Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

The "Interesting Questions about the Game" thread, according to Instagoat

It would be great if in Arma 2 future patch they gave us a ToH Pilot Game logic/module allowing ToH players to join specificly built Arma2/ToH MpMissions as heli pilots only and "plug in" for coop teamwork.

@Bis,Game looks great.I know of 2 copies you'll sell...

Hmmm...... Vietnam mod......Slinging loads of arty shells from one FSB to another.:)

It would be great if in Arma 2 future patch they gave us a ToH Pilot Game logic/module allowing ToH players to join specificly built Arma2/ToH MpMissions as heli pilots only and "plug in" for coop teamwork.)

I posted same idea. Just imagining a sesion with Arma (being infantry sim) and TOH (chopper sim) together makes me hard:D

Sam

I don't think that will ever happen. Different engines, probably not even possible

Well it might not happen in a near future but maybe we can hope ArmA 3 will work this way.

In my opinion there's no need for BIS to lurke at the CoD players, they will never enjoy arma. You can have the best physics, the best graphics, the best whatever, arma is a simulation thus it will never be appealing for this kind of gamers. Some people like sims, others like arcade games.

So the best option to gather more players is to aim at those who will like your game, in this case the simmers. Right now ArmA is only offering a credible experience from the soldier POV. If they succeed to extend this level of realism to every vehicles ingame, they will gain a lot of players.

So ArmA 3 could be a modular game, you would buy the core, ArmA 3, infantry based. Then you could buy DLC/expansions with fixed/rotary wings, armored vehicles,...

Edited by Macadam Cow

Hm, I too am a bit skeptical about this announcement.

Being a big fan of the DCS series as well as Arma, I felt that Arma always had its strength in the large quantity of playable vehicles with medium fidelity.

DCS always has a single playable platform with absolute fidelity.

BIS decision to do a narrow category game took me by surprise, especially a civil one.

Coming from DCS Blackshark I can say there are only so many things you could meaningfully do with a whirlybird and after a while it got boring.

And thats for BlackShark, which had all the switches, computers and stuff fully modeled, and vikhrs to boot !

I hope for BIS that this title will be a success, although honestly I doubt it.

Still ready to be pleasantly surprised here ;)

Just my 0.02€

Crusader

Surely you are joking. I have DCS Blackshark and was disapointed. It flies realistically, but I can only handle so much hunter/killer stuff. As a real helicopter pilot, I can tell you that no two flights are the same. There is always a new challenge or activity or set of conditions. It never gets boring. The only real problems are timing your potty breaks with fuel stops, and the sore back from those uncomfortable seats. This game has the potential to be great, but there is a big gap to fall into if they shoot too low.

Iwant to see the following in the game as well:

1. Mapp:Drag and Drop Idefinently want to be able to drop a refuel depo
    anyware on the map,to save me from running out of fuel!

I want to be able to hover Steady in gusty winds.

I want a better Real weather update than MSFS.

I want to have a liferaft and Vest in case i go down at sea:butbut:

I want the co-pilot to have a set of monoculars.

I want the helicopter to be able to carry stretcher.And Attendant.

I want to be able to transport a Real Family (you can use Poser 10 to design

them,see youtube.)

I want to be able to design my own maps.

I want Loong training flight,longer than in MSFS.and easely be able to add to

your`s with a click of a mouse.;)

I want 3D pilots that has hitboxes,in case they get shot in Arma 3.

Maybe a Aerial Refuling Tanker for military helicopters?

You can use "Augumented Reality" and a webcam to make us able to make adjustments to the intruments with `real hands`right onto the instruments themselves on the Dash.See youtube.;)

It would be cool if one could use autopilot and work as the Rescue Swimmer as well,in SP.:)

My 2 cent for now. tnx John

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

What about a easy way to change the colour of the sand,briteness of the sun,wind according to reality and an easy way to change airports to look like Australia or something and `reuse`the map?Making it like flying in AntarticA by

making it bright white and a layer of icebergs?

What about drag and drop strait into Arm2,adding CAS in mission by Modules and logicmodule?

Why don`t you try to make a buck and adding real,flyable helicopters in Modern Warfare 3 MP?!

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

What if you show us you`re additions to the various Versions of the helicopters:

The Miniguns of the military versions of MD500 and FX soo that we can choose

what we prefer in a video+poll.

Show us firefighting from the air.Or Logging.Let us be able to make precision manuvers.

Stuntflying is cool! Or Vet`s darting from the air.

Include a Paint Kit so that we can change the Paintwork of the helicopters.Add some of the real emblems like USMC Red Cross on Huey from Vietnam or Police

units.Nasa paintwork as well.

