Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead & Reinforcements, version 1.59 - Patch released

I got a whole slew of errors when installing. Is this some kind of April Fool's Joke?

The installer said the patch was applied successfully (after the series of "Error Found in filename" notices) to v1.59, but when I boot up ArmA 2 OA, it is still v1.57.

Edited by Uziyahu--IDF

With Steam, perhaps you can use the beta to join on 1.59 servers.

Also people have been successfully installing the official 1.59 patch on their steam install, just launch outside of steam, and once officially released on steam you can repair it with the steam installer.

i see so few players on 1.59, is the message getting out about the release?

Sometimes I think it would be better to download Arma II and OA images illigally and install Combined Operations with keys from Steam than playing the game on Steam and waiting over and over again for patches. The only thing which keeps me off doing this is both DLCs which are also on Steam.

Edited by birtuma

With Steam, perhaps you can use the beta to join on 1.59 servers.

Also people have been successfully installing the official 1.59 patch on their steam install, just launch outside of steam, and once officially released on steam you can repair it with the steam installer.

I have the Steam version as well of all content and wishing Steam would get in gear and get it out.

I'm leery of using non-Steam to patch when Steam will be putting theirs out. This has caused HUGE problems for me in the past and a few patches ago, Steam actually redownloaded the whole game.

Anyone here have Steam and installed the patch and it works fine?

Im too waiting for the Steam patch. Id much rather use a patch made for Steam than try something made for something else.

Why would they have ATOC enabled by default? Maybe they like big long threads of the same question. Doesn't make much sense to me either. The effect looks terrible anyway.
Yeh I guess if it was a graphics option it would help, but its a config switch instead and yes default.

Well, I have worked out with Atoc that to get good visuals from it you need to be at least medium to high AA and a bit of post process smooths it off. If you are standard res and have it Normal to low AA that's when you get that "scratchy grid ends" look to it. So it can hit FPS to get a decent look from it, so to smooth it use only high upwards AA (If you can afford too for fps)

So far I have set my Interface res -1 under my native res for monitor, but then 1+ (114%) for 3D res (I like the smooth look this gives). I set Atoc for all trees only (Combined ops so Atoc=6) and AA = Normal, this smooths things out well and keeps FPS to normal on my rig.

ATOC info (for those who realise fps hit is more and trees and grass look blurry after patch install) ....

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/arma2.cfg

Check the last setting in the box:

AToC=7; (default)

Level of Alpha To Coverage AA ( 7=all enabled(default) or 0=disabled (normal AA prior ATOC)) // standalone

0 - disabled

1 - AToC on grass

2 - AToC on new OA trees (takistan, zargabad, proving ground, shapur)

4 - AToC on old A2 trees (utes, chernarus)

// combined

3 - AToC on grass & OA trees

5 - AToC on A2 trees + grass

6 - AToC on A2 + OA trees

7 - AToC enabled on grass, A2 & OA trees (default)

Edited by mrcash2009

The patch is working fine here (Steam version). Just had to launch the game, wait till the BAF and PMC instalations appear and cancel the launching so they could be installed.

The patch is working fine here (Steam version). Just had to launch the game, wait till the BAF and PMC instalations appear and cancel the launching so they could be installed.

Yeah its hit and miss though. It worked for 2 squad members of mine, but it cuased 3 of them to have to re-install from scratch (they both had the DLC from steam while hte other two didn't)

Our server is waiting till steam puts out the patch, as am I.

I always shudder when one of our new players turns up saying ok guys I'm ready to join your server, and we say did you patch and he says I have the steam version...

we have a 3 week policy for official patches (and a never policy for betas) - after 3 weeks I will putthenewpatch on our server. The guys will all attempt to download it during this time but not install it.

it's a sensible move if you have a good squad who regularly play together...

Yeah its hit and miss though. It worked for 2 squad members of mine, but it cuased 3 of them to have to re-install from scratch (they both had the DLC from steam while hte other two didn't)

Our server is waiting till steam puts out the patch, as am I.

That is exactly why I'm waiting - I don't trust BIS and their product implementation of their products on the STEAM platform (which I don't need to go into as its been documented in other threads on here).

They still haven't (and unlikely) managed to change the current implementation so everything installs into the same root directory as does with the Retail-Disc version - I don't like the workaround implemented but at least it works.

Crap need help.

I have two arma folders one on me main C drive that I installed from disk then another COPY on me D drive I just copy and pasted from C drive and then use a short cut to the D drive.

Normally when I install BETA I can copy paste the BETA folder into me D drive from me C drive.

But now with the official patch what can I do? I don't really want to copy the whole folder again or is that the only way.

Please advise as I am waiting to test this on me dedi server etc.

