Sign in to follow this  
instagoat

The "Interesting Questions about the Game" thread, according to Instagoat

Decided to put some questions together about the game. Dunno if they´ll be answered, but at least it could spark some interesting conversation about what the game will, and what it won´t be. So, here goes:

Campaign Questions:

Will there be a business aspect included in the Campaign (Buying, Maintaining and Selling Helos, Recruiting Personell and Organizing Contracts and Missions)?

Will there be wear and tear on the helos as they operate, and associated maintainance costs? Will different types of helos be harder to operate than others? (For example, more expensive replacement parts when operating a Kasatka versus a Huey)

Will there be distinct characters in the campaign, and a story attached to them?

Will the game take place in the Armaverse? Will there be crossovers with OFP/Arma?

Will there be competing helo operators? How will they influence the campaign?

Flight and Helo modelling Questions:

How many helos will be included, and which types? How many vehicles in total, including AI only and ground vehicles?

How deep will the simulation experience be? How much detail and complexity will there be modelled in the stock aircraft?

Will there be clickable cockpits?

Will characters be drawn in first person, and will they be animated as they operate the helicopter? (This is opposed to the empty pits usually coming with sims such as IL2COD or FSX, where the pilot body is not rendered)

How detailed will the flight model be? (Will it model details such as retreating blade stall, vortex ring state or realistic auto rotation procedures?)

How detailed will the damage model be? (Does the DM include wear and tear, overstressing the airframe and lifting surfaces, loosing parts of the aircraft and associated impacts on the flight model, randomized failiures based on aircraft age, maintainance state and type?)

How detailed will the engine simulation be, and what types of engines will be modelled? Will the weather and flying altitude influence the power profile on the engines, or similar effects?

Environment and weather modelling Questions:

How detailed will the environment be?

How large will the environment be?

Will there be civilian ground traffic? (Editor Module based?)

Will there be civilian air traffic? (Editor Module based?)

Will there be a simulation of air traffic routes and associated navigational aids (VOR/NDB, ILS beacons, strobes on high rise buildings, running lights on ships and cars, etc.)

Will there be city hazards, such as telephone and electrical wires running between buildings, power lines, street lights, trees, etc.?

Will there be an advanced weather simulation? (Up and Downdrafts, Shear winds, Building aerodynamics, cloud formation and precipitation, dynamic weather in general?)

Will AI be affected by the weather at all?

Modding Questions:

Will BI provide an editing suite as is provided for OFP/Arma? Will this be immediately after release, or after some time has passed?

With how much extra detail over the stock aircraft can modders construct their own aircraft?

Is the simulation limited to rotor wing aircraft, or could modders build fixed wing aircraft using the stock code too?

Is there cross-compatabillity of Arma 2 terrains with TakeOn and vice versa?

Is there cross-compatabillity of Arma 2 aircraft or vehicles in general with TOH, with Helos receiving a „default“ flightmodel until a detailed one is provided by the modder?

Mission Editor Questions:

How will the ME differ from the one shipped with OFP/Arma?

Multiplayer Questions:

What types of game modes will there be present by default? Races, Missions, Challenges?

What is the scope of modes that can be constructed using the Editor?

Will there be a multiplayer campaign? (Cooperatively, or competing with one another)

Coop question: Is sharing an aircraft possible between multiple players?

Will we get an ArmeX like gamemode?

EDITS: Updated multiplayer section, added question about Terrain size.

Edited by InstaGoat

Very complete, thanks. I would also ask about the multiplayer game modes. Multiplayer campaign? What type of mult game modes?

I am most concerned about the helicopter flight models.Lets face it the flight model in Arma/Arma 2 isn't that great.Helicopters accelerate way too fast and at unrealistic speeds and take forever to slow down.It makes precision landing quickly into LZs very difficult.I would much prefer that Arma came to a standard somewhere near the models in X-plane or MSFS.I know they won't come to that standard but anything better then whats in Arma would be appreciated.

WarriorM4, don't you think if BIS release a game that focus on helo the first thing they'll probably do is reworking the flight model ???

Also before spreading your concerns into every single thread you might want to have a look at this

PCG: Flight in Arma has some simulation-like qualities to it–you can retract flaps and gear, turn on autopilot, planes can stall, but the overall control dynamics are simplified–there’s little-to-no “switch-flipping.†How will that simplicity of control compare to Take On?