Edited by John1000

When we first announced Take On Helicopters, a lot of interesting questions were quickly raised by the community. This nebulous number of floating queries soon collapsed under their own weight to form one post.

Dunno if they´ll be answered, but at least it could spark some interesting conversation about what the game will, and what it won´t be.

Next week, we hope to update our blog with a full set of answers to the questions, but, for now, here's just three to get us going.

And don't even think about trying to edit the list now. We're watching you. High above. In our Helicopter. Watching. Waiting. Judging.

Best,

RiE

Will there be distinct characters in the campaign, and a story attached to them?

• Primarily, you'll be taking on (edit: this might not be the last time I deploy this phrase) the role of Tom Larkin, but his brother - a combat pilot during the South Asia conflict - also has some interesting stories to tell...
  • While the central story is based around these two brothers, there are a number of other characters, who act as conduits to other stories and gameplay. On your heliport, you'll meet your business and security managers quite early on, who - later in the story - may offer up interesting or unique side missions.
  • This underlying gameplay structure alone has taken a considerable amount of work to implement, and represents a new way of progressing though the story than you may have seen in our previous projects.

Will characters be drawn in first person, and will they be animated as they operate the helicopter? (This is opposed to the empty pits [...] where the pilot body is not rendered)

• We're hard at work on this right now. We can confirm that - if you have a co-pilot - he'll be there and animated, such as pointing in the direction of your task or flicking a switch; however, even the co-pilot will not likely have moving flight controls. As for the player, integrating 6-DOF and mapping animations to the players range of movements provides some challenges, which we're certainly still evaluating.
  • What we can say is that when you interact with the collective, pedals, or cyclic, these models respond visually to your inputs. In pre-flight, you can even see the angle of the blades change as you alter the collective.
  • Besides animation complexities, another reason to not show the pilot's body is blocking view of critical instruments for the player. We're still evaluating this feature, so we wouldn't like to rule anything out at this stage of development.

Will there be city hazards, such as telephone and electrical wires running between buildings, power lines, street lights, trees, etc.?

• Trees will certainly be a hazard, and have proven rather annoying to several developers still learning to fly...
  • Also, as power lines are a serious risk to helicopter pilots, we plan to feature these as best we can.
  • The visual damage state of the helicopter will be impacted by collisions, including rotor blades snaps and even losing your entire tail.

---

and because we can't even keep our own developers on a leash... :rolleyes:

How will the ME differ from the one shipped with OFP/Arma?

Extended functionality of SCRIPTED type waypoints is playing significant role in Take On Helicopters editor improvements. You'll be able to define your own waypoints in config and set scripted functionality for them - basically wrapping current the SCRIPTED waypoint into more user-friendly feature.

• More advanced modules and waypoints will be included.
  • For example, you can give a helicopter special waypoints with functionality integrated, such as formation flight, sling-load, timed-flight, etc.
  • We plan that the community can define their own, which can be plugged straight in to the editor.

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

[*] We're hard at work on this right now. We can confirm that - if you have a co-pilot - he'll be there and animated, such as pointing in the direction of your task or flicking a switch; however, even the co-pilot will not likely have moving flight controls. As for the player, integrating 6-DOF and mapping animations to the players range of movements provides some challenges, which we're certainly still evaluating.

[*] What we can say is that when you interact with the collective, pedals, or cyclic, these models respond visually to your inputs. In pre-flight, you can even see the angle of the blades change as you alter the collective.

[*] Besides animation complexities, another reason to not show the pilot's body is blocking view of critical instruments for the player. We're still evaluating this feature, so we wouldn't like to rule anything out at this stage of development.

]

Ok. I have an issue with parts of this statement. I want to make sure that I completely understand what you are saying though before I go off throwing a fit.

My understanding of this is: You will have a copilot at times, and he can move and point and flick switches, but he won't have moving flight controls? However, the pilot WILL have moving flight controls. I don't understand how this would be difficult to render. Dual controls in aircraft are linked. Generally, one set is the master which is linked to the actual aircraft controls and the other set is linked to the master via cables and or push pull tubes and bellcranks. When you move one, you move the other. It's physically impossible to move one set of controls without the other set moving, unless of course there is a break in the control link somewhere, in which case you have a BIG problem. I will be very annoyed if I have one set of controls that moves in game while the other set remains stationary. That would detract ALOT of realism. Also, I have been kind of hoping that you guys would offer shared cockpit for mulitplayer purposes. If you were to implement something like this, you would need to have dual sets of moving controls.