Thanks

I always shudder when one of our new players turns up saying ok guys I'm ready to join your server, and we say did you patch and he says I have the steam version

I dont think this game is playable online or if it was even meant for multiplayer. How can you say so when there's so much lag no matter how fast your connection is. for me I never try online, always in the mission editor.

it could be quite bad sometimes in the past but allot has changed, You just have to find a server that is not to far away and is stable. but,..have you tried with the new patch? its pretty good :)

Edited by larsiano

Flickering textures on Zagabad and Takistan again. They WERE fixed but now flickering badly again with this patch.

Yes I have noticed the flickering LOD things again like we had part way through the betas.

I get it most obvious on Proving Grounds .. the dead trees will stay low LOD close and flicker into high, also scoping onto the far farm the building will misshape slightly like the LOD is not sure to be far or near quality version.

If I pan around and stop still and just slowly 360 the flickering is abvious.

Need to test more on other maps. I have my graphics level textures to normal as well as vid mem.

Anyone with MPC go into Proving grounds and scope around and walk in the middle of the map, scope into buildings, how does it look?

Arma crashes wery often with this Patch....where should I send the RPT and mdp and so on to? I kind of forgot :o

Plenty of response from BIS on various issues, but no answers on when the patch will be available on Steam.

I'm getting more than a little annoyed with how the patch delivery is delt with.

Time and time again this happens - release a patch for half of the community as soon as it's done, but don't wait (and more likely probably don't schedule with Steam) for a release of the Steam patch to occur simultaniously.

How many patches have we seen now? This happens every time!

Can you please for the love of god attempt to fix this for the next time you release a patch??

It shouldn't be the case of people saying "Oh god no. Not this pain again!" when a patch is released.

for STEAM users:

same as with ARMA 2 patch 1.09,

technical difficulties are in way, no ETA for now

p.s. it's sad that You even think it's our fault

Why don't people install the official patch - it's said to work just fine without steam launcher - and can later repair when released on Steam?

Thanks Dwarden, didn't see that post.

I know I likely will be seen by most everyone has having "no right" to ask this or make the suggestion of this-

Is there a reason this patch was released prior the Steam one being ready?

Or was it ready and it's a technical issue on Steam's side?

Why don't people install the official patch - it's said to work just fine without steam launcher - and can later repair when released on Steam?

Because a) the last time we were told this it didn't work for everyone and b) because it was advised not to, to wait instead.

Have you tried it Sickboy?

Edited by Harlow[16AA]

;1890013']Thanks Dwarden' date=' didn't see that post.

I know I likely will be seen by most everyone has having "no right" to ask this or make the suggestion of this-

Is there a reason this patch was release prior the Steam one being ready?

Or was it ready and it's a technical issue on Steam's side?[/quote']

1.59 deadline was 31st because of the A2: RFT being 1.58 build

thus the owners of OA/CO 1.57 would not be able play with RFT owners and vice versa ...

in relation to the other problem You trying understood i will just point here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Because a) the last time we were told this it didn't work for everyone and b) because it was advised not to, to wait instead.

Have you tried it Sickboy?

do You ever read the Notice: notes at download page?

http://www.arma2.com/index.php?option=com_rokdownloads&view=file&Itemid=20&id=511%3Aarma2oa-a-rft-patch-1〈=en

it says

This update is for all versions of Arma 2: OA & RFT including STEAM. However for STEAM version we recommend to use STEAM update.

Arma 2:OA 1.59 update includes the PMC 1.01 and the BAF 1.02 and A2 from 1.05to1.09 updates.

1.59 deadline was 31st because of the A2: RFT being 1.58 build

thus the owners of OA/CO 1.57 would not be able play with RFT owners and vice versa ...

I understand that reasoning. You have a shipped product you need to make compatible. Fair enough.

in relation to the other problem You trying understood i will just point here: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

Yep, well aware of Valve-Time as well as a modest degree of other insight.

I do indeed. That's where it's recommended that Steam users wait for the Steam patch.

This update is for all versions of Arma 2: OA & RFT including STEAM. However for STEAM version we recommend to use STEAM update.

And I've also seen a few replies on other forums where people are having difficulties with using that patch on a Steam version of the game.

Please don't get me wrong Dwarden.

I, as much as everyone else, appreciate the work that goes into this, patching and the delivery of it and in particular you and the rest of BIS' avid support of the community of this unique game.

It's just a real shame that everytime a patch is released there seems to be one problem or another with the Steam delivery. I'm not saying it's all on your end either - I'm pretty sure it's not. It's just ... annoying (which I'm sure is something you think I'm being and I know is something you think Steam is being ;)).

Thanks for answering my questions anyway. I shall remain patient and when I fail in that, I'll give the disc-patch install a go.

Edited by Harlow[16AA]