JC: Perhaps unsurprisingly, precise control over a helicopter is a vital piece of the game. We’re definitely taking the fidelity of our simulation to the next level, and we’re working hard on some in-cockpit features/functionality that we hope to gleefully present in the near future. Take On is built around a high-fidelity helicopter flight dynamics model, completely different to more the generic, simplified one used in Arma series so far.

That being said, our designers are “encouraged†to ensure that playing with the mouse and keyboard is just as satisfying as it is with a fully-blown flight control set up. Our focus is upon really nailing the experience of flying a helicopter. Authenticity, realism, fun – they’re all part of the same thing in our game.

I hope it's clear now ;)

Edited by Macadam Cow

I wouldn't compare the flight model with Arma 2 all the time. Let's see what BI reveal about it but I think that making a heli sim definitely included a new (and better) flight model than in A2!

EDIT:

Thank you, Macadam Cow. You made it clearer than me! :D

I'm still questioning who is going to buy a game like take on. And if it really becomes a success. It's hard to set foot into the flight simulator game gerne. The ones that are popular are all titles which made a name into this genre. Il2, Flightsimulator, x-plane etc. these are all names which had several titles. The aspect of an accessible flightsimulator has came into the mind of alot of combat flightsimulator makers. Their a dozens of wII dogfight games but how many of those "easy" accessible titles became succesfull??

@coops

every one that is now popular in the flight sim genre had to start one day. It's not that all of a sudden they appeared with XX titles released, they started one day with one title.

I'm still questioning who is going to buy a game like take on. And if it really becomes a success. It's hard to set foot into the flight simulator game gerne. The ones that are popular are all titles which made a name into this genre. Il2, Flightsimulator, x-plane etc. these are all names which had several titles. The aspect of an accessible flightsimulator has came into the mind of alot of combat flightsimulator makers. Their a dozens of wII dogfight games but how many of those "easy" accessible titles became succesfull??

The kind of people that buy Arma? BIS has a niche in immersive, realistic, do-what-you-want/go-where-you-like games. I'm sure there's a big market for a game that would let you fly a helicopter in an environment more realistic than most flight sims.

I got a question too. Will it be full priced title ($50) like ArmA series or it will cost $20 or so. Thanks.

I got a question too. Will it be full priced title ($50) like ArmA series or it will cost $20 or so. Thanks.

In the PC Gamer interview they said it will be the price of a new game.

not complete ...

is that the player can play firefighter missions...like my ArmA mod "Sécurité Civil" ...???

,)

Expect fidelity, but not full-on, switch-flipping, hardcore simulation along the lines of DCS.

Hmm, bummer. Full price game and not even have switches :(

That being said, our designers are “encouraged†to ensure that playing with the mouse and keyboard is just as satisfying as it is with a fully-blown flight control set up.

If they would fix the Analog Throttle, I think they would just make a freaking big step forward... :j:

Probably gonna skip this one... sounds to... boring :rolleyes:

Still skeptical...is this a very well engineered april fools joke or is it serious.. Depending on the fidelity I may buy it but I'd really rather see it as a sort of expansion to buy for Arma2.

Reason for that is as wonderful as a flight sim such as say flight simulator is, it's only civilian, sure you CAN have military helicopters but they are pretty much for looks, no weapons or functions. There is also that aspect of versatility that makes arma2 so special in that you can have simulated items and vehicles in a wide range and go from one to the other rather than being stuck in one single ala steel beasts and DCS black shark but have a mix.

If BIS did go the module route I'm pretty sure people would buy it, hell how many people wouldn't want more simulated and the ability to simulate vehicles in greater depth? But hey lets wait and see where this goes.

On that note does anyone know if this is geared specificly towards non attack varied helicopters, sling loading possible and so on? Perhaps some rope physics would be nice so I could fly a humvee then ruin it on my approach because I slammed it down thus breaking the suspension.

And other question, is this an entirerly different engine?

Edited by NodUnit

@NodUnit: This interview should answer all your questions.

And no, it's confirmed not to be an April fools joke. ToH is 100% legit.

Ah yes that did infact, thank you for linking..I love that they are focusing mainly on single player and making a huge world, but my heart really stopped when I read interactive cockpit and picture in picture, oh if they made it moddable the things that could be done... will be keeping an eye on this one.