If I had a copilot who did not fly the ship, I would not mind. He doesn't need to have hands on moving the controls. He can sit there and keep his hands in his lap and feet on the floor as far as I am concerned. If he is animated to point and flip a few switches, that's cool too. But PLEASE, for realisms sake, tell me that his controls will move as mine do, even if he is not touching them!

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

Also, I have a question about blade angle change and tip-path-plane change.

In a helicopter, when you move the cyclic OR collective, you get pitch changes. Not just the collective. Now, the collective changes the pitch of BOTH blades the same amount simultaneously (or collectively, thats why it's called a collective). The cyclic changes the pitch of of the blades at a certain point in its cycle (thats why its called a cyclic). To break it down even further, the cyclic and collective are linked to the swashplate, which has a stationary half and a rotating half. The linkages that the pilots move are attached to the stationary half. They change the angle of the swashplate (imaging holding a dish and tilting it an an agle) this also changes the angle of the rotating portion which is attached to pitch change links that are attached to the rotor blade hubs. The swashplate can tilt any which way, and it can also slide up and down the mast. When the pilot pulls or lowers collective, the swashplate moves up and down, changing pitch of both blades at the same time. When the pilot moves the cyclic it tilts the swashplate in a direction. As the pilot uses both, the swashplate is going up and down and tilting this way and that as the pilot moves the controls. The effect is that the blades react to this as they spin around. Imagine your spinning blades as a dish. As the pilot pushes foreward on the cyclic, the swashplate tilts, which changes the pitch of the blades in their rotation and the end effect is that the blade disk (your dish) tilts foreward. This changes the vector of air being drawn into the rotorsystem and the helicopter begins to move foreward. Another thing the blades do is cone (angle up from the root to the tips as weight or upward force is applied to the system). When the helicopter is sitting stationary on the ground, centrifugal force is pulling the blade tips straight out. When you apply pitch, the weight of the helicopter versus the lift that is being produced by the blades will cause them to cone, or tilt upward from the root.

My point to all this is: The pilot can visibly see the blade disk move as he pitches the cyclic. In fact, it's part of the pre takeoff check. You must move your cyclic gently around a bit and make sure that the blade disk tilts in the proper directions. Will this and blade coning be simulated?

Edited by nightsta1ker

I'd be very surprised if the rotors visibly change angle when you use the collective but not when you use the cyclic. Why even bother animating the former otherwise?

The dual control system is a weird one though, i'd also like clarification on that.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions RiE, looking forward to hearing more.

When we first announced Take On Helicopters, a lot of interesting questions were quickly raised by the community. This nebulous number of floating queries soon collapsed under their own weight to form one post.

Next week, we hope to update our blog with a full set of answers to the questions, but, for now, here's just three to get us going.

And don't even think about trying to edit the list now. We're watching you. High above. In our Helicopter. Watching. Waiting. Judging.

Best,

RiE

Wow, thank you for the reply! I really didn´t think that someone from BI would actually respond.

Looking forward to the blog post!

So, who applied for the game testing in the BI HQ in the Czeh Republic?

Thanks for those info :)

integrating 6-DOF and mapping animations to the players range of movements provides some challenges, which we're certainly still evaluating.

Does this mean you're not sure to implement 6-DOF or you're just looking for the best way to implement it correctly ?

There's been a question that's kept popping to my mind ever since April and won't go away.

I wonder if Take On Helicopters is going to be the first in a series of games? Perhaps a series which can be linked together like OA/CO. As in "Take On Ships", "Take On Fire Fighters & Police" or dare I even hope for something like "Take On Zombies" :D

Granted, there are dedicated sims catering for all those and more, but no-one's yet dared to try putting them together. As the Španěl brothers tend to think outside the box, I think they might have at least toyed with an idea for such series. And the choise of title seems strangely suggestive...

I have one question regarding 6-DOF, or 4-DOF. Will be Free Track supported, or only TrackIR?

Will be force feedback joystick supported? (Is it even worth it?)

It's time to slowly prepare missing rigs for game, so I don't want to make mistake.

Wow, all this feedback from just three answers! The forums will explode when we unleash the rest... :D

Seriously, though, thanks for taking the time to post your responses, guys, it's always welcome and really helps us think about our decisions in different ways - sometimes it's meant re-evaluating, sometime it's meant double-checking our initial motivations and constraints..

I'll try to update/ refine the FAQ to answer these a little more carefully, but no guarantees -- it's going to be a busy week with E3 looming, and the BI team are rolling out on Friday!

Best,

RiE

Could You please comment ficional chelicopters models? I think it is one of the most discussed topics here. Thank You!

