. Sorry if this is bothering anyone...

Edited by 4 IN 1
typo, hate the IPhone

When i get in to a Btr-60 as a driver and change the view to external, the camera will be like embossed lens, everything look like stretched.

Might be a noob question but is it possible to change the key-mapping for calling the different teams? Because I couldn't find this key @ ingame options. (Sorry for asking this in the beta-section of the forum as it doesn't belong to the new beta patch!)

I think this is "hard coded" ? If you can call it like that. I don't think you can change the keys for that.

@4in1

I think this is a good way to assign and call the different colored teams. if u press shift+F1 , you call team red, does it really matter if they are mixed in the units tab in your screen? i really don't care about that. All i know is, this is a good and quick way to command and assign different groups.

Allow me to go deeper here:

The mindset behind all these ranting is that there is still too many buttom smashing and stuff to care about for simple, big things. Team assigning is something that you really have to think of and take time on, how the team will be make of, what capacity the team will have, there is no escape for that, Ctrl+F 1-5 after going through a long list of soldier selecting the needed unit is good idea. The problem starts when you try to order your team. Like I said, you generally want to order your team as a hold 90% of time, just like you will do IRL, if this is the case, why make life difficult for having to pressing shift key every time? You can save that shift key for more complex things.

Now when you are fighting in a battle, a tank or APC suddently show up, chances are, that you have forgot where you put your AT guy, or that you don't know if the guy you are looking for is dead or not, by sorting them under 1 big icon and show the capacity of that team with a small icon or key word at the side will just save you from having to go down that long list of who is who and what can do to check if that guy is still there. Now when I want to do some micro managing on a single unit in a single team, I will have to go with more complex control, like double tabing the F 1-5 keys to bring up the full member list and select him with shift+F keys and give my orders.

Again, what it is about is how efficient you can get your team to work. Take away things that may get into your way and slows you down, increase your situation awareness on things that is important to make correct orders, make that 90% of time simple to understand and work with, then think about more complex stuff and control when you want to micro management, just so that you can get simple things done an extra micro-secound faster when big things is happening. This is what I am looking for here.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Hm. I do understand, but i can press Shift+F2 really quick , and i don't know how it looks for you, for me Unit 3 (F3) has "AT" in the icon so i know he is assigned to blue team and he is an AT guy..if i want him back to default(white i select him and hit ctrl+F5.

i use space to select all most of the time like you said, 90% i have them around me. But when flankgin a position i let medic fall back team red flank left 2 times, team blue flank right to times and there u go.

but i think this is not the right spot for discussing this so lets just stop that before mod comes into play :)

Allow me to go deeper here:

The mindset behind all these ranting is that there is still too many buttom smashing and stuff to care about for simple, big things. Team assigning is something that you really have to think of and take time on, how the team will be make of, what capacity the team will have, there is no escape for that, Ctrl+F 1-5 after going through a long list of soldier selecting the needed unit is good idea. The problem starts when you try to order your team. Like I said, you generally want to order your team as a hold 90% of time, just like you will do IRL, if this is the case, why make life difficult for having to pressing shift key every time? You can save that shift key for more complex things.

Now when you are fighting in a battle, a tank or APC suddently show up, chances are, that you have forgot where you put your AT guy, or that you don't know if the guy you are looking for is dead or not, by sorting them under 1 big icon and show the capacity of that team with a small icon or key word at the side will just save you from having to go down that long list of who is who and what can do to check if that guy is still there. Now when I want to do some micro managing on a single unit in a single team, I will have to go with more complex control, like double tabing the F 1-5 keys to bring up the full member list and select him with shift+F keys and give my orders.

Again, what it is about is how efficient you can get your team to work. Take away things that may get into your way and slows you down, increase your situation awareness on things that is important to make correct orders, make that 90% of time simple to understand and work with, then think about more complex stuff and control when you want to micro management, just so that you can get simple things done an extra micro-secound faster when big things is happening. This is what I am looking for here.

I think it should stay the way it is. I use individual soldiers more commonly than I do groups because I don't trust the AI to do things themselves in tight situations. I also like to tell my AT guys to target things directly instead of ordering entire fire teams to do it. The way it is presently, in the non-beta patch, is fine I think. I don't have the beta but was reading here so maybe with the next version I won't like it but either way I don't think your idea would save on productivity.

Not sure if this is related to this beta or the game in general, but after playing for about 45 minutes in a custom mission, the game alt-tabbed out on its own and refused to come back up. I could still hear sounds but no window/video. Had to manually close the task in Task Manager.

I've had that unfortunate problem, too. Ctrl+shift+num minus+FLUSH brings the game back up, but the game's performance is crap until the computer is restarted.

I've had that problem of game "minimising" and refusing to come back up again and hearing the sounds and people reporting in multiplayer that I'm still playing "normally". I found out that its my graphics driver crashing and recovering by looking into my windows logs after this happens. Running on nvidia GTX460 and it did happen on my old 8800GTS too.

Edit: And I dont even have the latest beta installed. Has happened to me probably on every version of OA at least.

Yeah, I've had similar things happen with driver crashes in the past. The reason why it doesn't run properly until the machine is restarted has to do with SLI disabling itself after the crash. Annoying, as I've never had the issue with any other application other than ArmA2.

In this day and age, do you really need SLI?

A HD5850 for example will play the game brilliantly on high settings. I have found ARMA2 to be more limiting on the CPU as a general rule.

Maybe not, but I don't have the money to spend on replacement when I've already got a decent rig.

And again, the only app I've ever seen do this is ArmA2/OA, and I play or have played dozens of games on this same exact hardware set.

Im having the same issue with the minimizing to desktop, and FLUSH cheat brings it back up.

I remember this was discussed before, cant remember where tho and if it was supposed to be fixed.

When i get in to a Btr-60 as a driver and change the view to external, the camera will be like embossed lens, everything look like stretched.

Been like that for a long time... since OA of even before, not sure why this has not been fix... so easy... BI!?

---------- Post added at 03:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:15 AM ----------

Maybe not, but I don't have the money to spend on replacement when I've already got a decent rig.

And again, the only app I've ever seen do this is ArmA2/OA, and I play or have played dozens of games on this same exact hardware set.

No other game has anywhere near the same complexity.

No other game has anywhere near the same complexity.

Overall? True.

In terms of graphical quality? Disagree.

This is a driver/video issue, and there are plenty of other games that are much more GPU-intensive that do not have the same issue.

I read somewhere that you need to also enable camera shake. Do a search. Someone was talking about this thing.

for gods sake please improve the AI driving in formation and collision detection with objects in the next beta. i cant get 10 meters far and the AI is stuck on a tree or anything else:(