Ah yes that did infact, thank you for linking..I love that they are focusing mainly on single player and making a huge world, but my heart really stopped when I read interactive cockpit and picture in picture, oh if they made it moddable the things that could be done... will be keeping an eye on this one.

Not to forget that the development of ToH leads to cool things related to Arma:

1. Several of the new features in ToH (such as PiP/RTT) could be ported to Arma2, according to the interview and a post made by RoyaltyInExile.

2. They could be using ToH as a technology test bed for a possible future Arma3:

We see a great potential for future instalments of the Arma series by moving much closer to reign of flight simulators; however, this would be impossible to achieve if we tried to do it in a project of the scale and variety of Arma 2, rather than a dedicated development.

___

So from the way I understand the info we have so far, BIS are taking some key aspects of the Arma series (heli flight model, terrain) and focusing solely on those elements in a game with a much tighter scope, so that these elements can be expanded upon and tuned to perfection. Then, sometime down the road, they might make a successor to Arma2, building upon the new tech they have built using ToH.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they also made a dedicated tank sim/game like Steel Beasts some time in the future, just to polish the armor aspect of the RV engine aswell. Basically they would be branching out the development of several of those key aspects that make Arma2 so complex, focussing on those elements individually in separate games until they are polished to perfection, then merge them back into a single uber-game: Arma3.

In the mean time, a few of the compatible features trickle back into Arma2 to keep us all happy with shiny new stuff, the additional revenue from the new games keeps the company afloat and BIS can take their time making Arma3 more awesome than anyone could possibly imagine.

Now please excuse me while I go wipe all this fanboy semen off my trousers...

Hell PIP in Arma would be beyond a wonderous thing, that would open sooo many days and things would feel more high tech..must not get too excited though, these things are a long way away but I will always be hoping. (the day I can fly my apache's around and simulate "The bag" is the day I'll cream my pants)

Hm, I too am a bit skeptical about this announcement.

Being a big fan of the DCS series as well as Arma, I felt that Arma always had its strength in the large quantity of playable vehicles with medium fidelity.

DCS always has a single playable platform with absolute fidelity.

BIS decision to do a narrow category game took me by surprise, especially a civil one.

Coming from DCS Blackshark I can say there are only so many things you could meaningfully do with a whirlybird and after a while it got boring.

And thats for BlackShark, which had all the switches, computers and stuff fully modeled, and vikhrs to boot !

I hope for BIS that this title will be a success, although honestly I doubt it.

Still ready to be pleasantly surprised here ;)

Just my 0.02€

Crusader

Probably going to buy it, if it works well, the flight model is nice and MP is interesting, its going to be amazing. I'd love to fly a TV-heli, police heli etc.

A BIS game I can play with my two toddler sons! SOLD!!! :D

The only remaining big question I have, has allready been asked by CheyenneAH56 earlier in this thread, but I have to add one note for the developers to consider:

If TOH includes choppers with fire fighting systems, I'm positive BIS will have at least one Very Happy Customer (current age 3). That's a person you can sell a lot of games, addon discs and DLC to ;)

SOLD

I fire up Arma 2 all the time just to screw around with choppers so this will be great.

Hm, I too am a bit skeptical about this announcement.

Being a big fan of the DCS series as well as Arma, I felt that Arma always had its strength in the large quantity of playable vehicles with medium fidelity.

DCS always has a single playable platform with absolute fidelity.

BIS decision to do a narrow category game took me by surprise, especially a civil one.

Coming from DCS Blackshark I can say there are only so many things you could meaningfully do with a whirlybird and after a while it got boring.

And thats for BlackShark, which had all the switches, computers and stuff fully modeled, and vikhrs to boot !

I hope for BIS that this title will be a success, although honestly I doubt it.

Still ready to be pleasantly surprised here ;)

Just my 0.02€

Crusader

With this community and its modders + the editor I doubt it will ever get boring!!

The one thing I want to know is where is the place in Asia they choose for the game. Orthought very less likely, I do hope they pick Hong Kong as one of the location to model, our local Government Flying Service can proved a good example for high fidelity of mission from sea and mountain SAR under all weather, fighting wildfire, Medical EVAC, Aerial Survey, personal and cargo transports to even Spec-Ops insertions;).

On the contrast, however, it is understandable for BI to not picking Hong Kong as we have limited civil Aerial operation in the area.