Sam

Wow, all this feedback from just three answers! The forums will explode when we unleash the rest... :D

Seriously, though, thanks for taking the time to post your responses, guys, it's always welcome and really helps us think about our decisions in different ways - sometimes it's meant re-evaluating, sometime it's meant double-checking our initial motivations and constraints..

I'll try to update/ refine the FAQ to answer these a little more carefully, but no guarantees -- it's going to be a busy week with E3 looming, and the BI team are rolling out on Friday!

Best,

RiE

Hehe , it's our pleasure . It's nice to see you doing something different from Arma . We don't want you rage quiting on us :p

Best,

RiE

Well i thought it was interesting to read but i hadnt even noticed it until just now. :p

I'd be very surprised if the rotors visibly change angle when you use the collective but not when you use the cyclic. Why even bother animating the former otherwise?

The dual control system is a weird one though, i'd also like clarification on that.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions RiE, looking forward to hearing more.

Just wanted to toss out that this is definately not something to shun, from the tests with our apache I can tell you certainly that this is a very immersive feature and it's not as easily overlooked as you might think, it also helps to make you feel as though you are more in the cockpit since your eye is subtley seeing the blades changing their angles (It also leads to nice airshow displays). This could also lead to more blade dynamics considering TOH is more dedicated, letting you do more things with it than we could.

Either way looking forward to it.

Edited by NodUnit

We decided to create three distinct fictional helicopter classes for several reasons but I am not going to give you any more details about this decision. We believe these three classes - light, medium and heavy - are very representative of various real world helicopters.

Also, we are confident that our users looking for as accurate and as detailed representation of particular helicopter types will be more than well served by talented addon makers after the game release.

Our mission for core TKOH game is to create as good as possible helicopter experience - including but not limited to well built career mode and tutorials that will train users how to flight helicopters and introduce them to a world of helicopter simulators - and provide examples good enough for people to create whatever they like later in the game.

Could You please comment ficional chelicopters models? I think it is one of the most discussed topics here. Thank You!

Sam

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 PM ----------

Taking On sharper focus is exactly what this game is all about and it is very refreshing in many ways. Right now, the focus is clearly on helicopters and anything beyond is just blurred :cool:

There's been a question that's kept popping to my mind ever since April and won't go away.

I wonder if Take On Helicopters is going to be the first in a series of games? Perhaps a series which can be linked together like OA/CO. As in "Take On Ships", "Take On Fire Fighters & Police" or dare I even hope for something like "Take On Zombies" :D

Granted, there are dedicated sims catering for all those and more, but no-one's yet dared to try putting them together. As the Španěl brothers tend to think outside the box, I think they might have at least toyed with an idea for such series. And the choise of title seems strangely suggestive...

Taking On sharper focus is exactly what this game is all about and it is very refreshing in many ways. Right now, the focus is clearly on helicopters and anything beyond is just blurred :cool:

Might that fuzzy, blurred image on the horizon have some distinctive shape? A plane, or a ship perhaps? ;)

@Maruk, thank you for the honest response.

provide examples good enough for people to create whatever they like later in the game.

That sounds promising. I hope this sort of mentality will stay for A3 as well.

Just wanted to toss out that this is definately not something to shun, from the tests with our apache I can tell you certainly that this is a very immersive feature and it's not as easily overlooked as you might think, it also helps to make you feel as though you are more in the cockpit since your eye is subtley seeing the blades changing their angles (It also leads to nice airshow displays). This could also lead to more blade dynamics considering TOH is more dedicated, letting you do more things with it than we could.

Either way looking forward to it.

Ah, that's not entirely what I meant, although I see how you could read it that way. I just meant it would seem strange, to me, for BIS to go to the effort of animating one aspect of the rotor system while ignoring another. I hope they go all the way and recreate all the visual aspects of the rotors.

That sounds promising. I hope this sort of mentality will stay for A3 as well.

Indeed, I like the sound of that. Bodes well for addon makers.

Edited by Daniel

Ah, that's not entirely what I meant, although I see how you could read it that way. I just meant it would seem strange, to me, for BIS to go to the effort of animating one aspect of the rotor system while ignoring another. I hope they go all the way and recreate all the visual aspects of the rotors.

Animating the collective is easier than animating the pitch from what I've gandered in the config and seen in action, for example in collective the blades move up and down in uniform with no change other than how the collective is moving.

Cyclic motion however demands that the blades pitch in certain ways that are not uniform, say we are moving forward, the "front" blades arch downward while the "rear" blades arc up, they must also transition this arc as they rotate. Not to mention you may have the swashplate rotating but staying 'flat' on the desired angle as well as possibly pitch links and scissors flexing or pulling pending on articulation.

Edited by NodUnit